• Yes

8 32.00%
  • No

16 64.00%
  • I dont know

1 4.00%
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Please ONLY vote if you are on Verizon...

I have tried the "fixes" for GPS with Verizon and while the GPS will work for a while it ALWAYS goes back off (especially when restarting the phone etc)

So...am I the only one on verizon thats has GPS that doesn't work period? And BTW having to turn things off/on restart phone..run trapster etc qualifies as not working because its a temp fix and has to be redone apparently.

Does it do this BS with VZnavigator too (I'd have to assume not) because that would be the difference between hardware/software issue.

*Before anyone says their GPS works its just way off thats not GPS and that would be your Google Services (which is always off on my phone).

I am getting severely butthurt over this issue with the phone...any responses would be greatly appreciated because I am at a point where I don't know what to do and wether I should be storming into the VZW store or calling Palm ****ed off
    This issue has been discussed extensively in other threads. Anyone who cares, knows that the Verizon Pre Plus GPS has issues. You can get it to work by opening VZW Nav or sometime Trapster or another GPS program. We all hope they are working on fixing it in the 1.4.1 update. If your's doesn't work even by using the "work-arounds" then it might be defective and you can return it. You can storm into the Verizon store, but they aren't going to be able to "fix" the GPS without a software update.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    This issue has been discussed extensively in other threads. Anyone who cares, knows that the Verizon Pre Plus GPS has issues. You can get it to work by opening VZW Nav or sometime Trapster or another GPS program. We all hope they are working on fixing it in the 1.4.1 update. If your's doesn't work even by using the "work-arounds" then it might be defective and you can return it. You can storm into the Verizon store, but they aren't going to be able to "fix" the GPS without a software update.
    Maybe if more people made a fuss about this with VZW/Palm instead of doing bs workarounds it would be resolved already..this phone isn't brand new ya know...

FYI who controls updates being released...it's VZW btw (rhetorical question for ya). VZW drags their feet EVERY single time their is an update for any of their phones...if this wasn't a 'free' work phone I'd drop them like a bad habbit because they are always the last to get decent phones; pair that with slow updates and it is a frustrating experience for the tech savvy end user. I can't imagine why anyone would go out of their way to get VZW except if you live in BFE...because to be honest ATT seems to work just as good if not better in the area I live in (DFW). To top it all off, CDMA is not as fast as 7.2 3G isn't world phone compatible and sucks battery...thats my mini rant for VZW and why this is just the icing on the cake with their crappy service (it takes forever to go into a VZW store to get customer service or a new phone, in and out of the ATT store in 20 minutes to get my gf an iphone signing up as a new customer). And it's funny how the GPS works fine for their NOT free VZ Navigator isn't it?!?

edit: and call me crazy but I get the feeling VZW wants this phone to fail (or just not flourish) because of their beloved Droid and now Droid Incredible...
    Last edited by hawse771; 04/18/2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    Maybe if more people made a fuss about this with VZW/Palm instead of doing bs workarounds it would be resolved already..this phone isn't brand new ya know...

FYI who controls updates being released...it's VZW btw (rhetorical question for ya). VZW drags their feet EVERY single time their is an update for any of their phones...if this wasn't a 'free' work phone I'd drop them like a bad habbit because they are always the last to get decent phones; pair that with slow updates and it is a frustrating experience for the tech savvy end user. I can't imagine why anyone would go out of their way to get VZW except if you live in BFE...because to be honest ATT seems to work just as good if not better in the area I live in (DFW). To top it all off, CDMA is not as fast as 7.2 3G isn't world phone compatible and sucks battery...thats my mini rant for VZW and why this is just the icing on the cake with their crappy service (it takes forever to go into a VZW store to get customer service or a new phone, in and out of the ATT store in 20 minutes to get my gf an iphone signing up as a new customer). And it's funny how the GPS works fine for their NOT free VZ Navigator isn't it?!?

edit: and call me crazy but I get the feeling VZW wants this phone to fail (or just not flourish) because of their beloved Droid and now Droid Incredible...
    Well Vzw is the only one so far that has the plus version and it seemed to come with it's own issues, one example is the keyboard. The phone may not be new but who knows what Palm changed internally to "improve" it.

Also I don't recall Vzw dragging their feet with the 1.4 update. Palm just pushed it out the next day to not overload their servers.
    Hint hint: someone at 800Mhz kernel thread mentioned that Verizon GPS works without any need for workarounds when using 800Mhz patch. Just something you may wanna try.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    Hint hint: someone at 800Mhz kernel thread mentioned that Verizon GPS works without any need for workarounds when using 800Mhz patch. Just something you may wanna try.
    I have the 800MHz patch and it didnt change my need for VZNav being open. And dont be surprised if verizon takes a very long time to release any kind of update (think weeks to months). Verizon has a way of missing the boat. They took weeks to release the BlackBerry OS 5/0 for the tour and when they did, they did it to add push to talk on the Tour, except one thing, the tour is ending its time and being replaced soon.

Dont pretend like nobody at verizon or palm turned on the Pre Plus's GPS before they released it. They knew and know exactly what they are doing and where they can make money. GPS works on the Pre with sprint nav and if it works on ATT, them its not the Pre Plus in general. That leaves....Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by hawse771 View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would go out of their way to get VZW except if you live in BFE...because to be honest ATT seems to work just as good if not better in the area I live in (DFW). To top it all off, CDMA is not as fast as 7.2 3G isn't world phone compatible and sucks battery...
    You need to do a little more research on your network speeds. ATT has their network capped at 3.2Mbps with Verzon capped at 3.1Mbps. ATT is capable of 7.2Mbps but they are not running it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    I have the 800MHz patch and it didnt change my need for VZNav being open. And dont be surprised if verizon takes a very long time to release any kind of update (think weeks to months). Verizon has a way of missing the boat. They took weeks to release the BlackBerry OS 5/0 for the tour and when they did, they did it to add push to talk on the Tour, except one thing, the tour is ending its time and being replaced soon.

Dont pretend like nobody at verizon or palm turned on the Pre Plus's GPS before they released it. They knew and know exactly what they are doing and where they can make money. GPS works on the Pre with sprint nav and if it works on ATT, them its not the Pre Plus in general. That leaves....Verizon
    Oh I NEVER pretended that. I bet you anything Verizon executives very well know why GPS is not working for so many people but are playing 3 monkeys when it comes to acknowledging the problem. In return they are receiving so many returned phones with supposed GPS problems. All so they can charge people 9.99 extra a month. Not realizing they are harming themselves with that attitude.

Also it's interesting that when FCC questioned Verizon over why they are charging 350 dollars ETF fee for smartphones they argued that it is to cover additional expenses they incur with smartphones. You would think that they would not cripple GPS on their smartphones after defending themselves with that kind of a statement.

Verizon = GREEDY! That's why I ran back to Sprint in first 7 days of my trial without ever looking back.