Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A Patch not that i know of BUT there is a program that you can get that will allow you to set a time. The program is called Preset Reset
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Preset Reset app in Preware, lets you choose a time to reset, and which days of the week you want it to restart. It also lets you choose apps to launch on restart, so I wake up every morning with my email and calendar waiting for me.

I haven't noticed that the phone needs to be restarted more than about once a week (much, much better than my blackberry, which needed to be restarted multiple times daily), but it makes me feel better that my phone is freshly rebooted every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow, I guess none of you have ever worked in an IT department where you need uptime of 99.9% plus. Many of the website servers, credit card transaction servers, etc. that you see have not been rebooted (nor need to be) for months or even years and only then when needed (for upgrades, patches, etc.). ...
    Assume much do we? What are you going on about anyway? I mention that in my experience the phone needs to be rebooted on a semi regular basis and likened it to the way Windows needed to be rebooted once in a while and you go off on a "You're stupid because I'm an IT guy and I know what I'm talking about." tangent that has absolutely nothing to do what anything I posted. Where did I say ANYTHING about enterprise server level uptime requirements or any of that other malarkey that you were waxing so lyrical about. Get over yourself please.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    most computers benefit from daily restarts
    Really?

I'm connected to a half dozen Unix hosts that have been up now for over 3 years. There is no clearing of memory needed as the Kernel manages the memory for the applications that run and when they die they free up their memory. The Kernel manages and addresses zombied processes and child processes that might errantly spawn from parent procs. FYI they are running Solaris 10. We also use apps that don't consume additional memory simply by running.

Other than poorly managed systems with memory leaks in the apps there is no benefit to a daily reboot.

Enterprise level or not a *nix kernel only needs to be rebooted if there is, of course, a kernel change or the apps running within the kernel are horribly buggy. Actually any O/S should run indefinitely and not require a reboot.
    Last edited by Odd-Ball; 04/20/2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Well, try frequent flights as part of your job & you'll know how annoying these slow boot ups are. Other people are getting emails and chatting long before I'm done with the boot up. Sometimes I'm deplaned before the boot up is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Well, try frequent flights as part of your job & you'll know how annoying these slow boot ups are. Other people are getting emails and chatting long before I'm done with the boot up. Sometimes I'm deplaned before the boot up is done.
    Why not just reboot when you're not gonna use the phone for a few minutes like before you jump in the shower. When you fly you can put the phone in Airplane Mode, that's what it's for.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    This thread has jumped the shark.

It's clear nobody knows how to make the Pre reboot faster.

ian
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    When you fly you can put the phone in Airplane Mode, that's what it's for.
    No, technically that violates FAA regulations. It's supposed to be off (though I think many people leave them in airplane mode).
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    No, technically that violates FAA regulations. It's supposed to be off (though I think many people leave them in airplane mode).
    As long as the device is not transmitting a signal its not in violation. I had that discussion with the pilot before we took off for ATL 2 weeks ago. In airplane mode the transceiver isn't receiving or transmitting so its in compliance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12