Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    IF, as some have suggested, Verizon is to blame for poor GPS performance on the Pre Plus, isn't this something Palm should have anticipated and made sure that Verizon would allow the GPS function to work before agreeing to launch the Pre Plus on their network?

    This is basically why the iPhone never launched on Verizon to begin with. There was some dispute over the app catalog, so Apple just took the iPhone elsewhere.

    Palm should have had the foresight to catch this before it became an issue. Verizon should quit being a d*ck and let GPS work.
  2. #2  
    Verizon isn't blocking GPS. Lol. The Pre has a terrible GPS chip, it's just as equally bad on the Sprint version of the Pre.
  3. #3  
    No problems on Sprint with GPS. In Arizona if that makes a difference.
  4. #4  
    The only way I can get GPS to reliably work up here in Canada on Bell is to turn off the Google option. Then everything works fine, maybe not quite as accurate in location, but I'm not that picky.
  5. #5  
    No problems here with my Sprint GPS either. If it is truly hit and miss, just from reading the posts here it seems that the Plus models have a lot more problems with GPS than the regular Pres. (Not saying there aren't issues with Sprint's Pres for GPS, but they do not seem to be so rampant.)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Verizon isn't blocking GPS. Lol. The Pre has a terrible GPS chip, it's just as equally bad on the Sprint version of the Pre.

    Errr... What?

    Sprint Pre, no problems with GPS. Sounds more like a Verizon thing from the number of posts regarding this issue I've seen of late. I'm in Texas for whatever that's worth.

    I personally had a few problems early on with getting a lock after surfing the web or watching videos on youtube but nothing a reboot wouldn't clear up and not for a while now.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 04/19/2010 at 01:26 PM.
  7. #7  
    I have never had a single issue with GPS on my launch-day Sprint Pre, nor so far with its replacement from Asurion (following a dunk in a cup of green tea).

    At the same time, while I doubt that Verizon is purposefully crippling the GPS capabilities of the Pre Plus, I doubt that Palm had the clout to make too many demands on Verizon as their contract was being written.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    May those 8 extra gigabytes of storage covered up the GPS antenna.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    May those 8 extra gigabytes of storage covered up the GPS antenna.
    There you go... That must be the reason.
  10. #10  
    I had two BRAND NEW Pres on Verizon. GPS worked on NONE. I had 2 refurbs and 2 brand new Pres on Sprint and GPS always worked flawlessly on them. So don't tell me that Verizon isn't blocking GPS. They did the same years ago with Blackberries then unblocked them later with a software update. Problem is Verizon blocks the GPS and even Verizon sales people and tech support is mislead by Verizon that no such blocking is happening.
  11. #11  
    I haven't heard many people complain about the Pre's GPS. It seems to be a Pre Plus/Verizon issue. I'm sure both models use the same chip.
  12. #12  
    I have never had a problem with my Sprint PRE's GPS....whether it was Google or Sprint Nav.

    With that said, I thought it was widely known that Verizon likes to cripple certain aspects of phones, as to make the consumer use Verizons own services ie.....Verizon's Nav service?
  13. #13  
    The only time I've had an issue with the GPS was back during the 1.0.3 days. I think once Palm released 1.1 for webOS, that cleared it up.

    Since then I have not had 1 single issue with my Sprint Pre's GPS. Everything works flawlessly.

    From what I've been reading on the VZW forums is pointing towards a VZW block of the GPS - IMO.

    Seems fishy that GPS won't work until VZW users go into VZNavigator. Seems like they are pushing their nickle and dime tactics

    --all said in my opinion so please don't flame me for "spreading FUD"--
  14. john3976's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    I had two BRAND NEW Pres on Verizon. GPS worked on NONE. I had 2 refurbs and 2 brand new Pres on Sprint and GPS always worked flawlessly on them. So don't tell me that Verizon isn't blocking GPS. They did the same years ago with Blackberries then unblocked them later with a software update. Problem is Verizon blocks the GPS and even Verizon sales people and tech support is mislead by Verizon that no such blocking is happening.
    You full of it, if Verizon was blocking GPS on the webOS phones then the Pixi would not work as well, my wife has the Pixi and it works great with the GPS, my pre on the other hand is hit and miss.
  15. #15  
    The Sprint camp was complaining just as much about GPS issues back in the day. Do a search on here for GPS starting in June 2009 and you will find many threads siting many of the same issues with GPS that some of our VZW camp are experiencing now. Here is but one from November.

    I believe the biggest issue with GPS has to do with user expectation more than anything else. My VZW Pre+ does GPS just fine [especially when in motion rather than standing still]. I use it pretty much every day and once in a while it is off, but not by much.
  16. #16  
    I'm just comparing my Sprint Pre's GPS to other phones I have lying around, and in comparison it sucks. It takes forever to get a solid lock, even with assisted gps (via WiFi). Forget getting anything indoors, even when my other handsets have no issues. The GPS chip used is weak.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm just comparing my Sprint Pre's GPS to other phones I have lying around, and in comparison it sucks. It takes forever to get a solid lock, even with assisted gps (via WiFi). Forget getting anything indoors, even when my other handsets have no issues. The GPS chip used is weak.
    That's weird... My GPS locks on quickly even if I'm in my basement... It's worked fine in PA, NJ, and GA.
  18. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #18  
    GPS on my Sprint Pre is fantastic. It fixes on me in the basement of a 4 story building. I didn't even think that was possible. =o Gowalla found me though and let me check in!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I have never had a problem with my Sprint PRE's GPS....whether it was Google or Sprint Nav.

    With that said, I thought it was widely known that Verizon likes to cripple certain aspects of phones, as to make the consumer use Verizons own services ie.....Verizon's Nav service?
    Most of us are doing our groaning on Verizon's "Community forums" rather than here where all of the other provider's users are gathering. Many are just taking their Pre +, whatever, back to the store and paying the $35 restocking fee. For me, (retiree), GPS is not an essential function and although I still have a few days of 30-day return eligibility I'll just stick with this one.

    The only thing I know on the GPS issue (whether recognized by Verizon or not it is an Issue) is that mine will work normally for an average of two days. Now when GPS quits working with other applications, I open their "VZ Navigator App", (which I refuse to pay an additional $9.99/mo for), when it gets to the point where it offers for me to sign up for that "service" I simply put it in the background then toss it. Sure enough all of my GPS apps will then run quite acceptably for a couple of days before I have to repeat it. Many of us are hoping WebOS 1.4.1.1 will "fix" this when Verizon finally releases the update - but I have my doubts.

    Not saying this is something deliberate - it is what *I* happen to be seeing and, for me, it works every time - others have reported it doesn't help them.
  20. #20  
    i have a sprint pre and i am a truck driver.. my gps works flawlessly everywhere i go correct me if im wrong, but isnt verizon known to do do this sort of thing.... and if your on verizon, you must be rich, so just pony up for their nav
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions