Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Im puzzled, the Pre's screen i so much more vibrant, colorful, and sharp compared to the touch pro 2, htc hero, and iphone; and it looks just as good as the samsung moment with the amoled screen (with the exeption of the moment having darker blacks) but other than that the screen is just as nice when it comes to brightness, contrast, and sharpness...

why is this? is it OLED? TFT? other? im amazed on how good it looks but puzzled at the same time when it comes to why...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I honestly don't know! Everyone who sees my phone, always think that theres a sticker on there. I think theres water under the screen! :O
    Welcome to our world, we are the wasted youth, and we are the future too.
    http://diegoeatspandas.tumblr.com/ <--Tumblr<3 Follow.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah the Pre's screen is so vibrant for such a small display.
    It's colorful, crisp, bright, etc.

I wish I knew.
    its not amoled, its the standard smarphone lcd. Same as the iphone, but apperently a bit better.
  5.    #5  
    haha i see that im not the only one wondering... my jaw dropped when i saw the pre for the first time @ sprint back in June and to this day im still amazed on how a standard LCD can look this good. HTC devices sure look like washed out crap compared to this (this worries me since i plan to get me an EVO if Palm doesnt announce something soon)

PS. if you play Super KO Boxing 2 you will be reminded on the awesomeness of this screen
    (\__/)
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    haha i see that im not the only one wondering... my jaw dropped when i saw the pre for the first time @ sprint back in June and to this day im still amazed on how a standard LCD can look this good. HTC devices sure look like washed out crap compared to this (this worries me since i plan to get me an EVO if Palm doesnt announce something soon)

PS. if you play Super KO Boxing 2 you will be reminded on the awesomeness of this screen
    Everyone whos had a chance to handle the EVO says the screen is great so you shouldn't be too worried.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Everyone whos had a chance to handle the EVO says the screen is great so you shouldn't be too worried.
    i guess im still traumatized by the hero's abysmal screen colors lol
    (\__/)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike20PR View Post
    ...i plan to get me an EVO if Palm doesnt announce something soon)
    +1

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    the pre seems to have a deeper, richer, and vibrant look to it vs other phone. Htc phones seem to have a brighter screen causing people to think its just as good. The pre's screen is top notch in my book. It wins in sensitivity and looks. I just wish it was glass or better yet coated with oileophobic coating.
    I believe it is a TFT LCD with dithering. Also remember that it has the same resolution as the iPhone, but is smaller so the pixels are more dense, which makes it look much better.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Here's what the screen is:
    3.1-inch touch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color 320x480 resolution HVGA display

The Pre's screen is much richer looking compared to a larger screen (like the iPhone) because it is using the same resolution as the iPhone, but packing that into a slightly smaller (denser) screen area.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Here's what the screen is:
    3.1-inch touch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color 320x480 resolution HVGA display

The Pre's screen is much richer looking compared to a larger screen (like the iPhone) because it is using the same resolution as the iPhone, but packing that into a slightly smaller (denser) screen area.
    I am not sure about the 24bit. As far as I know the pre uses a TN TFT screen, which maxes at 18bit. However they use dithering to up the color count to that of 24 bit.

TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thing thats amazing is how bright it is at its lowest settings too. A very nice screen they built for sure.
    I love how I can see my screen in direct sunlight. No other phone I've used I can see the screen in direct sun light. I hope when/if they release a new phone it uses the same screen technology in that sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    I love how I can see my screen in direct sunlight. No other phone I've used I can see the screen in direct sun light. I hope when/if they release a new phone it uses the same screen technology in that sense.
    Just don't buy an AMOLED screen unless it says "Super AMOLED" from samsung. A standard TFT screen with the backlight turned up, should do you fine.

Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Just don't buy an AMOLED screen unless it says "Super AMOLED" from samsung. A standard TFT screen with the backlight turned up, should do you fine.
    Yeah that samsung galaxy s screen is AMAZING.
    Agreed about the Pre's screen in daylight--it's the best I've ever had on any device, hands down. And also agreed about no OLED unless it's that magical Samsung screen.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    yup, the super amloed is amazing!
    The pre looks so much better because it has the iphone res (320 x 480 ) with a smaller screen so it's much more crisp looking
    Last edited by 063_xobx; 04/18/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    The pre looks so much better because it has the iphone res (640 x 480 if I remember correctly) with a smaller screen so it's much more crisp looking
    lol... 480 x 320.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast