Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

As this is my 1000th post (yep, it's official I am past the point of Palm Geek and deep into the realms of Palm Nerd!) - I thought I would take this opportunity to make a little post comparing the state of my current Palm Pre with the futuristic little black pebble I unboxed a little over 9 months ago.

The first thing I noticed when I held the phone was how small it was - I remember feeling just dumbstruck because I'd come from a BlackBerry Bold (and if you haven't held one of them before then believe me when I say that the original Bold is one mother spaceship of a phone).

Back then, we were using 1.1.3 (I believe) and the Operating System was a bare bones affair. The calendar lagged to the point that I just wanted to cry; there was no way to customize sound notifications; the phone dialer app would all but crash the system whenever a call came through. There were no apps to speak of other than the obligatory 'restaurant tip calculator' and a pretty ugly 'connect-4' game and there was certainly no whisper or even a glimmer of hope for 3D games, video recorders or anything of that nature.

It was basically a very pretty, but slightly non-functional smartphone, running a freshfaced but very much unsupported OS. Coming from a BlackBerry it was like a slap in the face; I felt like I had purchased the first generation iPhone's little brother while my friends with iPhone 3GS's looked on smugly.

But Palm's developing team - oh my God, Palm's developing team. The updates came in thick and fast, and even to this day they haven't slowed (a major update pushing Facebook to 1.2 is set to release sometime this week) - between Team Palm and the fantastic homebrew community there was (almost literally) something new to install and look forward to every day.

First we saw patches really begin to thrive - new ideas were rampant and Precentral's resident developers were easily keeping up with demand. It went on, until we came to a point where there literally wasn't much more we could ask for in terms of patches - if WebOS was a garden then the homebrew apps and patches were truly the flowers that filled it. Even today we're seeing brilliant new ideas for patches like the brand new Faster Card Animations by xanthinealkaloid.

All the while Palm was flinging out OTA updates like nobody's business, with support for Yahoo, a much improved calander and phone app, a vastly more compatible web browser, speed optimizations, the wonderful Facebook app (can the iPhone 3GS view videos directly from the Facebook feed? Didn't think so!), improvements to the UI visually such as splash screens for more intuitive app loading (not to mention the famous changing of the clock's font - "we got a whole update just to change the font!?" - <3 the forums).

Before we knew it, and in a flurry of updates that I don't think any of us really expected we suddenly found ourselves playing 3D accelerated games that smoked the framerate of the iPhone 3G and came pretty damn close to the the 3GS. This we took great delight in proving to all our friends using our brand new fangled video recorders, unlocked with yet another OTA update. (It should also be mentioned here that the fantastic WebOSInternals team had us playing both Doom and Quake in glorious 3D before this point, while the before-their-time developers of Precorder had been shooting home vids for months).

And all that is without even mentioning the incredibly powerful SDK and PDK including the ground breaking Project Ares. WebOS is, and will probably remain the single most dynamic smartphone platform for developing - with support for Java, HTML5, C using the PDK, Qt, and more recently X11 applications. There is also talk of a method to quickly and easily port Android apps to WebOS.

Next in this long list of triumphs came the huge news that Caj2008 and Unixpsycho had modified the kernel and enabled us to run our phones at the blistering speed of 800mhz - and best of all, Palm has (to this day) not tried at any step of the way to prevent us or rebuke us for our homebrew habits (though they did warn that overclocking our Pre's might result in voiding our warranty, that's as far as they went).

Some few weeks ago the paid App Catalog was released in Europe (and Canada, I believe), and has rapidly reached parity with the US catalog (with the exception of some regionally restricted apps). We are spoiled for choice in excellent apps such as Foursquare, Tweed, Pandora, Engadget, Digloo, Google Maps, drPodder, Scratch, Visual Boy Advance, and Preware to name just a tiny fraction. And there are plenty more big players to look forward to (and I really believe that they are coming - we're talking Skype, Opera Mini, Spotify, TVCatchup, Docs2Go, Shazaam). Edit: For the record, there's no evidence for many of these, however I'm confident we will see them all in the future.

And speaking of software, let's talk hardware - Europe has yet to get its grubby paws on a Pixi, but it won't be long before we're playing with the Pre Plus and the Pixi Plus. The Pre especially has had its fair share of hardware problems, but to be fair to them Palm are fixing them - the newer batches are without a doubt much sturdier than the old ones. If a little bird is to be believed we're all set to hear about a new device this June, so there's something to look forward to

And so I find myself sitting here with my little Palm Pre, effortlessly streaming bluetooth music to my hifi, browsing multiple webpages with N.O.V.A paused but running in full glorious 3D in the background with Facebook popping up background notifications, a first class camera and video recorder within reach of a single button and a whole universe of apps and patches at my fingertips. I never would have believed it possible last July, or even before Christmas.

And whether Palm is bought or not, I can't wait to see where WebOS and its community is going to take us next.

Last edited by SqyArc; 04/18/2010 at 04:35 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Don't worry if you didn't manage to read through all that, I typed way more than I intended! But there was a lot to talk about
    grats on post 1000. Now back to reading your post
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    It is pretty impressive how much that small company can pump out. I'd love to see the faces of Pre owners if they went back to WebOS 1.0.3.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    amazing post.. i think many of us, including myself have forgotten how feature lacking web-os was at time of release, and have been complaining that palm hasn't been doing enough. The main problem is the hardware (speed, battery life, and hardware problems). The problem is that web-os has it share of flaws, but wouldn't of been nearly as bad if it had amazing hardware. But since the hardware isn't very good, people are looking for the software to make up for it all. And it simply can't do that.

I'm curious to know what palm is working on. It's been a month and a half since our last major update. So we should be hearing some news/rumours/leaks in the next few weeks about upcoming features.
    Very nice post, you laid it out very well! Amazing what Palm has been able to pull off in 10 short months!
    And I know I've said it a million times, but compared to the release of the Android G1 and the BB Storm, Palm did a very VERY good job of releasing a phone with stable software and tons of room to grow.

Great post. And I really hope Palm can keep it together to release even better phones in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    And I know I've said it a million times, but compared to the release of the Android G1 and the BB Storm, Palm did a very VERY good job of releasing a phone with stable software and tons of room to grow.

Great post. And I really hope Palm can keep it together to release even better phones in the future.
    yup... But to fair google's, and rim's future didn't depend on it..

either way palms done an amazing job.
    good post!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Congrats on your 1,000 post SqyArc. WebOS has come along quite well especially for a company that has very little support from the rest of the smartphone devs and is very small with limited resources. I came on board at version 1.2 with only 300 apps in the catalog. Needless to say I questioned my choice on buying the pre and now I'm glad I didn't dump my pre.

Now if some how preware could become an official app in the catalog, that would be a huge win for all pre/pixi owners.
    Thanks for the great post. It's helping solidify my decision to go with the Pre Plus when it hits AT&T...lucky me, I have an upgrade due about the time it should be there!
    well said, very well said! I've managed to point out pretty much everything that the Pre and it's community great.
    Some people come in precentral.net with only one mission, to jump in every thread to post a negative thread bashing Palm, ignoring all of the positive things that Palm has accomplished in the last 10 months. While the Pre is not perfect, IMO the positves far outwiegh the negatives and for over 10 months now I have enjoyed using my Pre. Awesome post and congrats SqyArc on your 1000 posts, it's refreshing to see people like yourself posting threads like these.
    Great post - Welcome to the 1K milestone!

I truly is amazing to see how far and fast Palm has come with so far. Nice to see someone highlighting the positives... or more to the point - just how many and large the positives are!
    What you just described is how a mobile operating system evolves... Personally I enjoyed reading this, and I would encourage everyone to read this so they understand how a operating system evolves. The first iPhone OS release I'm sure was just awful, now it's a pretty enjoyable experience (not as good as webOS ;P), but the iPhone OS evolved just like webOS is... I guess what I'm saying is, I really like how you went from launch of webOS to where it is now, which I would love to show any a-hole that says "How many apps does your phone have again?"...
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    What you just described is how a mobile operating system evolves... Personally I enjoyed reading this, and I would encourage everyone to read this so they understand how a operating system evolves. The first iPhone OS release I'm sure was just awful, now it's a pretty enjoyable experience (not as good as webOS ;P), but the iPhone OS evolved just like webOS is... I guess what I'm saying is, I really like how you went from launch of webOS to where it is now, which I would love to show any a-hole that says "How many apps does your phone have again?"...
    It is true that WebOS will continue to get better. However, the major difference between the iPhone OS and WebOS is Apple is a large company with deep pockets that was attempting to expand into a new arena, while Palm is a much smaller company that bet the farm on WebOS. Palm needed to knock it out of the park immediately while Apple could proceed slowly and methodically and take financial hits while they worked out the kinks.

Plus Apple has a very large loyal following, while Palm's is small.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Excellent post! Brought back fond memories (also on my launch day Pre). What I truly enjoyed is the how we got here. It's not the destination, it's the journey that is fulfilling. Hats off to webOS devs and Palm too.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    We have come quite a long way in 10 months, thanks for reminding us all. It is good to see this, seems like everyone likes to post doom and gloom.

I am really getting tired of the EVO 4G posts.

Thanks for summarizing why I love my Palm Pre.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Great post man could of not word it better myself, also great to see you back from your time off here at precentral, hope everything worked out OK for you
    thank you sir for a wonderful post.. congrats on 1000 posts.. our palm pres and pixies have made a tremendous journey, and i think they are just getting started... palm, you are awesome!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast