Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i upgraded my Verizon acct to a Palm Pre+ last week; it's my first smart phone. i want to love this phone, i really do. i love WebOS, but the quality of the hardware is awful. my first phone had a pencil-eraser-sized washed-out area on the screen. i exchanged it for a new one. 2nd phone had TWO washed-out areas on the screen, and i couldn't get the GPS to work, and there was a bad pixel in the camera sensor. so i exchanged it. 3rd one finally had a good screen, but the keyboard on this one drops about every 8th keypress (especially the 'y' and 't' keys), and the onscreen keypad often doesn't register presses at all, especially when typing PIN to enter voicemail, or while navigating automated phone menus. oh, and i can't get the GPS to do better than 1/2 mile accuracy, which is basically unusable for navigating city streets. what the heck? am i just unlucky? should i keep exchanging in hopes of finally getting a good phone? or do they all have problems, and i should give up and try Android?

thanks guys,
    -c
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpost View Post
    i upgraded my Verizon acct to a Palm Pre+ last week; it's my first smart phone. i want to love this phone, i really do. i love WebOS, but the quality of the hardware is awful. my first phone had a pencil-eraser-sized washed-out area on the screen. i exchanged it for a new one. 2nd phone had TWO washed-out areas on the screen, and i couldn't get the GPS to work, and there was a bad pixel in the camera sensor. so i exchanged it. 3rd one finally had a good screen, but the keyboard on this one drops about every 8th keypress (especially the 'y' and 't' keys), and the onscreen keypad often doesn't register presses at all, especially when typing PIN to enter voicemail, or while navigating automated phone menus. oh, and i can't get the GPS to do better than 1/2 mile accuracy, which is basically unusable for navigating city streets. what the heck? am i just unlucky? should i keep exchanging in hopes of finally getting a good phone? or do they all have problems, and i should give up and try Android?

thanks guys,
    -c
    No man i changed mine for about 5 times lol, listen the leaked screen is on every device its part of LCD screens if laptops leak if you look at them closely.

also if you notice the screen leaks more the hotter it gets, when it gets extremely hot you might notice it more.

Just exchange again for one with a working keyboard. Trust me you'll get one where the leakage isn't very noticable and a good keyboard.

It's completly worth it, even with its hardware flaws.
    Have you found the Oreo yet???
    I don't think its possible to turn to another OS after WebOS seriously what are you options Android? Iphone? Windows Mobile 7? Switching between programs is a chore lol. Well iphone isn't that bad but still a few double clicks and scrolls finding your most frequently accessed program is still a pain.
    give it one more try.. Webos is to good of an OS
    I think that anyone here will pretty much agree that we don't stick with the pre because of the reliability of the hardware. i'm on my fourth.

The only reason i'm still here is because of the outstanding operating system and the homebrew scene. I simply can't let it go.

I'm gonna be perfectly honest with you at the expense of Palm. If you don't feel like you can deal with an occasional hardware annoyance (pre+ is known to have GPS and keyboard issues, many have headphone jack issues, oreo effect is coming) than you will probably want to look elsewhere and wait (pray) for palm to release some new hardware.

Also the pixi, is a good alternative, but it doesn't have all the apps (or potential) and the screen is smaller.
    man let it go. You shouldn't have to change phones 3 &4 times dude. It's always somethin wrong with these phones. Welcome to the club

that new droid comin out the incredible you might want to hop on that.cause soon as that htc evo 4g drop on sprint I'm gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    Have you found the Oreo yet???
    What's Oreo? (other than the cookie0
    I've searched, but all I can seem to find is reference to the Oreo effect without explanation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    I don't think its possible to turn to another OS after WebOS seriously what are you options Android? Iphone? Windows Mobile 7? Switching between programs is a chore lol. Well iphone isn't that bad but still a few double clicks and scrolls finding your most frequently accessed program is still a pain.
    Yeah that's a real problem. I've been very lucky my original Pre (since Aug'09) has been working quite well, but I do notice a couple of pesky issues that make me wonder if it's going to survive the whole 3 year term...

I'd probably replace it with another Pre at least once (or maybe twice ) if I had to. But if I finally got fed up and wanted to swap for something different, what would I get? Android OS is nowhere near as smooth & polished as webOS.. And I'd be surprised if WP7 winds up being a shocking improvement over WinMo 6.x.

What's left? iPhone? Symbian?? RIM?

I'm just hoping my current Pre keeps going till the next webOS device hits the market..
    the fact that you are asking this question here either means that you want to keep the phone and are aking for us to support you in this or you are a troll and just want to spout some negitivity here -- there a alot of fanatics here and a few trolls -- take it back -- keep it -- neither choice means anything to any of us -- but if you do keep it and decide to be a participent in these forums instead of a lurker then be warned -- this phone is so addictive and fun and there are so many things that can be done with the operating system that you will lose a lot of your free time here -- the community is generally very helpful and the sky is the limit with what you can do

so in closing man up -- do what ever YOU want to do --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I'm on my first Pre (got it in October) - Screen is great, touch works perfectly. Keyboard could be better - but not bad and no lost/double keys. Hardly any Oreo.

There's no doubt some percentage with productions issues - all devices get that. The Pre might have above average problems. But folks - keep in mind that those with problems are the ones most likely to post on forum - so it will look like it's more common than it is.

I had to exchange my Touchpad a couple of times though. Known problem with induction spool. Could have fixed it myself but didn't bother while within warranty period. Eventually got one that works well.

The OS is so much better than IPhone and Android and the rest that I would tolerate a few device exchanges until I got a good one.
    I have the verizon pre+.

I like it.

I recommend you try another Pre.

no screen problems with mine.
    Toss it and go with something else. Not everyone has the time to exchange their phones, and with Palm's future up in the air, it's not the best time to go hop into WebOS if you're not 100% sure about it.
    I think you shouuld at least check out what else is availale, since yo have abot 3 weeks before your 30 days are up. Ivve ggone through 3 pres in about 2 weeks on verizon, and this latest one has the keyboard issue, for whicch verizon won't exchange for a new pre because they think it will be corected next update. I will ggive them until the end of my 30 days and then I have to jump ship. It can't hurt to see what else is out there.
    my Pre Plus has been 99.9 percent perfect. Double keys issues keeps it from 100 percent. But even that has been improving. I can't be without it. If you're not happy, move on to the next imperfect device with a different OS
    Im still on my first sprint pre, been 3 months. Its has less of an oreo and more of a helicopter going on but I still love it. Iv learned to look past the glaring hardware issues and love the OS.

Also the gps problem is a known issue with V phones.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    All smartphones have their issues. These are very complex devices, with a lot of stuff crammed into their small shells. The OS's are also quite complex. I've had BB and would NOT go back from WebOS. I love my Pre+ compared to my so-so 8330 Curve. My Wife's 8530 Curve (the new one at Verizon) feels cheaper and doesn't have as good sound coming out of the speaker (my wife is seriously thinking about returning it and going back to her 8330).

I've tried the Droid. Too complex for daily use (not that I can't deal with complexity as I'm an Engineer whose done a lot of programming and Access database stuff). It's keyboard, quite frankly, sucks. It's also completely tied into Google's sphere. If you want the real wow bang integration and functions, you have to go Google. Gaming? 3D ain't there yet. The whole Android scene is a WinMo redo with compatibility issues from different versions and phones.

Too me, it's all about the importance of the experience and "just getting it done" factor on a smartphone. For me, WebOS is the best at that. While my phone has no significant hardware issues (occasional double typed or missed letters aside), the OS is what really makes it stand out. Does it stand out for you? If so, get the phone replaced until you have one that's good enough hardware wise to not be annoying for you. If not, then try another phone for 30 days and see what the other one's have to offer. You may find that they aren't better, and that you may have had the best os already. Or you may not.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    GPS bug is an easy fix. Launch Verizon Navigator and then card it in the background. Your GPS will work just fine (and turn off Google Services). The Keyboard bug is a pain but I can live with it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next software update. for a short term fix, turn off the phone and then press all the keys several times. I just run my thumb across the keyboard. This sometimes fixes the problem for a while.

I dont have a screen leaking problem so I dont know what that looks like.

I love this phone. It is my first Smart Phone. I know alot of other people with other smart phones, iPhone, blackberry, Driod, Windows Mobile, and other Palm phones and they all seemed to have problems at one time or another.
    I think switching will only result in new problems to deal with.
  19.    #19  
    thanks for all the tips and info, guys. i'll give the Pre another exchange or 2 before i give up on it. *fingers crossed*
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
    What's Oreo? (other than the cookie0
    I've searched, but all I can seem to find is reference to the Oreo effect without explanation.

Thanks
    Yeah that is what i was talking about, the Oreo effect. and it is the separation of the two half's of the palm pre, getting both half's to wiggle in opposite directions back and forth. slight wiggle of the two half's are normal, but once it gets to an outrageous point you should exchange your pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast