Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    my phone along with many others im sure have a crack coming from the usb slot, and now my power button wont work and they wont exchange cuz they say i caused damage to the phone. i told them this is not my fault but a manufacturer problem but dude was a a-hole and wasnt listening. told me to go through insurance
    There's an on-going thread on the Palm support forums here:
    Pre - Usb Door Cracks - PreCentral Poll - Palm Support Community

Looks like Palm will recognize this as a defect and replace it under warranty as long as they decide it isn't due to physical abuse. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this means you'll be without your Pre for at least a week as you have to mail it to them, await their decision, then have a replacement mailed to you.

It's a pretty tough choice in my opinion. Bite the bullet and pay insurance for an issue that you know is a manufacturers defect, but not have any downtime without a phone. Or, mail your phone back to Palm for free and wait 7-10 days for them to send you a refurbished unit as replacement, assuming they determine it's not your fault it's cracked. If you have a backup phone you can activate in the meantime, option #2 is likely the way I'd go.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    This is very well known. Warranty will cover cracks around the center button but not the USB crack. A few people have been lucky and got Sprint to exchange it but most have had to go through insurance, including myself.

EDIT: Wizzums, you posted that while I was typing my reply. At least some people are getting somewhere with this because it definitely is a defect and not caused by abuse.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 04/18/2010 at 12:27 PM.
    I had mine get that crack within 2 weeks of my getting my Pre in June. Sprint guy took one look at it, handed it back to me and said he can't touch it because of physical damage.

I was able to get Sprint corp. to comp me 50 dollars towards my insurance claim since the phone was not even 2 weeks old.

It almost seems like it is a known issue, but without any word from Palm it isn't. Sucks but that is the case.
    I must have been lucky then. Sprint replaced my Pre for this. Although that could of had something to do with the fact that there were Palm reps in the store at the time.
    Last edited by Nightburn; 04/18/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    thanx cuz of this crack it caused a slight crack on the screen too and i guess i might as well go thru insurance cuz i cant go 1 day w/o my pre.. but cuz of this they wont get this phone back from me im claiming lost ....evl
    welcome to my world I too have the crack and it has spread too the screen the good news it that it appears to have stoped and so far there are no issues with the fuction of the touch screen but Sprint refuses to do anything because they say I damaged it and now if anything else goes wrong I am screwed.

I hope Palm does the right thing and replaces these things and not make us wait a week for the replacement I recently cancelled my landline so being without a phone is un-exceptable.

Also with the crack on my screen how can I reccemend this phone to anyone I'm actually embarrassed to show it to anyone now. Don't get me wrong I love the OS and feel it's the best out there but the hardware leaves little to be desired.

I say if they do not replace this under the warrenty we start a class action lawsuit.
    Last edited by rjbphotos; 04/18/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    That's really strange that Sprint wouldn't replace your phone. I have a small crack that starts from the usb plug and has made its way slightly onto my screen. I'm afraid it's gonna start to spider eventually.

Anyhow, took it to the sprint repair center. Was told that it's not covered under the warranty b/c it's an exterior problem. Nevertheless, the guy asked the tech dudes and ultimately put in an order for a new Palm Pre to replace mine. Printed me an order ticket and just need to wait until this Tue/Wed.

I don't have insurance through Sprint, so I think the guy was just hooking me up, or figured that there are so many Pre just sitting around, so why not help me out. Who knows.
    just do an advanced replacement with Palm.
    and tell them no you are not paying the $29.95.
    try a different store, i got cracks around the power button from pressing it, never dropped, then the volume keys went out, first store the guy was an *********, I mean an ahole, wanted to fight him before it was over with... went to another store and they ordered me a new one right away. Depends on who you get I suppose, but some of these clowns that feel empowered by being a sprint manager or whatever need to get a grip.
    I got mine replaced for this reason about a month ago. I took a copy of the Sprint website that says it IS covered under warranty. Do a search for this title - Troubleshoot when the LCD screen on your Palm Pre is cracked.
    they wouldn't replace mine after going throug several departments on the phone for an hour. We don't have a landline either so I NEED a phone and can't and WON'T pay for inusrance which they ALSO said won't cover it either. Palm needs to mark this as an issue but sprint isn't replaceing pres last I checked either... Palm needs to seriously consider discounts for pre owners to the next device because I'm not paying for a replacement refurb phone when I didn't hurt my phone. I would pay the two year contract price for a new much better model or I'd lend the line to a friend until it's done and go on my own if my phone dies. Phones should last atleast 2 years when taken care of. Love the OS but hardware needs to be redone completely.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    do anybody else have a power button issue along with volume control not working..i dropped my phone like any other human but is this a legit complaint that i have, cuz i cant i cant turn on my phone w/o sliding it up and if it turns off im completely stuck i guess
    yeah i think htere was quite a few power button problems
    Try another store. Our store changed out my husband's phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    they wouldn't replace mine after going throug several departments on the phone for an hour. We don't have a landline either so I NEED a phone and can't and WON'T pay for inusrance which they ALSO said won't cover it either. Palm needs to mark this as an issue but sprint isn't replaceing pres last I checked either... Palm needs to seriously consider discounts for pre owners to the next device because I'm not paying for a replacement refurb phone when I didn't hurt my phone. I would pay the two year contract price for a new much better model or I'd lend the line to a friend until it's done and go on my own if my phone dies. Phones should last atleast 2 years when taken care of. Love the OS but hardware needs to be redone completely.
    you were on the phone with Palm or Sprint. Call Palm.
    My phone developed the crack recently and it spread quite quickly to the screen. I just called Sprint and had no problems at all. They're sending out an advance replacement phone in a few days.

Give them a call, explain it carefully and be polite. See what happens.
    I had the usb crack problem too which had spread to my screen. Then one day my screen started acting hinky, so I took it in to Sprint. Instead of replacing the phone, they replaced the screen on my phone and even installed a new usb door (took about an hour to do). Now my phone is like brand new but has the added advantage of having all my preware stuff on the phone.
    Well, the good news is Sprint got my replacement phone to me in one day and it was brand new in the box, not a refurb. The bad news is that it was stone cold DOA. I'm supposed to have a new one tomorrow.

The slider felt great but the keyboard was just plain awful. I guess we'll see how the next one is.
    it seems that Sprint changed their stance on the Pre and the cracking it can develop.. Now seeing as how I had to cough up money because they wouldn't touch it, I feel I should be reimbursed for paying asuran to send me a new phone, on an issue they now feel is covered with no questions asked.

I guess this is a burn since I was an early adopter of the Pre