1.    #1  
    Just moved from an iPhone 3Gs and before that a 3G to the Pre Plus on Verizon. Wanted to ask the forum if they have this issue. When using the browser, I've noticed that there is a slight lag when scrolling much like the old iPhone 3G did but not the 3Gs. I heard the Pre Plus and 3Gs have the same processor and ram. Does anybody know of a fix that could make this go away. Thanks
    Welcome to WebOS! Glad to have you. Part of the problem with this lag is that Palm has not yet implemented GPU acceleration for menu animations and scrolling etc. Once that is done, it should be a lot faster. Having said that, the 800MHz overclocking kernel patch does improve this lag considerably for me. If you are new to WebOS, I suggest you first get your fingers dirty with WebOS quick install and Preware and really get an understanding of homebrew apps/patches/tweaks before overclocking.
    Be sure to check this thread out http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html and welcome to the webos family
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    The phone is clocked to this speed for a reason. Many processors were unstable at 800Mhz. It's hot enough at 500Mhz. Clock it to 600, run it that way for a while, no lockups? Check 700, then 750, 800. Overheat your CPU and you're toast. It isn't like you can pop the cover and replace it with a shiny new Intel or AMD CPU. Run the mobile hotspot on the touchstone and your phone is toast at that speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    The phone is clocked to this speed for a reason. Many processors were unstable at 800Mhz. It's hot enough at 500Mhz. Clock it to 600, run it that way for a while, no lockups? Check 700, then 750, 800. Overheat your CPU and you're toast. It isn't like you can pop the cover and replace it with a shiny new Intel or AMD CPU. Run the mobile hotspot on the touchstone and your phone is toast at that speed.
    Not sure I agree with that
    Welcome to WebOS :-)

I agree with these other posters...the Homebrew community is second to none on the Pre. Get yourself familiar with Quick Install and Preware, along with the various patches...and these forums are a goldmine for knowledge...they have been for me since I signed up a few months ago.
  7.    #7  
    Thank you guys for the feedback. I'm looking forward to learning more.
    I would definitely recommend the 800MHZ overclock It's been tested to be very safe. There is also a patch that will warn you if your device gets too hot, as an added safety feature. This will definitely clear up the browser scroll lag.

The first thing you should do is research Preware and WebOS Quick Install. These are two must-have tools for your new Pre. Don't be afraid to post any questions you may have.

Here are some good threads to read:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-themes.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I would definitely recommend the 800MHZ overclock It's been tested to be very safe.
    It doesn't matter how tested it is. If you overclock your device, you waive your warranty for anything that can reasonably be due to the device running hotter than intended for longer than designed... which on a device this small is just about everything.

Palm or Verizon *might* be nice and honor your warranty, but if they aren't you won't have much of a recourse.

If you're coming from iPhone land -- treat overclocking the same way you treat jailbreaking. Do it if you want, by all means, and you are likely to be perfectly fine. But if you mess up and it breaks, your best bet to get a replacement is probably eBay, not the warrant department.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath