Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Most women I have polled have said bigger is, in fact, better....

...sry it had to be done.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    3. The multimedia power users. These are (generally) the younger folks who want an all-in-one device that's a decent PDA, but more importantly, a movie machine, a gaming powerhouse with lots of selection with online multiplayer action, a hefty, full featured music player, big keyboard for those 100 texts a day or more, full browsers.....basically, they want a full computer in a formfactor smaller than a laptop, or even a netbook. I only say younger from my experience. Us older guys generally shy away from the huge beasts of phones, we've already been through that phase, and know its not what we want. My younger sister was at the tail end of that, and wanted smaller, thinner, lighter, thinner, battery life, thinner........two bent Razrs in, she learned that smaller and thinner isn't for her, but she'd had enough time playing with the older, bigger PDA phones to know that wasn't her sweet spot either. My younger cousin is in that "bigger is better" group, she's 22, spends a lot of time at hospitals, waiting between appointments, and found that her laptop was too much of a pain. Get called early for an appt, it takes her a couple of minutes to save and exit, slap the lappie closed, stuff it in the carry bag, and shuffle everything around. For her, a larger phone is ideal, and I expect she'll get something larger than the Pre soon.
    I guess I fall in this group, but I don't want a huge phone. Yes, I do want a bigger phone than the current pre, but that also doesn't mean I want a giant slate like the EVO that won't fit in my pocket. A 3.5-3.7 inch screen device is the perfect size as far as having a large enough screen, but still being small enough to fit in your pocket. Just look at your closed pre and add 1 inch vertically (half inch on top and on bottom), then add half an inch in width (1/4 on each side) , keep the same thinness and tell me that it still wouldn't be pocketable. And with that little extra area they could both fit a larger more confortable keyboard and a larger battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    On a bigger screen:
    Browsing is a much better experience
    Virtual keyboards are better
    Videos are better
    Games are better
    Theres room in the body for a larger battery
    what he said, however it is much better to carry around a pre sized device
    Not sure what type of pants some of you are wearing, but personally I don't wear skinny jeans, so another ~1" isn't going to make that much of a difference in my pocket. Hell, the Evo is even thinner than the Pre.
    If we all keep wanting bigger and bigger screens, we're going to all need to wear iPants which were designed for the iPad.

2:55 into the video to see iPants:

-Skippy
    i don't think bigger is better but i would like a little bigger device so it feels better in my hands
    The same reason why a 200hp car will at some point become too slow for some people, the same reason why even 500hp cars will be tuned to become more powerful by some people.

Small penes. It is statistically proven that your perceived Johnson size grows with the size of your telephone. The exact formula is:

P = (2D / A) * X

where
    P = length of your **** as perceived by onlookers
    D = screen diameter in cm
    A = age of the phone in months since release
    X = manufacturer-specific coolness coefficient, e.g. Apple = 100, Motorola = 10, HTC = 8, Nokia = 1, Palm = 0.002

So if nature didn't see fit to give you an anaconda in your nether reaches, fret not! You can always buy the newest iPhone and a Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini - you'll feel better about yourself and nobody will ever find out about your small secret (never was a pun more intended).
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Why does everyone assume bigger screen means clunkier? Personally I rather not keep my phone in my pocket. It's not too much to want a bigger screen to compliment a device with good resolution. One says they want a bigger screen, then everyone opposing now equates it to an iPad is just ridiculous comparison...
    Again...who the hell carries phones in pockets??? people go buy a side holster and stop holding back progress...yes it's worth repeating
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Again...who the hell carries phones in pockets??? people go buy a side holster and stop holding back progress...yes it's worth repeating
    Hahahaha. Here in Germany, side holsters are synonymous with chubby, nerdy 50+ greybeards, who have been wearing them since the early 90s.

Hey, it's worth repeating: wearing a "holster" for your phone makes you look like an ***** and/or person that desperately needs to show off their telephone.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    I was reading the comments on the pre plus coming to sprint.

A few people wanted a bigger screen? WHY??!?

Why do you want to carry a brick in you pocket? or in you hands?

Why do people want a bigger screen, for what??
    Reasoning like this tends to come from people who have never carried a "brick" phone.

Unless you wear ultra tight pants then the difference between a Pre, iPhone or HD2 isn't nearly as big as it seems. A pocket is a pocket and all these devices do fit, but when it comes to actual usage then the advantage of a bigger screen is monumental.

We're talking about smartphones so these are devices that people buy because their usage leans more on LOOKING at the screen rather than making phone calls. So screen real-estate is a big deal whether you are using the internet, watching video, scheduling meetings, doing spreadsheets or playing games.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hahahaha. Here in Germany, side holsters are synonymous with chubby, nerdy 50+ greybeards, who have been wearing them since the early 90s.

Hey, it's worth repeating: wearing a "holster" for your phone makes you look like an ***** and/or person that desperately needs to show off their telephone.
    Actually the holster protects the phone, keeps it out of your pocket and away from keys while allowing quick access. Everyone has a mobile phone and in the holster the phone is not discernable, who would be showing it off?

it's worth repeating...bring on the 4.2 inch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Reasoning like this tends to come from people who have never carried a "brick" phone.

Unless you wear ultra tight pants then the difference between a Pre, iPhone or HD2 isn't nearly as big as it seems. A pocket is a pocket and all these devices do fit, but when it comes to actual usage then the advantage of a bigger screen is monumental.

We're talking about smartphones so these are devices that people buy because their usage leans more on LOOKING at the screen rather than making phone calls. So screen real-estate is a big deal whether you are using the internet, watching video, scheduling meetings, doing spreadsheets or playing games.
    I think the point isn't that iPhone or HD2 is THAT much more to carry in your pocket. But if you do put your phone in your pocket, smaller is better. I want a phone that disappears in my pocket. They're all pocketable, but if there was such a ranking category, Pre would be #1 in smartphones. Pre is probably as small as you can go and still be a usuable smartphone/PMP/PDA device. Also, larger the screen the more careful you have to be about sitting down and possibly flexing the screen.

Thank god there are options available to consumers. I'm never going back to a holster. They're fine if you're wearing a belt, but if you're wearing sweat/track pants/shorts you have to either halfass clip it to your pocket or between your pants and your draws. If you always wear belts, its not an issue and I guess you could always carry a murse or fanny pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Actually the holster protects the phone, keeps it out of your pocket and away from keys while allowing quick access. Everyone has a mobile phone and in the holster the phone is not discernable, who would be showing it off?

it's worth repeating...bring on the 4.2 inch!
    Actually I just keep my phone in the pocket I don't keep my keys in, where I have quick access and no terrible bulge or "holster" on my belt. Everyone has a pocket, and if your phone is not an absolute brick, it will fit.

It's worth repeating: holsters are for suckers, and extremely large bricks which beg the question "why do you need a device this big?". Have fun toting around your 4.2" monstrosity that's larger than your hand, i hope it boosts your self-image

Holsters are for guns. I don't have one. I don't want one. I fully respect your right to carry your phone around dangling from hanger grifted to your nose if you so choose, so please respect my right to point and laugh at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

My previous phone was a "brick size" phone and that's one thing I hated about it, had to use a dorky belt clip. The Pre's compact size is one of the reasons I purchased the phone
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I think it all depends on what you use the device for. If you use it a lot to play games or watch videos, a bigger screen. But if you want to carry it everywhere you go, then smaller is better.

Personally for me, Pre's size is about right. But there are times I wish it has a bigger and higher resolution screen, it is just the trade off does not worth for me.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Actually I just keep my phone in the pocket I don't keep my keys in, where I have quick access and no terrible bulge or "holster" on my belt. Everyone has a pocket, and if your phone is not an absolute brick, it will fit.

It's worth repeating: holsters are for suckers, and extremely large bricks which beg the question "why do you need a device this big?". Have fun toting around your 4.2" monstrosity that's larger than your hand, i hope it boosts your self-image

Holsters are for guns. I don't have one. I don't want one. I fully respect your right to carry your phone around dangling from hanger grifted to your nose if you so choose, so please respect my right to point and laugh at you.
    You know to each is own, but to call people suckers for using holsters is a foolish thing to do. Fine we get it, you like your little pea sized phone to fit in your pocket, and make your hand feel bigger than it normally is, but that's a PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

4.2" That's flat is not a monster, I have an itouch and I must say application use, and web browsing are far better on it than my pre. When browsing I don't have to pinch zoom, scroll here, double tap this and that just to read one paragragh.

Actually, everyone doesn't have a pocket, nor do we always have belts. Women's skirts and pants don't always have them. In fact frequently they don't. Also, I've see very few dresses with them. Thus, bigger is not better for all of us.

I simply want a smart phone that gives me access to my necessary documents and is very portable and light weight. I carry a very small purse. I do this on purpose to make sure I don't load it with non-essential that are rarely used.

Extra screen real estate that doesn't come with extra weight or size works. Otherwise I don't want a device that is too big 90% of the time. 90% + of the time screen real estate doesn't matter for the functions that I'm using my phone for. I don't need it for listening to Pandora, podcast, or for reading books on pReader. Texting also works fine for me. As far as e-mail, the pinch and expand feature works wonders for reading. Thanks to AutoCorrectEdit, I use keyboard shortcuts and I type entire phrases with a few clicks.

The Pre is the right size for a full blown smart phone. I want to keep the option of the smaller size. There are plenty of other larger, candybar, smartphones on the market for those who prefer a larger phone. I'd like the Pre to keep it's uniqueness and give the same power in it's neat, but usable package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Most women I have polled have said bigger is, in fact, better....

...sry it had to be done.
    We're talking phone size right? Wait until they have neck, back, and shoulder problems from carrying monster size purses and backpacks loaded up with heavy and unnecessary equipment.

I am constantly trying to get my staff to pay attention to their health before it deteriorates. Eating better, walking, drinking water, and carrying smaller purses is part of my weekly campaign with women. Yes, I also tout the Pre instead of big monstrosities/ candy bars that are favored by smart phone makers.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    OK, so the basic idea is "different strokes for different folks" not "my way or the highway." Some people want a bigger screen and some people like the Pre size (me). One is not better than the other; it's whatever works best for you.

Obviously, if Palm could make multiple phones with different form factors, that would be the best solution. The question is, if Palm only has the resources to come up with one new phone, what form factor should it have. I don't have the answer for that and I don't think there really is one. If they can only do one, then Palm just has to take a chance and pick one new form factor. I think, if I was them, I'd probably go with the larger screen form factor since people who like the Pre form factor can just keep their Pre. If they drop the Pre and Pixi and keep making Pre+ and Pixi+, that would keep us Pre-lovers happy. When my Pre stops working, I'll move up to a Pre+.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast