Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Actually the holster protects the phone, keeps it out of your pocket and away from keys while allowing quick access. Everyone has a mobile phone and in the holster the phone is not discernable, who would be showing it off?

it's worth repeating...bring on the 4.2 inch!
    Same in the UK, a sideholster is up there with a comedy tie for making you look a figure of ridicule. I appreciate that culturally it's different in the US but that's just how we roll in Europe...
    Again...who the hell carries phones in pockets??? people go buy a side holster and stop holding back progress...yes it's worth repeating
    Wake up to the 21st century! Holsters are so 90s it's not funny.

Maybe things are different in the US but over here you don't see anyone with them any more. They were a necessary evil when mobiles first became popular but a major fashion faux pas these days. If a phone won't fit in my trouser pocket without making me look like I've got a stiffy then I won't be buying it.

And what is with wanting it to be so thin? One of the reasons I dislike the iPhone (and the iPod) is that it is too thin and seems fragile. The Pre is just about the perfect thickness, I could live with about 1/2" longer and 1/4" wider but that would be my limit.

My eyesight is in the begining to fail bracket but the Pre screen works fine for me for the short periods I use it for.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 04/22/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Same in the UK, a sideholster is up there with a comedy tie for making you look a figure of ridicule. I appreciate that culturally it's different in the US but that's just how we roll in Europe...
    It's not different in the US. It's a pretty dorky thing to do here also. You won't find very many stylish people wearing phone holsters. IT'S NOT COOL TO WEAR A PHONE HOLSTER IN AMERICA. I, for one, am proud of my geekiness/dorkiness, but won't rock a holster because they look ridiculous and my pants are big enough for my phone.

You'll just find that many people on this forum don't really care or realize that they look like dorks. Then they'll say things like: "Actually the holster protects the phone, keeps it out of your pocket and away from keys while allowing quick access. Everyone has a mobile phone and in the holster the phone is not discernable, who would be showing it off?"
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It's not different in the US. It's a pretty dorky thing to do here also. You won't find very many stylish people wearing phone holsters. IT'S NOT COOL TO WEAR A PHONE HOLSTER IN AMERICA. I, for one, am proud of my geekiness/dorkiness, but won't rock a holster because they look ridiculous and my pants are big enough for my phone.

You'll just find that many people on this forum don't really care or realize that they look like dorks. Then they'll say things like: "Actually the holster protects the phone, keeps it out of your pocket and away from keys while allowing quick access. Everyone has a mobile phone and in the holster the phone is not discernable, who would be showing it off?"
    +1 oddlou.

Part of the reason why iPhone sells so well is the perception that an iPhone makes you cool, hip and trendy. If dorks are walking around whipping their Pres out of a holster on their belt it sure won't help to boost the "cool" factor of a Pre.

Case in point: Which one of these guys is most likely to wear a holster for their phone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post

Really? Is that something you read in US Weekly or saw on Gossip Girl? Last I checked holsters were created to protect your phone. Now if your one to carry multiple phones and holsters then maybe your treading the dork line. I agree most iPhone users don't know what kind of device they have, and got it because it was cool. The same can be said for die hard pre fans. Personally I cannot sit down and keep my pre in my pocket the phone is too fragile for that, and the case for the pre is the most horrendous thing I've seen in my life....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Really? Is that something you read in US Weekly or saw on Gossip Girl? Last I checked holsters were created to protect your phone. Now if your one to carry multiple phones and holsters then maybe your treading the dork line. I agree most iPhone users don't know what kind of device they have, and got it because it was cool. The same can be said for die hard pre fans. Personally I cannot sit down and keep my pre in my pocket the phone is too fragile for that, and the case for the pre is the most horrendous thing I've seen in my life....
    Pocket protectors were created to protect your pockets. Does that make them cool? Does anyone need US Weekly or Gossip Girl (whatever that is) to tell them that pocket protectors are nerdy? Look, I don't care about being cool-didn't when I was a kid, really don't now that I have kids. But you big ol' dorks acting like carrying a phone in a holster is anything but super dorky is funny. Don't mislead our stylish european friends. Rock your holster loud and proud, but realize you're screaming out to the world: "I'M A DORK!!"
    Last edited by oddlou; 04/22/2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm with you on this one. What really attracted me to the Pre Plus was the screen size. I just don't want to tote around a huge phone. It's not like I'll be chilling out to watch "Gone With the Wind" on my phone anytime soon. The screen size is absolutely perfect. If they maybe wanted to do away with the gesture area and add a little to screen size there, that would make sense, but they shouldn't make a bigger phone.
    I'm with you. Comparing the size and feel of the pre vs. other devices is not even close. I still am in shock about all the capabilities of the pre in such a small form factor.
    well, personally I've held the HD2 and it's not even comfortable in the hand, and I have pretty big hands! I can just imagine trying to shove the thing into my levi's..
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I won't carry a holster. The phone is always in my left front pocket by itself. I would like a thin Pixi phone with a much larger display. The Pixi could get quite a bit wider and/or taller and still have no problem fitting into most pockets because it is so thin.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    who cares what people think or consider cool? major fail.
    Reminds me of why duschebags buy the Razr back then...

I want my phone not so small that I keep thinking I lost it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Reminds me of why duschebags buy the Razr back then...

I want my phone not so small that I keep thinking I lost it.
    agreed....people are pretty much duches if the buy a phone to be "cool". its a phone....not a fashion statement (and if its a fashion statement to them....well im sorry they still haven't matured past high school yet)

who cares where u have your phone.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 04/22/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    If you can run with a phone in your front slacks flapping around then more power to you europeans and americans that think side cases are uncool....wow
    who cares what people think or consider cool? major fail.
    Dude I get where you are coming from, but people will buy something if they think it makes them look cool. A majority of iPhone users bought it because iPhones are considered cool and trendy, not because they researched the different smartphone platforms and decided iPhone was best. You can say "who cares" but the fact is that most people do. iPhone has the mindshare and that's why it is still selling like mad.

To get back to the original topic of this thread , I hope the next webOS device has a bigger screen. Not bigger than iPhone, but maybe similar in size. That is not too big for pockets imo
    I like the Pre's formfactor and screen size, but I feel Palm has to make a bigger device just to be like everyone else. It's funny but if you compare Pre screen n iPhones in browser, Pre shows more on screen (problaby use smaller font size).
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I vary on my opinion from day to day. There are times when I want a larger screen and others I dont. However, I will say a leap in pixels would be great starting at 4x more pixels would be great to me.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234