Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Palm Pre Plus for about 2 Weeks now, and it takes about 3 minutes to cut on. How can I fix this?
    All versions of the pre have a slow boot time the best fixes are installing the 800mhz oc kernel which cuts boot time some or not turning it off at all
  3. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Why do you have to restart your Pre so much anyway?
  4. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    I have not even restarted mine once yet.
    I would think one really would not need to do a restart too often.
    I usually only have to do the restarts once a day. It helps clear out any junk going on in the background...most carriers recommend all cell phone users do this with any cell phone. Most people just don't.
    I've gotten used to the slow start up. I do remember thinkin' "gees louise" when I was first getting it activated at Sprint on launch day, but it doesn't bother me much now, as I usually do something else for a few minutes while it starts up.
    I have the Pre reboot everyday at 1:45 and I have JsTop doing background garbage collecting.

However, remember that the Pre does have random reboots. I get them a few times a week. Rather annoying.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    I stick with my opinion that Preware or some patches are the source of the random reboots. Cause since 2 weeks now I had NO random reboot, and since 2 weeks I didn't used Preware, its on the phone, but i didn't started it.
    Before I had reboots a few times per week. (daily usage of Preware)

That doesn't means that Preware has a bug! I only say that Preware is the source for that. It seems that there are some bugs in webOS that causes this reboots.
    amen!

I experienced the same reboot issue when running preware. Uninstalled it few weeks ago and no reboot at all. Installing via QI doesn't cause the reboot issue for me.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    For whatever it's worth, my Pre used to reboot in only about 1 minute
    50 seconds. After 1.3.x it's up to 3+ minutes. Pretty sure it has
    something to do with the encryption scheme that puts all the apps
    in /media/cryptofs

It is really pretty pitiful now, even by smart phone standards.

ian
    Surely there's no need to restart a phone, I never restart mine and never experience slowdowns or problems, but then again I've never installed any patches or even enabled dev mode so that may be the reason.
    mine only random reboots if i leave dev mode one, when i switch it off no more reboots
    there is a patch that reboots on a schedule. You can set it to reset the phone ewhilw you are asleep.
    most computers benefit from daily restarts
    Well - I ahd several reboots before I even knew about Preware...
    Quote Originally Posted by END View Post
    I have not even restarted mine once yet.
    I would think one really would not need to do a restart too often.
    One would be incorrect in thinking such a thing. Just like a Windows PC, I've found that this OS needs to be rebooted every so often or some things don't work quite right. I usually reboot it just before I place it on the touchstone as I'm heading off to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by UKer View Post
    Surely there's no need to restart a phone, I never restart mine and never experience slowdowns or problems, but then again I've never installed any patches or even enabled dev mode so that may be the reason.
    My Pre is bone stock.
    title fail

it's misleading and should have a question mark.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    title fail

it's misleading and should have a question mark.
    Agreed. The title should be something along the lines of "Is it possible to improve boot time on a Pre Plus" or " How the heck can I get this thing to start up faster!!11!11!!!!".
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    One would be incorrect in thinking such a thing. Just like a Windows PC, I've found that this OS needs to be rebooted every so often or some things don't work quite right. I usually reboot it just before I place it on the touchstone as I'm heading off to bed.
    Wow, I guess none of you have ever worked in an IT department where you need uptime of 99.9% plus. Many of the website servers, credit card transaction servers, etc. that you see have not been rebooted (nor need to be) for months or even years and only then when needed (for upgrades, patches, etc.).

Obviously a little phone like the Pre is not on the same scale as a webserver, but it is running the same OS!!

Windows is a different story from Linux, because of the stupid registry it has to be rebooted anytime a change to the registry occurs. Linux is different, it does not have to be restarted when applications are installed or removed, about the only time it really needs to be rebooted is when you apply patches to the kernel. (BTW, almost all the patches that you apply via Preware and WOSQI do NOT require a reboot -- yes they require a luna restart, but that is NOT a reboot, that is just restarting one process running on your phone).

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with restarting your phone once a day, the only thing it takes is a little time -- and even if your phone takes 5 minutes to reboot you are still getting an uptime of 99.653% .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow, I guess none of you have ever worked in an IT department where you need uptime of 99.9% plus. Many of the website servers, credit card transaction servers, etc. that you see have not been rebooted (nor need to be) for months or even years and only then when needed (for upgrades, patches, etc.).

Obviously a little phone like the Pre is not on the same scale as a webserver, but it is running the same OS!!

Windows is a different story from Linux, because of the stupid registry it has to be rebooted anytime a change to the registry occurs. Linux is different, it does not have to be restarted when applications are installed or removed, about the only time it really needs to be rebooted is when you apply patches to the kernel. (BTW, almost all the patches that you apply via Preware and WOSQI do NOT require a reboot -- yes they require a luna restart, but that is NOT a reboot, that is just restarting one process running on your phone).

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with restarting your phone once a day, the only thing it takes is a little time -- and even if your phone takes 5 minutes to reboot you are still getting an uptime of 99.653% .
    And there is a patch available that will reboot it for you on a schedule, perhaps while you are asleep anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast