Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Better make that "Fail of the day"
    epic fail of the day
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ROFL... flashback to my Basic skills in school on the Radioshack Tandy with the tape cassette drive!
    Yikes, I had one too.
    Shall I admit, I had to punch cards in college?
    I had an old Atari 600XL which used a cassette drive as well. Damn I hated those things. Anyone remember typing in the hexdecimal coded games by hand from magazines?
    TI 99/4a here, with a tape recorder for a drive, and the extended basic cartrige (extra memory, plus sprite support, it was AWESOME!). Before my dad splurged for the cord to connect the tape recorder, I made my little sister write down the several hundred lines of BASIC my friend and I wrote that day. She is a great girl.

Worst part about the TI 99/4a? The reset keys were CTRL =, and the way to make a plus sign was FNCT =, and the FNCT and CTRL buttons were small, and right next to each other. I probably wiped out my work at least a few dozen times trying to make a plus sign. Shoot that designer.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Atari 600xl with tape drive. Woot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I had an old Atari 600XL which used a cassette drive as well. Damn I hated those things. Anyone remember typing in the hexdecimal coded games by hand from magazines?
    You bet I did. Compute! and Compute's Gazette! Baloon Crazy was one of my favorites. I typed in many C64 apps from those. The switch from decimal values to hex values took some adjusting to, but it was much faster once I got used to it. When I got my PC-XT I had to dig up all my Compute! magazines and enter the PC versions.

I hated saving apps on cassette with my VIC-20. You never knew when you would get them back (but then, the quality of the tape *could* have had some influence on that.. ) I was so glad dad got the 1571 drive with the C128! (if only he'd have upgraded to the 3.5" drive (was that the 1581?)
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 04/20/2010 at 10:48 AM.
    TI-99/4A here too. While I started with the tape drive, we ended up with a PEB and the wonderful (at the time) floppy drive! Started with BASIC, then Assembly. I love the 99er magazine with lots of code I would type and play with.

I still have it (ok, not really since my brother currently has it in his house) and the system still works.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Been there, done that. But by the time the 600XL (and the 800XL) came out, I had moved up from the tape drive to the floppy drive. My first Atari computer though, was an 800. That, by itself, cost more than the much more powerful computers these days, and just about everything was an add on (floppy drive, monitor, hard drive, etc). I bought mine right after they started selling with the 48K pre-installed. The 800 was a model #, and a price point...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12