Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    Well this sucks...looks like Palm can't get any love at Radio Shack...they seem to be phasing out the original P&P models, but replacing them with Blackberry and something else. I wish Palm would just release the Plus models on Sprint already...maybe that would help stop some of the bleeding.

    Sprint Confirms Radio Shack Phasing Out Palm Pre, Pixi Sales (Updated) - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
  2. #2  
    whos fault is it but Palms they should be releasing new hardware by june on sprint and if they aren't they will lose the current ones they have to the Evo.
  3. #3  
    This sucks.

    http://m.foxbusiness.com/#r_http%3A//m.foxbusiness.com/quickPage.html%3Fpage%3D19453%26content%3D37189223
  4. #4  
    Here is what I know, I purchased a PRE from Radio Shack 3 weeks ago.
    A couple of days later they said that they ran out of stock and couldn't get any more Palm Pre's.
    I was told today the Sprint released that there will be the Palm Pre 2 coming out in 2 -3 weeks.
    We will have to wait and see if the guy at R.S. knows his stuff.


    Well I should have read the link above.
  5. #5  
    I work right next to a radioshack and I asked if they had any palm pre he said they ran out since last week and they are getting new palm devices in june.
  6. #6  
    I would think we would have some leaks at least a month or two prior to a launch. At least on engadget or the like.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    I would think we would have some leaks at least a month or two prior to a launch. At least on engadget or the like.
    There were zero leaks of webOS and the Pre prior to CES 2009, and so I think Palm has proven their ability to keep things secret. I'm going to hereby go on official record and predict that we'll have a new Palm device on Sprint in May. Palm will release earlier than expected for the buzz--which would be as huge as anything else we've been hearing lately--and to beat the iPhone 4.0 to market.

    Said device will be a larger version of the Pre with an altered slider design (for stability), say a 3.7" screen and slightly larger/improved keyboard, 4G (Wimax), a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 512MB RAM, 16GB storage, compass, autofocus rear-facing camera, and a front-facing camera for videoconferencing. It will support the Touchstone, and there will be new Touchstone accessories that will also support previous gen devices. The Pre+/Pixi+ will become the low-end and mid-level devices for carriers that want to carry the entire Palm line, and the new device will be a short-term exclusive for Sprint primarily because only Sprint has an active 4G network. LTE versions will ship for Verizon and AT&T by the end of the year or sooner (say, by the end of summer).

    Please do come back at the end of May and make fun of me if there's no new device, and I'll add this caveat: it assumes that Palm isn't purchased in the meantime. And even _that_ wouldn't necessarily stop a launch, since acquisitions do take time to complete.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    I work right next to a radioshack and I asked if they had any palm pre he said they ran out since last week and they are getting new palm devices in june.
    Sounds very ATT launchy to me.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There were zero leaks of webOS and the Pre prior to CES 2009, and so I think Palm has proven their ability to keep things secret. I'm going to hereby go on official record and predict that we'll have a new Palm device on Sprint in May. Palm will release earlier than expected for the buzz--which would be as huge as anything else we've been hearing lately--and to beat the iPhone 4.0 to market.

    Said device will be a larger version of the Pre with an altered slider design (for stability), say a 3.7" screen and slightly larger/improved keyboard, 4G (Wimax), a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 512MB RAM, 16GB storage, compass, autofocus rear-facing camera, and a front-facing camera for videoconferencing. It will support the Touchstone, and there will be new Touchstone accessories that will also support previous gen devices. The Pre+/Pixi+ will become the low-end and mid-level devices for carriers that want to carry the entire Palm line, and the new device will be a short-term exclusive for Sprint primarily because only Sprint has an active 4G network. LTE versions will ship for Verizon and AT&T by the end of the year or sooner (say, by the end of summer).

    Please do come back at the end of May and make fun of me if there's no new device, and I'll add this caveat: it assumes that Palm isn't purchased in the meantime. And even _that_ wouldn't necessarily stop a launch, since acquisitions do take time to complete.
    Beating both the iPhone and EVO to market would be ideal. I just hope palm makes sure the new device is finished and polished with no hardware issues, as well as, a revamped marketing campaign.

    I believe Sprint is marketing the EVO as the nation's first 4G phone. I would think if Palm was coming out with a 4G phone sooner than the EVO, then Sprint would've marketed the palm device as their premier 4G device.

    I think the EVO will come out prior to any other device and it will set the new standard for smartphones. Other companies like palm and apple will have to play catch up to meet the specs/features and surpass it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    I believe Sprint is marketing the EVO as the nation's first 4G phone. I would think if Palm was coming out with a 4G phone sooner than the EVO, then Sprint would've marketed the palm device as their premier 4G device.
    You're right, they are. Okay, so, strike the 4G bit from my prediction. Also, make the Sprint "exclusive" definitely much shorter, say it ends after 60 days. We'll see the new device on AT&T & Verizon by the end of July.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. #11  
    Im 90% sure there will be NO Palm device with 4G by May...and certainly not by summer, unless Palm has been completely keeping it under wraps...while at the sametime working with AT&T to get Pluses shipped out.

    With that said, it is going to be hard for Palm to get a phone that will be even spec wise( Minus 4G) compared to the EVO, which will pretty much be Sprint's flagship phone.

    Dont get me wrong, I love WebOs,but Palm would already have to have some serious hardware, software upgrades in place for a new WebOs device to do well on Sprint.

    Some people, not saying me, did get burned by being an Early adopter for Palm, because we have Sprint service.
  12. #12  
    Little off-topic here....but after ditching the ad company Palm, should have also ended contract with the hardware manufacture and look for a new one....just saying.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Little off-topic here....but after ditching the ad company Palm, should have also ended contract with the hardware manufacture and look for a new one....just saying.
    To keep my crazy little prognostications going here: maybe Palm selected a different manufacturer for the next gen device...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  14. #14  
    Let's be totally honest here - did Radio Shack ever really "phase-in" the Pre and Pixi??
  15. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #15  
    I think the Pre was a good/best selling smartphone for Radio Shack in the early months, so it would be weird for them to phase it out. Unless, of course, there's truth to the Pre 2 rumor..
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I think the Pre was a good/best selling smartphone for Radio Shack in the early months, so it would be weird for them to phase it out. Unless, of course, there's truth to the Pre 2 rumor..
    I was being facetious. Don't know about others, but I didn't see much love for the Pre at RSs around where I live.

    However, I suspect the issue is more along the lines of a new WebOS device coming to Sprint in the next few weeks.

    I don't think it's going to be anything amazing though. I suspect we'll see the Pre+, and possibly the Pixi+ (Sprint didn't seem big on the WiFi on Pixis) rather than a brand new device. I think we'll see a totally new WebOS device sometime later in the year though.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think it's going to be anything amazing though. I suspect we'll see the Pre+, and possibly the Pixi+ (Sprint didn't seem big on the WiFi on Pixis) rather than a brand new device. I think we'll see a totally new WebOS device sometime later in the year though.
    Nope, I'm sticking with my prediction. And in all (some?) seriousness, I think that if Palm just sticks the Pre+/Pixi+ in place of the Pre/Pixi on Sprint, then we'll see a whole new round of gloom and doom in the press. In all honesty, I simply can't imagine palm being able to wait until the Q3 (calendar) before releasing a new device given current market conditions.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Nope, I'm sticking with my prediction. And in all (some?) seriousness, I think that if Palm just sticks the Pre+/Pixi+ in place of the Pre/Pixi on Sprint, then we'll see a whole new round of gloom and doom in the press. In all honesty, I simply can't imagine palm being able to wait until the Q3 (calendar) before releasing a new device given current market conditions.
    You know, right after I typed that, I thought:

    Why not both. They need to replace the Pre with something for repair/replacements, maybe they'll have both.
  19. #19  
    So if this the official decline of the Pre & Pixi starting with Radioshack? I have recently heard rumors from a friend that Best Buy maybe doing the same shortly
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You know, right after I typed that, I thought:

    Why not both. They need to replace the Pre with something for repair/replacements, maybe they'll have both.
    Exactly, and maybe more than that. I think Palm has stated that they intend to have three tiers: low, middle, and high. That would put the Pixi+ in at the low end (free with contract), Pre+ in the middle ($49 with contract) and the Pre 2/Pro/Prime/whatever at the high end ($149 with contract, or maybe $199).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions