Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmilliron View Post
    So, does thinking a particular phone looks girly make a person a sexist pig?
    Yes, now **** off. Seriously, it's a small black phone. Basically a shorter, fatter iPhone with rounder corners. JFC. Does it have to be flat? Is it webOS? Actually, I don't care. The Droid is to the left.
    Actually the girls I know think my phone is 'nice' but 'plain'... like they women asked me if their were covers for the phone to make it more bright and colorful lol...
    funny thread. though, it was definitely marketed at women by verizon for some reason. To be honest, I wouldn't mind the Pixi if it matched specs w/ the Pre. my pockets wouldn't mind having a super slim phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    I'm not here to bash Palm. I've always been a fan (and previous owner) of their products, but if you look at the Pre's form factor, specifically, it's size and shape, there is no denying it was designed to appeal to women. Unfortunately, therin lies its problem. A first generation phone and operationg system must appeal to the techy at heart. The phone must appeal to the early adapters, that have the patience and desire to understand the phone's potential.

Who are these people? MEN

Where are these people? The vast majority have flocked over to the boxy Droid and the larger (less elegant or cury) HTC phones.

So what am I getting at? Palm Preís lackluster sales should not be solely attributed to anemic marketing or glitch-ridden hardware/software. Itís the target audience. Palm picked the wrong one for a first generation product. I love Palm, though, and wish it the best.
    Jack Bauer on 24 carries the Pre...he defies orders even from the President and has no problem with waterboarding! The Pre is a mans phone.
    who do you think likes the mirror on the back more, men or women?
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    Black phones are for men
    Pink phones are for women
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas4885 View Post
    Jack Bauer on 24 carries the Pre...he defies orders even from the President and has no problem with waterboarding! The Pre is a mans phone.

If Jack Bauer carries the Pre, that's good enough for me! Back in the old days of the Treo 650, 700, 755 models, there was a huge long thread about Treo sightings, and there were constant comments on Jack Bauer using his trusted Treo for all his anti terrorist crime fighting activities! I remember people on this board would make comments like "that's impossible for the Treo to do that!" I think Jack Bauer must have carried a really pimped out Treo because his device could always do things nobody else's Treo could do!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    This is nonsense I have a pre and I am a woman, my husband has a pre and he is a man and we both like them technically and aesthetically.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Is that really a mirror though? Or just shiny metal?
    Because when I look at the mirror the space is just too small to actually be useful and it's blurry. If that's a mirror, add that to the hardware failures because it's not very functional.

iPod Classic comes with a chrome back plate and is curvy. Guess that's for girls too.
    why do people never question me when i'm wrong, and always question me when i'm right?

(alright, they also question me when i'm wrong, but that's not the point.)

THe point is that they have sated many times that it's a mirror. and the crazy looking investor guy actually said it in interviews. It doesn't mean it's only for women, or that your gay for having one, it just means they took time considering the needs of women. I'm a guy myself, and love the phone (not a huge fan of the small screen, and keyboard, but still), and i can accept that it was made with women in their mind. Now thats not to say that they ignored men completely, they just took alot of time considering how they could meet the needs of women.
    I always like palm products and love the pre...Small but has most functions I need...Put a ,manly theme on it if you want to toughen it up....
    I'm sorry, but it is not a girls phone. If it was a girls phone, there would be no preware, no 800Mhz overclock, nothing. I'm not saying girls can't do this, I'm saying that guys are more "techy" and the Palm Pre is a great phone to do techy things with.
    Bam.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Girl's phone, huh? LOL

Check out this new app...

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    I'm sorry, but it is not a girls phone. If it was a girls phone, there would be no preware, no 800Mhz overclock, nothing. I'm not saying girls can't do this, I'm saying that guys are more "techy" and the Palm Pre is a great phone to do techy things with.
    Bam.
    I'm not saying girls own this phone,or only girls should buy it,but that's who palm was targeting.
    This make absolutely no ****ing sense whatsoever... It's like saying an iPhone is a girls phone. Or if you're with At&t you're gay and if you're with Verizon you're a giant ****. Or If you're with MetroPCS you're ghetto...
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'm not saying girls own this phone,or only girls should buy it,but that's who palm was targeting.
    In that case, the iPhone is targeting women as well. Their backing made a hell of a better mirror than that tiny, blurry mess Palm stuck on the Pre.

Anyway, Palm having women in mind when designing their phone (the mirror is a **** and stereotypical example) is fine and all companies should consider the wider range of the population when creating a device, which is why the problem lies not with Palm, but with the insecure guys who can't handle that they weren't the only demographic considered in the making of a device and use this as a reason to brand a phone a "girly".
    This is the new Palm girl phone
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    maybe not so much the pre, but for sure the Centro was a girl's phone.
    wow I'm surprise this thread is still up lol
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    Bam.

That's aftersales modification - if you took your mother's bra and turned it into an aerial for a radio, that's would not change it's original purpose.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Is that really a mirror though? Or just shiny metal?
    Because when I look at the mirror the space is just too small to actually be useful and it's blurry. If that's a mirror, add that to the hardware failures because it's not very functional.

iPod Classic comes with a chrome back plate and is curvy. Guess that's for girls too.

MR. MCNAMEE: People who are really busy. People who use the Web a lot.

For one thing, look at this device. There has never been a smartphone designed before for people who care a lot about how it fits in your hand and who care about integration of multiple personal information or synchronization from the cloud. It has a mirror on the back. Remember, there has never been a smartphone designed for the needs of women before.

MS. SWISHER: Wait, wait. Women need mirrors more than, say, you?

MR. MCNAMEE: No, I am saying if you have the opportunity to stick a mirror on here, why wouldn’t you do it? If you are making it for 25- to 40-year-old nerds, you would have put a black thing back here. But we are sitting here going, “Look, it costs nothing. Why don’t we do it because you know what, people actually do need mirrors from time to time.”

MS. SWISHER: Are you aiming at the ladies? It is smaller, and it is cuter.

MR. MCNAMEE: Look, 52% of the population is women, and they have been grossly underserved.

MS. SWISHER: The iPhone isn’t the scariest phone in the world.

MR. MCNAMEE: We did a study of every single advertisement done in the smartphone category over the last three years, and other than Palm, there have been a total of four instances and one print ad by BlackBerry ever aimed at women. All the rest of them have Star Wars themes and they are all clearly aimed at testosterone-laced, tech-driven men.
    RIP Palm: it's over, and here's why
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast