1.    #1  
    Been reading that a lot of people have this installed on there phones, and i was just wondering what does it exactly do? Also should i have the GC set to auto?
    It clears up all the crap gunking up the memory hence the "garbage collect" and I keep it on auto since it helps the pre run smoother since theres more memory available
    Auto makes my Pre lag....damn...alot of things make my Pre lag even with the 800Mhz..I use to wonder how to close apps with Jstop, i gave up when i couldnt figure it out. Because when i click and app, everything disappears, leaving the app i click and then i cant go back to the whole list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Auto makes my Pre lag....damn...alot of things make my Pre lag even with the 800Mhz..I use to wonder how to close apps with Jstop, i gave up when i couldnt figure it out. Because when i click and app, everything disappears, leaving the app i click and then i cant go back to the whole list.
    Try doctoring... Seriously

My pre seemed super sluggish even though I didn't do many modifications to it... Yesterday I doctored and re-installed the 720mhz patch and it finally runs like a dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I don't use it to kill apps. But I think if you wanted to, you "swipe to delete" and that'll kill that app.

Additionally to go back once you've tapped a specific app, just go to the menu and choose "Unfilter List"
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Is there a quick tutorial somewhere on Jstop? I have it installed but would like to know more and make sure I get the most out of it. Many thanks,
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by toddfoutz View Post
    Is there a quick tutorial somewhere on Jstop? I have it installed but would like to know more and make sure I get the most out of it. Many thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfoutz View Post
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by flash8o View Post
    Been reading that a lot of people have this installed on there phones, and i was just wondering what does it exactly do? Also should i have the GC set to auto?
    OK, I'll take a rough shot at it...

top is a Linux/Unix command that provides a dynamic real-time view of a running Linux/Unix system. Here is the description from the command's man page:

The top program provides a dynamic real-time view of a running system. It can display system summary information as well as a list of tasks currently being managed by the Linux kernel. The types of system summary information shown and the types, order and size of information displayed for tasks are all user configurable and that configuration can be made persistent across restarts.

The program provides a limited interactive interface for process manipulation as well as a much more extensive interface for personal configuration -- encompassing every aspect of its operation. And while top is referred to throughout this document, you are free to name the program anything you wish. That new name, possibly an alias, will then be reflected on top's display and used when reading and writing a configuration file.
    Note that the "top" command is for the entire Linux system, it will provide details on ALL the processes running on a Linux machine. [Side note: you can run "top" on your Pre from within the Terminal apps command line. If you do this you will see that the LunaSysMgr, java, and BroswerServer are by far and away the biggest hitters on your Pre in terms of memory and CPU usage.]

Your Pre is a Linux system, it has literally hundreds of processes running to keep the phone running. One of those processes is a Java virtual machine. All the apps that you run on your phone through the UI run within that Java vm (Phone, Contacts, Mail, web browser, etc.). It is my understanding that JStop (for JavaScript top) shows you information on those threads running within the Java vm. The main pieces of information you see is Nodes and Handles associated with those this is an indication of the amount of memory those threads are using.

I hope someone can fill in the information on the exact definition of handles and nodes as I am a little in the dark on these. Anyone caring to correct anything that I have said, please, by all means help out!!

EDIT: Here is the wiki from webOS Internals: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:JsTop

Here is a definition of nodes and handles from there:

Nodes refers to the number of DOM nodes an application has, roughly equal to it's memory usage on the phone.

Open Service Handles are the number of services the application is waiting on to return. This number can be equated to a rough estimate of CPU usage (though they often total > 100%).
    Last edited by Mikey47; 04/20/2010 at 12:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    JStop is a great app, but the garbage collection feature on it is the cause of one of the biggest urban legends around these parts. People seem to think it will "fix" the too many cards error, but I disagree. (I've done lots of testing with and without it, and it makes absolutely no difference) WebOS is not forgetting to GC, so running this is completely unnecessary and frankly a waste of CPU.
    I had too many card the other day. Closed a bunch of apps w JStop and then did GC. No change. Is webOS not doing GC on it's own?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I had too many card the other day. Closed a bunch of apps w JStop and then did GC. No change. Is webOS not doing GC on it's own?
    This is kinda my point, manually running GC doesn't "fix" anything. I think memory leaks are probably still the biggest cause of the TMC error, though it's hard to say for certain. Though if that's true, it's more reason to not run auto GC. Leaked memory by definition can't be collected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    One of those processes is a Java virtual machine. All the apps that you run on your phone through the UI run within that Java vm (Phone, Contacts, Mail, web browser, etc.). It is my understanding that JStop (for JavaScript top) shows you information on those threads running within the Java vm.
    Thanks for the effort ... I was wondering about this myself. But I'm confused here ... I thought JSTop was about Javascript, not Java. I'm far from an expert, but I'm pretty sure those are two distinctly different languages/options in webOS?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Thanks for the effort ... I was wondering about this myself. But I'm confused here ... I thought JSTop was about Javascript, not Java. I'm far from an expert, but I'm pretty sure those are two distinctly different languages/options in webOS?
    Correct, JSTop is showing you apps running inside the Luna framework. (Javascript/HTML/CSS apps) Similarly, the GC feature is for collecting the Javascript heap, not the Java heap. There IS Java also running on the Pre, but JStop is not inspecting or showing you anything that's going on with Java.
    @ Jason Black
    You can click on JSTop on the top left corner
    And select Unfilter List

Done.. all the apps come back
    After turning the Pre on what apps should I kill? Cuz stuff gets crazy if I kill all except system ui.

The launcher wouldn't work properly when I killed it, then I was able to use it as a card. I was able to minimize it like any other app.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Reading this thread, I decided to try Jstop. Battery discharge rate increased. In fact, the battery charge fell below 10% -- something that has never happened since I keep my Pre charging whenever I can.

Yesterday, after charging all night, my Pre battery was at 95%. It would not charge beyond 95%.

During a 45 minute drive, while the Pre was charging, charge dropped to 65%. It actually dropped while charging and not being otherwise used.

I removed the app to keep the Pre from fully discharging. Battery again charges to 100%.
    Jstop's automatic GC slows down my device big time!
    I dont use jstop... only the 800mhz kernel mod plus patches,themes,and apps. Phone works perfectly.
    Hi guys,
    I'm the developer of JSTop, so I guess I should answer some questions.
    JSTop measures the number of open service handles (calls to background services) and nodes (number of Javascript DOM nodes the application uses).
    It calls a Luna command that returns this information, and it displays it. The autogc was made because someone requested it, and that's about it. I personally don't use it myself because I never hit the "Too Many Cards" error on my pre plus. If you run autogc, I would recommend turning notifications off unless you REALLY want to know when it happens, because it turns the screen on. The autogc, as with the manual one, just calls the Luna GC command to force a full stop-the-world garbage collect. Luna runs a more incremental garbage collector when apps are running, and the stop-the-world variety when the screen turns back on from "sleep".

Feel free to PM me with any other questions!