Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not here to bash Palm. I've always been a fan (and previous owner) of their products, but if you look at the Pre's form factor, specifically, it's size and shape, there is no denying it was designed to appeal to women. Unfortunately, therin lies its problem. A first generation phone and operationg system must appeal to the techy at heart. The phone must appeal to the early adapters, that have the patience and desire to understand the phone's potential.

Who are these people? MEN

Where are these people? The vast majority have flocked over to the boxy Droid and the larger (less elegant or cury) HTC phones.

So what am I getting at? Palm Preís lackluster sales should not be solely attributed to anemic marketing or glitch-ridden hardware/software. Itís the target audience. Palm picked the wrong one for a first generation product. I love Palm, though, and wish it the best.
    I don't think the Pre looks girly... If anything, the Pixi is the woman's phone. Man I hope I don't get flamed for that...
    I know more women with black berries and Iphones. So.....what I'm saying is....... maybe they were geared for women?
    This is one of the silliest things I have ever read on these forums.

And that's saying something.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    I'm not here to bash Palm. I've always been a fan (and previous owner) of their products, but if you look at the Pre's form factor, specifically, it's size and shape, there is no denying it was designed to appeal to women. Unfortunately, therin lies its problem. A first generation phone and operationg system must appeal to the techy at heart. The phone must appeal to the early adapters, that have the patience and desire to understand the phone's potential.

Who are these people? MEN

Where are these people? The vast majority have flocked over to the boxy Droid and the larger (less elegant or cury) HTC phones.

So what am I getting at? Palm Preís lackluster sales should not be solely attributed to anemic marketing or glitch-ridden hardware/software. Itís the target audience. Palm picked the wrong one for a first generation product. I love Palm, though, and wish it the best.

if this is so then you must like yours
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    You watched too much Verizon ads.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If you're not using a perfectly good phone because you're that paranoid that omg, a female might like it as well, then you're the *****, not Palm. The big competition, you know...the iPhone....not Android...has a female userbase of 43%, which webOS is just shy of.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    ...A first generation phone and operationg system must appeal to the techy at heart.
    With all the support we get from the Linux guru's I would say this phone (webOS) has an incredible tech appeal.
    One's love of technology has nothing to do with their gender.
    what a silly post,,this phone has no girly look what's so ever,,maybe the pixie,because pf it's name but the pre? Give me a break. What a stupid post.
    Pixi looks girly.

Also, I disagree about the OS. The HW build (very poor) and marketing (FAIL) attributes to the Pre not selling well. The OS is better than any mobile OS currently out in the market. The phone does appeal to early adopters. Look at all of us. Many knew it was a 1st gen phone (and everything that it implies). Form factor is not an issue here. The form factor is great. The HW is a different subject all together.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    If the Pre was pink, I'd agree.
    straight out my Pre has more style and the os is better than the iphone's. Also if you think it's a women's phone I'd have to higly disagree. Just about every Pre owner I met is a male. And since most are in law enforcement I, which is profession where if your a guy you better have a guy kind of phone, I don't see the Pre falling in the "oh that's such a cute phone it goes with my purse" category. I guess it could but all the comments I ever received have been to the effect that it's a awsome how it can have so much things going on @ once.
    I'm not here to bash Palm. I've always been a fan (and previous owner) of their products, but if you look at the Pre's form factor, specifically, it's size and shape, there is no denying it was designed to appeal to women. ...
    Of course that can be denied. My wife hates the form factor. She likes the Pixi. I like the form factor, fits in my pants pocket like it was designed to be there.
    An incredibly "baffling" (to be polite) post. Maybe this is why the Pre is having such problems. Yes, there are hardware issues - not much different from any new phone (my son exchanged 3 Droids before in exasperation, he went back to his old phone to await a better Android phone).

But when the marketing gods can brand anything as male or female without regard to the underlying technology, there is not much else that can be done... other than assessing the technology with an open mind and not being stupid enough to buy into something because Madison Avenue says so.
    I really am floored by your reasoning. Not everyone wants to walk around with a brick in there pocket! I almost bought a Samsung moment until I realized how big and clunky the phone was. I like the size of the Pre and if someone was to walk up to me and say "You have a girl's phone" I'd probably either curse them out or hit them. Phones are unisex dude that's why they make them in different colors and sell skins for them. SO YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE THEM TO YOUR LIKING!
    I am an avid Palm fan, have a Pre from launch and it's still running great! WebOS is hands down the greatest, BUT I also thin the Pre's form is more like art or a jewl. The Pixi seems geard toword the tweens / teens. I'm a tech, so I would have loved a brick, like maybe the Pixi form, but on a larger scale with the Pre Plus specs...and larger screen.

My WinMo Treo's got dropped and beat up alot and I never woried bout them. I handle my Pre like glass and freak out if I drop it
    Someone once told me that my pre was a girl's phone... He then whiipped out his enV2. I lauged.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    Someone once told me that my pre was a girl's phone... He then whiipped out his enV2. I lauged.
    Hahahahahahahahah! ROFL!
    So what am I getting at?
    Nonsense. I sell the Pre and Pixie to men and women alike, based on their needs, regardless of the marketing route my company chooses to take.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast