Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. #21  
    I've read that the processor in the samsung galaxy is better than snapdragon... also dual core snapdragon is supposed to be coming this year, no reason palm shouldn't be first.
  2. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    As someone posted earlier, you're not going to see greater than 1ghz processors in cell phones until late 2010 or this time next year. All that is available right now is 1ghz so you can't expect Palm to go force someone to give them a 2ghz chip when they aren't even developed as of yet. TI's OMAP 4 is supposed to be dual 1ghz chips but again, you won't see that in device until next year. 1ghz and 512mb or more of ram along with Palm optimizing the code will be more than enough.
    OMAP 4 has a chance of being in a device before the end of the year. If TI and Palm have a strong partnership, TI can supply test samples to get the majority of testing and bug fixes out of the way before the official launch by TI (second half 2010). If TI kept to its promise in the below linked press release, Palm at least has the software development packages. I'm of course being very optimistic.

    Availability

    TI's OMAP 4 platform and development tools are expected to sample in the second half of 2009, with production expected by the second half of 2010. These products are intended for high-volume wireless OEMs and ODMs and are not available through distributors.
    OMAP 4 platform  | Texas Instruments
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  3. #23  
    It's my prediction (and I'm sticking by it, at least until June 1) that the next-gen Palm device will ship in May with a very brief "exclusive" on Sprint. It'll be on other carriers by the end of August. Palm will maintain a low-mid-high tier of products: Pixi+/Pre+/TBDTBDTBD.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    OMAP 4 has a chance of being in a device before the end of the year. If TI and Palm have a strong partnership, TI can supply test samples to get the majority of testing and bug fixes out of the way before the official launch by TI (second half 2010). If TI kept to its promise in the below linked press release, Palm at least has the software development packages. I'm of course being very optimistic.



    OMAP 4 platform *|*Texas Instruments
    Makes you wonder even more about that artist rendering on the Texas Instruments website that was basically a Pre with a front facing camera....
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's my prediction (and I'm sticking by it, at least until June 1) that the next-gen Palm device will ship in May with a very brief "exclusive" on Sprint. It'll be on other carriers by the end of August. Palm will maintain a low-mid-high tier of products: Pixi+/Pre+/TBDTBDTBD.
    Not saying it's impossible, but don't you think the fact that the Evo has shown up in Sprint's inventory systems, but this hasn't kinda shoots all sorts of holes in that? Not to mention Sprint tends to announce smartphones far ahead of launch. The Hero was confirmed 45 days before launch after at least a couple of weeks of leaks and showing up in inventory. The Nexus One is already on Sprint's developer site.
  6. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

    Really when it coems down to it, it's a second or 2 difference in speed. Didn't think those few added up seconds really makes or breaks a deal with a cell lol
    It's just that now our "phones" can only run apps and such, imagine if they put photoshop cs5 on a phone? It will def need a 2ghz processor to load up in time for dinner.

    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    It's my prediction (and I'm sticking by it, at least until June 1) that the next-gen Palm device will ship in May with a very brief "exclusive" on Sprint. It'll be on other carriers by the end of August. Palm will maintain a low-mid-high tier of products: Pixi+/Pre+/TBDTBDTBD.
    This is possible, or maybe someone will find a c40 at burger king?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not saying it's impossible, but don't you think the fact that the Evo has shown up in Sprint's inventory systems, but this hasn't kinda shoots all sorts of holes in that? Not to mention Sprint tends to announce smartphones far ahead of launch. The Hero was confirmed 45 days before launch after at least a couple of weeks of leaks and showing up in inventory. The Nexus One is already on Sprint's developer site.
    Sure. What you say makes perfect sense. But as I said, I'm sticking with my prediction.

    A little more seriously, yes, you really do make sense here. However, I also think that Palm is in such a predicament and needs something desperately to help them stand out. If they wait until after the Evo, iPhone 4G, Droid Incredible, etc. are released, then I think things become really, really, really difficult for them. And I could see Sprint going along with this. With all of the recent negative buzz around Palm, which includes a lot of really positive press about webOS itself, a sudden announcement like this could make some serious waves.

    And of course, this is a bit of projection on my part. It's what I think needs to happen for Palm to have a chance to survive on their own. And they could get purchased in the meantime, which could (but wouldn't have to) alter their plans significantly.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #28  
    this has got to be the most beautiful handheld device ever built ... Will upgrade to it as soon as it comes ....
  9. #29  
    I don't think Sprint is going to launch anything super major before the Evo, frankly. And what manufacturer would want their "exclusive" up for a month...maybe two at the most...and then swept to the side as Sprint does a mega ad-blitz for the Evo?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Sure. What you say makes perfect sense. But as I said, I'm sticking with my prediction.

    A little more seriously, yes, you really do make sense here. However, I also think that Palm is in such a predicament and needs something desperately to help them stand out. If they wait until after the Evo, iPhone 4G, Droid Incredible, etc. are released, then I think things become really, really, really difficult for them. And I could see Sprint going along with this. With all of the recent negative buzz around Palm, which includes a lot of really positive press about webOS itself, a sudden announcement like this could make some serious waves.

    And of course, this is a bit of projection on my part. It's what I think needs to happen for Palm to have a chance to survive on their own. And they could get purchased in the meantime, which could (but wouldn't have to) alter their plans significantly.
    As it stands, Palm doesn't iterate that quickly. So a device launching in June on Sprint and then in August on other carriers doesn't play. You're forgetting a couple of things.

    Sprint's 4G network is ready, so launching a new Palm 4G device on Sprint in Aug or Oct makes sense.

    It doesn't make sense for Palm to launch another 3G device on Verizon and ATT when both of them are moving to LTE later this year and next year. The Pre Plus reached V in Jan and ATT in May. The Pre Plus can survive until Jan 2011 on V and May 2011 on ATT.

    At the one year point of the Pre+ on V and ATT it would make sense to release a 4G device b/c the 4G networks will be ready.

    Palm's fortunes aren't going to be made or broken based on releasing new devices this year. A new device on Sprint will allow them to continue to play in the 'game' but a new device on Sprint doesn't save or destroy Palm.

    Palm will likely be bought and how much the parent company decides to devote to marketing could potentially make or break Palm. But new devices will help but a 200 million dollar marketing budget and 20 million research dev budget helps even more.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  11. #31  
    The c40 Mockup keyboard looks a lot like a BB keyboard...which would be awesome.
  12. #32  
    if palm has something up their sleeve they need to reveal asap
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    ... You're forgetting a couple of things.

    Sprint's 4G network is ready, ....
    ... in 34 cities. ... 15 of which are in Texas. ... The other 19 spread across only 10 other states. ... and only 14 more cities slated for this year. ... None of which are where I live. I don't expect 4G near me for at least another year.

    http://shop.sprint.com/en/stores/pop...ge_popup.shtml

    and:

    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    It doesn't make sense for Palm to launch another 3G device on Verizon and ATT when both of them are moving to LTE later this year and next year.
    Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam told those attending or listening in to a conference call that Big Red would have started to roll out its 4G LTE services in 20-30 markets by the second half of next year. Nationwide build-out would be targeted for completion by late 2013 to early 2014.
    Last edited by camiller; 04/20/2010 at 01:29 PM.
  14. #34  
    The best thing about my prediction is that it'll be proven right or wrong very quickly. On June 1, you all can come back and make fun of me (which you should!) if nothing's released.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by churro View Post
    if palm has something up their sleeve they need to reveal asap
    QFT

    This is no time for Palm to play it cute and release tantalizing tidbits through surreptitious "leaks." They need brass bands, fireworks, and big name endorsements in high profile publications and television.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Palm's fortunes aren't going to be made or broken based on releasing new devices this year. A new device on Sprint will allow them to continue to play in the 'game' but a new device on Sprint doesn't save or destroy Palm.

    Palm will likely be bought and how much the parent company decides to devote to marketing could potentially make or break Palm. But new devices will help but a 200 million dollar marketing budget and 20 million research dev budget helps even more.
    I'm curious as to how you see them staying solvent with no new devices until 2011.
  17. #37  
    The Pre+ is the last phone that Palm will ever release. Just think, even if they COULD design, develop, and have built a new device what carrier would be willing to put their ad budget behind a brand with a proven track record of failure and a company that is up for sale?? Right, none.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    The Pre+ is the last phone that Palm will ever release. Just think, even if they COULD design, develop, and have built a new device what carrier would be willing to put their ad budget behind a brand with a proven track record of failure and a company that is up for sale?? Right, none.
    All three would.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm curious as to how you see them staying solvent with no new devices until 2011.
    If someone buys Palm they'll be solvent b/c of the buyer. If someone doesn't buy Palm, they won't be solvent. But then again, we already knew that Palm is on track to run out of money in 2011. Palm needs an infusion of cash and a buyer gives them that. Selling new devices to carriers would provide some infusion but not the amount they need.

    So as a said before, a new buy and the cash the buyer provides is of greater need and the release of new devices are secondary in nature.

    And as I stated above, a 4G device on Sprint this make total sense. Another 3G device on ATT and V doesn't make fiscal sense.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    The Pre+ is the last phone that Palm will ever release. Just think, even if they COULD design, develop, and have built a new device what carrier would be willing to put their ad budget behind a brand with a proven track record of failure and a company that is up for sale?? Right, none.
    If Palm isn't bought, maybe. Your scenario only accounts for a world in which Palm isn't bought. Can't there be a world where Palm is bought? Tell me what happens if Palm is bought. Do they develop the mythical C40? Does the new company provide them with a larger advertising budget?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions