1.    #1  
    I find myself in the position of being able to upgrade (I have Verizon) but have to do it within 30 days and cannot change my mind once I switch (my husband, trying to be sweet renewed our contracts and bought me a droid eris. I hate the thought of having a phone thats been discontinued a month after purchase as the eris will be in may, and also hate the thought of possibly never getting an upgrade to 2.0)

So my options seem to be the palm pre plus or the htc droid incredible which is being dropped on the 29th.

The incredible has an amoled screen, 8mp camera, 1ghz processor, etc, etc.
    Palm is for sale.

Is WebOS's superiority over android enough to forgo the Incredible and get the pre plus?
    Do you think palm will offer support for the device over the length of my contract considering all the issues they are having?

I really want to like/ own the palm pre. I like its shape, I like the physical keyboard and I love webOS... Im just scared of the state of their company and am having a really hard time justifying passing up such amazing hardware.

Help me stop waffling!
    the thing most people dont realize is that even if somebody buys out palm, that does not mean that all support and production from palm immediatley stops. It takes time for companies to merge and figure out what there plans would be.
    And even if palm stops putting out updates, webos has one of, if not the best homebrew community around. The developers on this site have done some amazing things! So if palm stops putting out updates, we have awesome developers that can and will find ways to keep webos alive and well.
    I love my Pre!! Multitasking is a must and having all the capabilities fit into such a compact phone is ingenious. True, things are looking grim for Palm, but bad news has a way of getting bigger than it really is. In any case Palm will get bought out and the new devices will rock just as good under a different name.

You're gonna be happy with the Pre and just annoyed with the App Catalog. Other than that Droid aint nothing special. Pre is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosyander View Post
    I find myself in the position of being able to upgrade (I have Verizon) but have to do it within 30 days and cannot change my mind once I switch (my husband, trying to be sweet renewed our contracts and bought me a droid eris. I hate the thought of having a phone thats been discontinued a month after purchase as the eris will be in may, and also hate the thought of possibly never getting an upgrade to 2.0)

So my options seem to be the palm pre plus or the htc droid incredible which is being dropped on the 29th.

The incredible has an amoled screen, 8mp camera, 1ghz processor, etc, etc.
    Palm is for sale.

Is WebOS's superiority over android enough to forgo the Incredible and get the pre plus?
    Do you think palm will offer support for the device over the length of my contract considering all the issues they are having?

I really want to like/ own the palm pre. I like its shape, I like the physical keyboard and I love webOS... Im just scared of the state of their company and am having a really hard time justifying passing up such amazing hardware.

Help me stop waffling!
    There is nothing confirming that Palm is "for sale". It's still conjecture at this point, though it's safe to say they are looking for ways to get a cash infusion.

Would a cash infusion be a bad thing? I don't think so.

Would they be able to survive if they don't get a cash infusion? I'd say it's a tossup, but they say yes.

Will someone continue support if they buy Palm? Almost certainly for a while.

Will someone continue to develop WebOS if they buy Palm? No one really knows, without knowing who buys them.

Now, for the "other" side of things.

Is there any phone you can buy right now that you know 100% sure that it will be fully supported and developed for the length of your contract? No, not really.

Are there phones that you can buy right now that you can be more sure of that than the Pre? Probably, but the list is relatively small.

Do you want one of those phones instead? You'd have to decide that one.

In short, there's really no firm answers, but I will say this. In my opinion, you're just as "safe" buying a Pre today as you were two weeks ago.
    Simple answer would be, hold on to your upgrade and purchase a pre from craigslist for around 200. Use the phone and see if you like it over a couple of months. If you see palm going under and support is nolonger, sell the pre and use your upgrade to get the evo or something on that level. Maybe a nexus one by that time. These phones are much cheaper through third parties. Your upgrade is once every two years. Don't make a mistake and use it wisely.
    htc do it