1.    #1  
    This is getting me down. Having Skype would pretty much complete my Pre experience... (OK, OK, that AND a nice RDP App)

I went down to a local Verizon store, and was told that the other phones (Blackberry, etc) got licensed (with Skype) first, and the Pre would happen soon...

Anyone got any solid verification of this? ANYONE from verizon reading this?

russ
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Maybe for Skype chat but with no microphone access you're going to be out of luck using it as a VOIP alternative.

If the rumor is true (I don't believe it is since you heard from a store clerk) then it may be a sign that microphone access is on its way in which is very exciting.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I doubt the clerk would know. My bet is that Skype would love to give us support but they can't use the microphone due to the limitations in the SDK. It would be a good question to ask someone at Palm.
    I think the Mobile Hotspot is the replacement of Skype
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  5.    #5  
    I thought access to mic was addressed when Video recording was brought out???
    No MIC API... not gonna happen.

last year skype said they were seeing how webos was doing before commiting resourses... guess that gives you an idea of future product.
    Don't need a mic api for skype, you can use a headset with integrated mic like on the 2nd gen Ipod Touch. No?
    same concept. There is no API from Palm for voice input of any kind.
    I am not a programmer by any means, but how hard would it be for Palm to develop a mic API?
    Last edited by vortmax; 04/21/2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Correcting my Engrish...
    Reading quite a few posts here, I'm seeing a reoccuring theme of folks repeatedly mentioning how nice it would be to have mic access for those types of programs, and so far I've not seen anyone reply with any sort of date or alternative solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Reading quite a few posts here, I'm seeing a reoccuring theme of folks repeatedly mentioning how nice it would be to have mic access for those types of programs, and so far I've not seen anyone reply with any sort of date or alternative solution.
    That's because there is no date or alternative solution to be given. That's like trying to guess when the next WebOS update will hit.

There's been no hint to mic access to us developers either, not even in early builds or documentation. So who knows.
    Last edited by barkerja; 04/21/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Yea, it would also be nice if someone would give me a million dollars, but I don't have a date for when that will happen either

Basically, palm has to enable mic access to developers. Which they haven't done, nor have they indicated when they might do that. It's really unfortunate, because there are so many good things that could be done with apps if they had mic access.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vortmax View Post
    I am not a programmer by any means, but how hard would it be for Palm to develop a mic API?
    Can't be hard-- they have a private one they are using for the video camcorder app.
    no.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Don't need a mic api for skype, you can use a headset with integrated mic like on the 2nd gen Ipod Touch. No?
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    This is getting me down. Having Skype would pretty much complete my Pre experience... (OK, OK, that AND a nice RDP App)

I went down to a local Verizon store, and was told that the other phones (Blackberry, etc) got licensed (with Skype) first, and the Pre would happen soon...

Anyone got any solid verification of this? ANYONE from verizon reading this?

russ
    I am with you. I like my Skype !
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    There is some hint towards mic access. I thought some of the more skilled WebOS hackers around had found ground work for voice controlled dialing in newer versions of the OS. If so that would use the mic of course. Though the Video camera does record sound as well now so it's no guarantee but it seems like more of the palm apps are going to take advantage of the mic so a proper API is probably part of that development. Or I could be completely of point and full of crap. :/
    fyi, the person LEAST likely to know about icensing and future 3rd party development would be the saes wonks at a phone store (vvverizon or any other) they pretend to be smart, but why would they be in the loop on that sort of thing? Those at Verizon that might have info or an educatwd opinion don't hang out in retail stores.

... Just sayin