Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey all -- Pre newbie here having just made the switch from the Blackberry Curve to the Pre Plus last week and loving it so far. Here's my newbie question and I apologize ahead of time if this is already in a thread somewhere. I did search but over 500 threads come back for night!

What do I do with this phone at night? On the Blackberry, you could turn it "off" which basically put it to sleep. It would still charge, but wouldn't get any email, calls, texts, ... until you turned it back on in the morning.

On the Pre, it wasn't clear to me if it would actually charge from the touchstone while it was off. There is no light to indicate it is charging. Recently, I've been turning the ringer switch off and letting it just sit on the touchstone with it's clock and unlock button displayed. I don't care about email, calls, or texts overnight, but wasn't sure how else to leave the phone.

1) Should I turn off the phone periodically like I used to have to do on the BB to clear out memory?
    2) Does it charge even while off either via touchstone or wall charger?
    3) What do you do with your phone overnight?

Thanks much from newbie land!
    Rgds/Mark M.
    You don't have to turn it off periodically if you download the homebrew app jstop which clears out memory. I charge my phone on the touchstone at night and use it as my alarm clock. No it will not charge on the touchstone while off.
    Just turn the ringer off (switch at the top of the Pre > Red showing) if you want to not have ringers.
    no need to reset it like a blackberry to free up memory....i just put it on the touchstone overnight, have the no auto off while charging patch, so my screen stays on so i can see if i get mail or texts....
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Welcome Palm Pre newbie... Hope the phone is working out for you and your enjoying it. Due to my early work schedule, I just flip the ringer on, set my alarm and plug the pre into my wall outlet... i leave my touchstone at work... and i just let it go. when im at work i just flip the ringer off and leave it on the touchstone... so my phone spends a good 95% of the day on a charger
    I have preset reset (homebrew app) set to reset my pre every night at 1am. I put it on the Touchstone and leave it.

I have the 800MHz patch installed with CPUscaler, never had a heating issue, my pre spends most of its time @ 250MHz.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 04/20/2010 at 03:42 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I wish the pre's alarm would wake me up, just not loud enough, i live on 5-7 hours sleep per night... so mine is just being a phone overnight lol
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I use Preset Reset app to reset it everyday at 4 am. Most nights I just leave it on touchstone.
    Thinking about it, I wonder whether the Touchstone would charge the device while off. Given the proximity of the contacts to the battery, it seems just as likely it would work as wouldn't. Time for some experimentation.

I leave mine online on the Touchstone overnight, but if you want to NOT get any email/phone calls/texts overnight, you should probably put it in "Airplane Mode" to turn off all the radios. Just don't forget to take it out of Airplane Mode in the morning.

My Centro used to have a connection scheduler where I could set a weekday/weekend schedule for turning off the phone radio overnight. Has anyone done that for webOS yet?
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    I don't think you want to know what some people do with their pre's at night.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    AGREED!
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post

My Centro used to have a connection scheduler where I could set a weekday/weekend schedule for turning off the phone radio overnight. Has anyone done that for webOS yet?
    See if this works for you:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...er-thread.html
    yea, I preset reset it at 5am every day as well. I've just started using jstop, we'll see if that makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    Thinking about it, I wonder whether the Touchstone would charge the device while off. Given the proximity of the contacts to the battery, it seems just as likely it would work as wouldn't. Time for some experimentation.
    I think you might find it a challenge to get the Pre to stay off while on the Touchstone. If you turn off the Pre and place it on the Touchstone, the Pre will automatically boot up and stay on.

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Pocket Party (from the App Catalog)
    just hit the mute switch and leave the phone on the touchstone, (you can get myClock to see the weather and a clock, but that's tooting my own horn)
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I use preset reset also from homebrew. I keep it charging at night and use it for my alarm clock. So far so good.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Airplane mode at night ? Would that work for you?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey All -- Fabulous board! Thanks to all who replied so far. I haven't bitten the homebrew bug yet. I've read the how-to's, but haven't hit anything I can't live without so far. The ability to modify the autocorrect, is getting me close. I got so used to the BB's excellent autocorrect that I find myself expecting all the same shortcuts to work here. I've read a lot on the 800 MHz patch. I'm not sure what other homebrews are considered "must-haves".

I too considered airplane mode, but am concerned I'd forget to turn it off the next day. Right now, I go with ringer to off and let it sit. I'm old school -- I use an actual alarm clock as an alarm clock :-)
    Rgds/Mark M.
    FYI, the Pre's alarm is still usable with the ringer off - check the clock preferences. I leave mine on all the time in case of an emergency call. I sleep through the notifications and alerts and the Pre's alarm clock wakes me everyday.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast