Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    The Pre+ is the last phone that Palm will ever release. Just think, even if they COULD design, develop, and have built a new device what carrier would be willing to put their ad budget behind a brand with a proven track record of failure and a company that is up for sale?? Right, none.
    Exactly. Unlike all those other companies that have been doing smartphones months and months, Palm's only been doing smartphones since ... well ... since they (Palm) invented smartphones. They've proven how badly they "fail".

Uh-huh.
    I bet it doesn't come out till later summer or early fall so that it does not get swallowed up in iphone/EVO hype. That was a mistake they made last year with the iphone.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't think Sprint is going to launch anything super major before the Evo, frankly. And what manufacturer would want their "exclusive" up for a month...maybe two at the most...and then swept to the side as Sprint does a mega ad-blitz for the Evo?
    Sprint might do exclusivity for few months ( six tops) with Evo. But beyond that I doubt they will continue.

The "handset exclusivity" agreements will die soon. iPhone did it , so everyone else ( Samsung Instink, BB Storm, Palm Pre, Moto Droid) followed. The simple reason why it dies is Google. Google is released their own branded phones like Nexus One on all carriers. Then there are number of Android devices coming this year. This whole exclusivity thing will go away once the market for Android surpasses iPhone. Apple does have a real threat with Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Exactly. Unlike all those other companies that have been doing smartphones months and months, Palm's only been doing smartphones since ... well ... since they (Palm) invented smartphones. They've proven how badly they "fail".

Uh-huh.
    And yet, Palm is on the brink of failure yet again trying to leverage themselves a buyout in lieu of bankruptcy while these Johnny-come-lately upstart companies are raking in the coin in the field that Palm pioneered. Yup, Palm is a picture of success.
    deparsons has a point, IF Palm had the resources to develop, test and market a new COMPETITIVE device, it would have been leaked already. I fear it is what they call "vaporware"
    Last edited by VickMackey; 04/20/2010 at 02:47 PM.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    deparsons has a point, IF Palm had the resources to develop, test and market a new COMPETITIVE device, it would have been leaked already. In fear it is what they call "vaporware"
    Yes, it would have leaked , though I doubt any Palm employee can afford to go to that German bar the Apple engineer lost his 4th gen iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Sprint might do exclusivity for few months ( six tops) with Evo. But beyond that I doubt they will continue.

The "handset exclusivity" agreements will die soon. iPhone did it , so everyone else ( Samsung Instink, BB Storm, Palm Pre, Moto Droid) followed. The simple reason why it dies is Google. Google is released their own branded phones like Nexus One on all carriers. Then there are number of Android devices coming this year. This whole exclusivity thing will go away once the market for Android surpasses iPhone. Apple does have a real threat with Android.
    Does not compute.

1) Evo is 4G WiMax. No one else has such a network in America or is seeking to, so it would make no sense to port it to another carrier.
    2) Even if it's moved to another carrier, it would be called something else and probably have specific design changes much as the HTC Desire and HTC Incredible have almost identical guts, but different bodies.
    3) There are exclusive Android handsets on every carrier. AT&T has the Backflip and will be getting the Dell Aero. T-Mobile has the Samsung Behold and the MyTouch3G. Sprint has the Samsung Moment. Verizon has the Droid. Why is this going to magically change if Android becomes more popular? Every carrier but AT&T ALREADY makes Android their flagship handset (Sprint: Evo, Verizon: Incredible, T-Mobile: Nexus One).
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    And yet, Palm is on the brink of failure yet again trying to leverage themselves a buyout in lieu of bankruptcy while these Johnny-come-lately upstart companies are raking in the coin in the field that Palm pioneered. Yup, Palm is a picture of success.
    We are talking extremes. I never said they were "the picture of success", so I don't know what your referencing when you say "Yup". My response was directed specifically at the "track record" nonsense. Palm does not have a "track record" of "failure". Sorry, you can spin it any way you want, it's simply not the case.

Are they on the "brink of failure"? Well, we really don't really know. I'd say it looks like it, but we don't know.

I was talking to a friend the other day about Citrix, the company that sells XenServer (as well as the "GoTo" products - GoToMyPC, GoToMeeting, etc).

They went six years with no profit, two of those years they had no income.

My point is, in the technology field, with an established company like Palm, it's a bit of stretch to assume that because they are having financial troubles they are finished. Especially when their current financial situation is so much better than it was a little over a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    deparsons has a point, IF Palm had the resources to develop, test and market a new COMPETITIVE device, it would have been leaked already. I fear it is what they call "vaporware"
    But, there are "leaks". Are we confusing leaks with confirmation?
    My point is, in the technology field, with an established company like Palm, it's a bit of stretch to assume that because they are having financial troubles they are finished. Especially when their current financial situation is so much better than it was a little over a year ago.
    Speaking only about this part here, I'll say that the market really is different today than it was back when Palm made some of their other strategic mistakes. Even as recently as a year ago, I thought the market was actually pretty open--the iPhone was in its own class so didn't matter; Windows Mobile was junk; BB was corporate; and Android was the G1 and pretty close to junk.

Since then, though, things have changed dramatically. Android has become so popular so fast that even Apple is responding. Windows Phone 7 looks very interesting and I think will surprise some people with how powerful Microsoft's "three screens and the cloud" concept ends up being. And even RIM is showing some signs of life in the consumer market.

Also, I think it's been pretty much proven that the centralized application ecosystem really does matter, and that developers really do care about a product's market share. Unless you hit a certain critical mass (with webOS still hasn't hit), then you can't be successful. Period.

And so I'm pretty much coming around to the idea that Palm won't last out the year if something major doesn't happen. And that "something major" is either they get bought and adequately supported, or they release a really killer device soon. And I think now is the right time, because if there's one thing about all the doom and gloom, it's that everyone's pretty much conceded that webOS is the best mobile OS available and that if it were on a killer piece of hardware Palm could be successful.

However, all of this buzz (which really does have a silver lining) will die down at some point, and the summer will come and go with the Evo, the Droid Incredible, the iPhone 4G, etc., etc., and if it's only then that Palm releases the next-gen device, I think they're in the same place they were in June of last year.

No, crazy as it sounds, I really do think either Palm has to be acquired, they have to release the new device now, or we'll be even more doomish and gloomish come August or so.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    But, there are "leaks". Are we confusing leaks with confirmation?
    Exactly. And in fact, there are more leaks than there were prior to CES 2009. No, it's not Apple's kind of leak, and frankly I don't think they've been at all on purpose. If I were Palm (as I've made perfectly clear with this insane prediction of mine), I'd spring the new device on the market at a Tuesday press conference sometime in May. And I'd make it available the next day. And, finally, if I were Sprint, I'd see no reason not to go along with it--it's no skin off their teeth.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    theyre kind off in a bad situation with the evo releasing soon. do you try to release a new palm phone before the evo comes out to get those sales? i think thats the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Speaking only about this part here, I'll say that the market really is different today than it was back when Palm made some of their other strategic mistakes. ...
    There's not much here I disagree with you on, except the following (and even these I'm not 100% sure about):

• That Palm must be acquired. I agree they need a cash infusion, but I'm not sure acquisition is the only method avaiable to them.
    • That they can't make it past the end of the year. I still believe, depending on sales, they have cash on hand to make it further.

That said, if they don't relase a new device before the end of the year, their sales are definitely going to be hurt. On the other hand, they are just now hitting Asia, so who knows what will happen there.

To the broader topics at hand though - I still believe there is plenty of room in the marketplace for WebOS, and even for the Pre/Pixi linup (in the near future).

More focused though, I don't believe that the Evo would hurt Palm sales with Sprint (if Palm produces a next gen device, and that next gen device is 4g on Sprint).

Evo will bite severely into the existing Android market. It will bite somewhat into the existing WebOS market.

At the same time, there will be plenty of newcomers to both that will be ready to ditch their PalmOS devices (yes, there are still LOTS of those on Sprint), BBs, and even some dumbphone users.

Those users will be willing to look at both the Evo and WebOS. If the WebOS next gen device is good, they'll buy.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Does not compute.

1) Evo is 4G WiMax. No one else has such a network in America or is seeking to, so it would make no sense to port it to another carrier.
    2) Even if it's moved to another carrier, it would be called something else and probably have specific design changes much as the HTC Desire and HTC Incredible have almost identical guts, but different bodies.
    3) There are exclusive Android handsets on every carrier. AT&T has the Backflip and will be getting the Dell Aero. T-Mobile has the Samsung Behold and the MyTouch3G. Sprint has the Samsung Moment. Verizon has the Droid. Why is this going to magically change if Android becomes more popular? Every carrier but AT&T ALREADY makes Android their flagship handset (Sprint: Evo, Verizon: Incredible, T-Mobile: Nexus One).
    Sure no one can user Evo 4G. But the point being , Android is everywhere with minor tweaks. Verizon Droid Eris is Sprint Hero , which if stretched will become Verizon Incredible .... so on . While the exclusivity exists on few r Android phones , there is not much of a difference between the each models. Sure there is Moto Blur and Sense .. but core features are the same. The only differences between all these 'exclusive' android phone are in the size, physical keyboard and processor. Overall the consumer will be able to pick the version of android phone they like on their carrier of choice. This scenario is very different to iPhone, where the mobile customer leave existing carrier and moved to ATT. To cut it short , exclusivity will not get new customers ( sans Evo 3G , which is a different beast).
    The biggest problem is the next leap in mobile CPU technology won't happen until the end of the year. If Palm releases anything before then, it will just be pretty par for the course, nothing groundbreaking.

I'd almost rather see them the very first device to use Omap4, which would be a good leap over current phones.

However, they can't really afford to wait that long either. And they can't afford to do two phone launches this year.

They are in a pickle.

One thing is for sure - They will not announce a new phone earlier than a month in advance.
    Last edited by Beanis; 04/20/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    I think what's more important then the MHz of the CPU is how the phone preforms. It might not need more then 1GHz. 4G, a larger screen and keyboard might be all that it takes to win people over if the phone is snappy enough.

I'm guessing if they are writing a new version of WebOS for this rumored phone it will probably include active screen/3D icons and voice control to make it more competitive with the current leaders in this market.
    I don't honestly see the point. It's like going from a 2.8Ghz Intel CPU to a 3.4Ghz but you can oc the 2.8 to 3.2 so why bother buying the 3.4? Anyone who jumps on the bandwagon to adopt brand new technology is just get shafted $$$ wise. These cell phone companies know this and prey off of people's impulsiveness for must have newest technology and paying a premium for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    One thing is for sure - They will not announce a new phone earlier than a month in advance.
    Agreed. I'd say, they'll announce one day (in May!) and release the next. That alone would generate significant buzz. And they don't have the money to advertise extensively, and probably won't get a carrier to do it for them, so really that's a moot point.

Unless, of course, the next-gen Palm device is that good...
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i hope they do better than 1ghz
    More clock cycles isn't always the best thing...stop thinking in series and start thinking in parallels. I want dual core 1GHz like the OMAP 4 or Tegra 2.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Not sure if you guys saw this, but I expect Sprint's 4G to take off. The next Palm phone better support wimax if it is on Sprint.

The 4G network behind Sprint's EVO - Video - Technology
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast