Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Bought my Pre back in August. I've dropped it a good 15 times since. No dead pixels, barely any scratches, no cover just good ol nude Pre. Oreo effect was never a problem, all in all I was one of the lucky one to get a solid - well almost - Pre.

This weekend either I or a friend stepped on it - I was at Coachella, what can I say? The phone still powers up but the screen is cracked. I've seen Iphones work even after the screen is completely cracked. The crack doesn't even cover the whole screen yet my Pre is not responsive anymore. It's stuck in airplane mode and I can't navigate anywhere. What a tease, haha.
    I had backup turned off, I honestly don't care I have my contacts elsewhere it'll just be a few more minutes of downloading apps I had before.

I've been paying for insurance since day one, this month I thought about getting rid of it as I've been so careful with my phone. Good thing I didn't, time to use it

Only thing that worries me now is that I've opened Pandora's box. I keep hearing horror stories about people who change their Pre's multiple times. Sigh. I'm probably moving on to the EVO once it comes out either way.
    i didn't get the twist at the end..... ?? basically, asurion, sends you a replacement pre, a refurb, with all new parts. I just got one last month because i cracked my screen and it's pretty mint...

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    yea my referb was a lot nicer than I was expecting...
    I just got my replacement and it's solid. I didn't think they made them like this. All I have to say is FINALLY!
    stick with palm imo.
    My wife put my Pre in her purse and then put the purse in the trunk. The next time I looked at the phone has several cracks covering the screen. Not sure what happened to the phone, must have hit the screen somehow, or it hit something. I am off to my local Sprint service center tomorrow, all I can say is thank god for the insurance.

Has anyone gotten a Pre replaced since Sprint stopped sending out refurbs and started sending out new Pre's? Are the units of better quality? /

BTW this will be my third Pre

Pre #1: Borked USB port
    Pre #2: Cracked Screen

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Got my new Pre from Sprint today, when entering the ##RTN#, it is a refurb, I thought Sprint was sending out new units.

Don't really care as long as it works. Little bit of oreo, but the slider is tight and the keys are "clicky".

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    i just noticed a small hairline crack on my pre - about1/3 inch long on the right margin. i do have the insurance- was the swap pretty painless?
    yeah minus the $100 deductible. if it is functional I would wait until something new comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    yeah minus the $100 deductible. if it is functional I would wait until something new comes out.
    you look familiar - haven't we met somewhere before?

thanks- my screens still a bit funky - oops wrong forum!
    my screen just started cracking under the usb port, creeping onto the screen, EXACTLY like Dieter's video below. Conveniently after my 30 day store warranty expired. I spoke with Palm and it's actually not a bad situation for me-- it's a free replacement if I decide to get one within a year of purchase. They charge an extra 30 bucks if I need a temp phone to cover during the replacement, which seems pretty fair, as the phone is totally working fine. As a "Sprint Premier" member (no clue what that means, but I got a nice card in the mail; something to do with upgrading my plan recently)-- i can get new-customer pricing after 12 months-- so instead of getting my phone replaced or repaired, I'm just going to hope the crack doesn't get terrible, and in 10 months get the HP/Palm Pre Super Killafone Plus, or whatever comes next.

Can anyone point me to a thread about Pres that crack under the usb port? I know there must be one.

alexH - thanks so much for that - i just looked more closely at my pre and it is cracked above the usb and it certainly looks like it migrated to the screen. so are you saying you got yours replaced without paying the deductible?
    Just to be clear, my actual touchscreen area cracked, made the phone unusable as I could not unlock it.

Butters3605, yeah, i don't know if your situation is like mine. if your screen got bumped in the trunk, then you'd have to be creative to get around the "defective product" clause--- basically people like myself and eddieras can go directly to PALM for a repair/replacement rather than sprint. Phones should not develop cracks for no reason-- so we have a year warranty from PALM. I did the live text chat to get this info (palm.com/support, something like that)....
    My phone works fine, so I'll get a replacement only if I need one. Nice to have a year warranty to make that decision in. I cant risk getting a pre replacement that is funky. my phone is great except the crack (I also had to stick paper behind the battery so the phone doesnt shut down... but thats for another thread....).....
    (replacement from Palm is probably a refurb, but refurbs usually look like new anyway)-- but as i said, by the time I'll need a new phone because of this crack, my one year will come along and I'll get another free/cheap phone with another 2 year contract. I love sprint since they give me an employee discount because i work for a sister company
    so you contacted palm - not sprint? i just found this on the sprint support site

Support - Article
    yeah, in my opinion, my issue with the phone has nothing to do with the store i bought it from or Sprint. it was a defective build that caused the crack in the phone.

so i went to palm.com/support

there's a free chat support service. they offered to repair or replace the phone for free anytime in the remaining year of warranty. the mail-in takes 5 days total, so they offer a 30 dollar temporary phone ahead of time if you need it, which seems fair. not sure if sprint will let you temporarily route the number to another phone you already own to save you the money-- but honestly, a 30 dollar fee for a week's rental is worth it to me--
    although again-- all this is only if I decide to mail my Pre in, which I wont do unless the crack drifts across my screen. its about 6mm right now and seems to be holding