Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have done an awful lot of searching both here and google for this answer.

I connect to my phone via nautilus just fine and can see everything but no matter what i do i have no write access.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Just followed this:

Patch webOS Make USB Partition Writable via SFTP - WebOS Internals (Cant link)

Lost access to everything

Reverted what i did and now everything is gone. Only thing that didnt get whiped was the patches.

I have been using linux for years and never seen anything so weird come from just editing fstab.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hmm i wonder if i wipe the phone then start with that guide before installing anything if it will work ok??

Gonna try.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    And then i accidentally hit the full secure erase instead of the normal one. Just not my night.
    you could try novaterming in and do mount -o remount,rw /
    I'll Ssh you!! <--- this shows my lack of understanding of linux lol
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    you could try novaterming in and do mount -o remount,rw /
    Tried, /media/internal remains unwritable. It really does appear that the only way to write to that folder is via USB.
    I use WinScp and I can Write fine so its most likely your software
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by disposed View Post
    Tried, /media/internal remains unwritable. It really does appear that the only way to write to that folder is via USB.
    What login are you using for your ssh or scp? The USB partition is only writable by root and enabling root login directly is not really advisable.

FYI, the command
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    will not affect the USB partition which is mounted on /media/internal. That command causes only the file system mounted at the root mount point to be writable.

Unfortunately because /media/internal is not a normal Unix file system, you cannot change the ownership of directories so that a non-root login can write to it. Consequently, if you don't want to use a root ssh login, you need to use a different mechanism to copy files wirelessly to the USB partition.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I use WinScp and I can Write fine so its most likely your software
    You can write to /media/internal/?
    I can write to any where.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

You need to give the user that you connect as permission to write. Here is the fstab entry to allow this on /media/internal, for example:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat uid=500,gid=500,utf8,shortname=mixed    0 0
    The above assumes the user you use for sftp, ssh, etc is UID 500. By default, you're probably 1002 if you did not specify when you created the user. I use 500 b/c one update (1.3.5 -> 1.4.0 I believe) conflicted with the 1001 UID.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 04/20/2010 at 02:45 PM.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Unfortunately because /media/internal is not a normal Unix file system, you cannot change the ownership of directories so that a non-root login can write to it. Consequently, if you don't want to use a root ssh login, you need to use a different mechanism to copy files wirelessly to the USB partition.
    Incorrect. See above.
    The only time i have to set permission is if Im writing to the actual file system, NEVER for media/internal

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    The only time i have to set permission is if Im writing to the actual file system, NEVER for media/internal
    OP is talking about using SFTP wirelessly, I think. Need to set up fstab for that. Unless you have allowed root to ssh in. Not a good idea.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    You need to give the user that you connect as permission to write. Here is the fstab entry to allow this on /media/internal, for example:

Code:
    /dev/mapper/store-media /media/internal vfat uid=500,gid=500,utf8,shortname=mixed    0
    The above assumes the user you use for sftp, ssh, etc is UID 500. By default, you're probably 1002 if you did not specify when you created the user. I use 500 b/c one update (1.3.5 -> 1.4.0 I believe) conflicted with the 1001 UID.
    Thats what i did before that caused me to lose everything on my pre. I had to end up restoring the pre. Could have been a fluke or typo i suppose ill give it a shot tonight and report back.
    Thats what i did before that caused me to lose everything on my pre. I had to end up restoring the pre. Could have been a fluke or typo i suppose ill give it a shot tonight and report back.
    Working fine here. Sorry you're having problems. I'm using nautilus here as well on an ubuntu laptop. WebOS 1.4.1.1. That line was a direct copy/paste of the fstab on my phone.

I'm using optware's openssh, and sftp, not dropbear. Port 22, keyed auth with no password.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Working fine here. Sorry you're having problems. I'm using nautilus here as well on an ubuntu laptop. WebOS 1.4.1.1. That line was a direct copy/paste of the fstab on my phone.

I'm using optware's openssh, and sftp, not dropbear. Port 22, keyed auth with no password.
    Must have been a typo before. Just did it again and it works like a charm. Now i am satisfied with the phone.

Thanks for the help.
    Must have been a typo before. Just did it again and it works like a charm. Now i am satisfied with the phone.

Thanks for the help.
    Could be my fault. I was missing the second '0' at the end. I fixed it in the original post. Sorry about that :-(
    Had the exact same issue. remount /media/internal -o remount,rw did not work but rebooting the phone did. Now it works :]