Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else who has NOT installed anything homebrew or preware on their pre?

I used to have "some patches" like the loved 800mhz patch and fb chat patch.

They are all very useful, but i doctored my pre in preparation for the supposedly 1.4.1 from verizon (i just felt that removing the patches is not enough ), and now have been happy so far. (pending the update)

Battery life has been better, more stable (no reboots or glitches, aside form the double type and gps issues). BUT I miss the 800 mhz patch's speed. But overall i think i will stick with a virgin pre!

How about you guys?
    I love my 4x4 patch and the other 29 I have. Patches are perfect.
    My Pre met Preware a long time ago. Since then, they've brought many patches and apps into my life. I don't know where I would be without them.

Seriously though, I've never really had patches or homerbrew apps cause any problems. I've Doctored my Pre a couple times but couldn't stand not having all the modifications I was used to.
    I've noticed this as well, but don't say it too loud because someone'll get on you for bashing Preware. I personally love Preware, but for whatever reason, it and even patches through quick install just don't play nice with my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by braindeadracefan View Post
    I've noticed this as well, but don't say it too loud because someone'll get on you for bashing Preware. I personally love Preware, but for whatever reason, it and even patches through quick install just don't play nice with my phone.
    I don't think the OP was bashing Preware at all. He's just saying how he likes the freshness of a stock Pre
    i try to stay away from all things virgin
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I don't think the OP was bashing Preware at all. He's just saying how he likes the freshness of a stock Pre
    I don't think he was either, and I agree with him. I just meant that someone's bound to come along and see it that way.
    virgin here (Pre-wise)
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts
    I tried Preware for the 1st time last weekend. I added 2 homebrew apps but no patches since I'm still relatively new to the Pre. I'm really interested in trying some soon but I wanted to wait for 1.4.1 to be pushed out on Verizon. My big fear is getting an update pushed while I have a patch and the two not playing nice together. I still don't know enough about the Pre to tinker too much...
    Verizon Pre Plus owner since 03-24-2010
    My Pre is a virgin. I had installed Preware, but got rid of it after 1.41. It seems to run better without the patches. My phone runs great without patches and it's pretty snappy too. No problems with a sluggish phone.
    My pre is a virgin when sprint techs ask but around everyone else it's not
    I had installed Preware in order to get the patch that allows you to export your contacts from the Palm profile (yay Palm for not including this as a feature). The next day I noticed my phone was acting a bit more hinkey than usual. Also noticed that Preware no longer loaded up at all after that patch was installed. Removed Preware and the patch as soon as I no longer needed them. Phone is back to it's normal abbey normal self again. Read into that what you will.
    I agree with notalexrz 100%
    My Pre Plus is a virgin as well.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    My pre is dirty little wh0re....no i kid its a virgin no preware
    I had to doctor my pre about 3 weeks ago, and I just got around to putting patches back on (probably have 25 patches). Overall, I found it was kinda nice to mix it up and use the pre as stock. But I'm happy to have my patches on too.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by braindeadracefan View Post
    I don't think he was either, and I agree with him. I just meant that someone's bound to come along and see it that way.
    thanks guys! i was not at all bashing preware i just want to see a consensus
    Gee I never thought of my Pre as being a virgin but I guess it is just that! I will have to treat it more tenderly now, I guess.
    I don't think there's any conflict between the great work that Preware is doing and the possibility that a patch or two can cause conflicts. Indeed, I find my Pre to be more stable overall when I have no patches installed, but more functional with them. It's an entirely valid tradeoff and takes nothing away from how great it is that 1) Palm allows this kind of tinkering and 2) we have such a talented group of people to take advantage of it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    It's pretty funny that I saw this thread, because I have a related story.

I couldn't get rid of some elements of the last theme that I used, so I decided that a full erase was the way to go.

I now had a Virgin Pre.

Of course, now I had to break her in with Preware. Slowly. Gently.

I was more surprised than I should have been when I saw the new app that had apparently just appeared after attempting Save/Restore through Preware. I did a serious double-take. None of it made sense until after I saw this thread. Check the upper left corner of the attached screenshot....
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast