1.    #1  
    i just picked up a pre plus and have been handily impressed so far. my only issues with it have been a mysteriously loose battery cover (creaks when i type on it, it's been pretty hard to get accustomed to) and the phone's occasional sluggishness. i've had phone calls take up to 4 seconds to answer. i also eschew watches and frequently check my phone for the time. i'd say as often as not, there's a delay in the screen powering on. the delay can often be substantial, usually in the 4 to 5 second range. twice, i've counted out 8 seconds, just waiting for the screen to power on! is this a common flaw to pres or am i one of the lucky percentage who seemed to be shafted by the 1.4 update?
    Build Quality (TM)
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    normal
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I'm on the stock sprint pre and there's sluggishness but those times seem a little long. Could be how you use the phone or 1.4. You can usually start talking on the phone before the ui of the phone loads. When turning on the screen, just press it once. If you press it a few times it might reboot.
    press hard on the back cover on all 4 corners it should snap firmly and get rid of the creaking --if not take back for replacement -- 800mhz patch with uberscaling makes the pre lightning fast
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucas View Post
    i just picked up a pre plus and have been handily impressed so far. my only issues with it have been a mysteriously loose battery cover (creaks when i type on it, it's been pretty hard to get accustomed to) and the phone's occasional sluggishness. i've had phone calls take up to 4 seconds to answer. i also eschew watches and frequently check my phone for the time. i'd say as often as not, there's a delay in the screen powering on. the delay can often be substantial, usually in the 4 to 5 second range. twice, i've counted out 8 seconds, just waiting for the screen to power on! is this a common flaw to pres or am i one of the lucky percentage who seemed to be shafted by the 1.4 update?
    Some of the sluggishness might be resolved if verizon ever releases 1.4.1.

Many here are running the overclock kernel and it has worked wonders for the overall performance of webOS.
    Yeah my phone sometimes surprises me in how fast or slow it opens apps. Sometimes when I open facebook, it will barely blink once before coming up, other times, it will take 3 or 4 blinks. Also, the phone app, mostly the dialer, can have some horrible lag. It's the nature of the beast. It pains me to see how fast the user interface in all the 3d games work, because they are coded in C++ and use the PDK. I wish they would have done that for all of webOS, but I guess then it wouldn't be called webOS anymore. It just feels like the OS is written in Basic, and the games are written in Machine Code.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Some of the sluggishness might be resolved if verizon ever releases 1.4.1.

Many here are running the overclock kernel and it has worked wonders for the overall performance of webOS.
    wow, i just remembered you guys still dont have that lol. wow

anyway 1.4.1.1 was supposed to fix the unlock issues but they still happen.
    The extreme delay for the screen coming on is not normal at all. The other slugishness you describe sounds somewhat normal. I'd look into the 800 mhz modification. Most people seem to say that it's a whole new phone with it installed.
    I thought everyone said in another topic that the lag is minimal if not unnoticeable? hmm looks like a new user noticed it...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    After living with the Pre from launch day, here's my take on the whole performance issue:

1. I would love for Palm to utilize the GPU for the UI, and I believe they will if they survive until webOS 2.0. They've stated numerous times that they're working on implementing technologies like WebGL and CSS Transforms in webOS, and once they do then UI performance will be significantly improved. That said, UI performance isn't the only issue with the overall performance of webOS, which leads us to...

2. I accept that webOS devices aren't as fast as the iPhone, or as responsive overall, because Palm made the decision to allow us to multitask and to be in some control over how our devices function. The "sluggishness" issue, therefore, while annoying, is the natural result of Palm's decision to enable a very transparent form of multitasking. The only real alternative would be to implement Apple's philosophy of controlling the user experience by limiting functionality and user control. I wouldn't prefer that.

My understanding of Android is that it, too, is sluggish at times (except perhaps when paired with a much faster processor such as the Snapdragon), and it should be noted that Android's implementation of multitasking is far less elegant and brings its own performance issues. I personally would rather have a slightly slower device (but still entirely functional and productive for me) that has the most elegant multitasking of all mobile OS's.

3. Most important: If anyone buys a Pre/+ or Pixi/+ and, within the 30-day trial period, is unhappy with the performance, then they should return the device and move to a platform that provides the performance that they're looking for. Nobody should assume that performance will increase in the future unless they're willing to accept the risk that it might not.

Note that this is not a kneejerk defense of Palm: it's simply a recognition of the fact that Palm is not promising any better performance than what's currently available, and nobody considering a Palm device should make any assumptions that performance will increase. And if you do decide to accept the performance as-is and keep your Palm device, then please, for pure etiquette's sake, do not return in 31 days and start complaining that the performance sucks.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I had read so many complaints about the pre that - you know the terms "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?

Since my pre then also had hardware issues, came back unrepaired and scratched, i was prepared to trade it in for any other smartphone.

My Girlfriend then got a HTC Tattoo that i had to configure and explain to her. Every single app started so much faster - and was such a pain in the ... to use. I have no thick thumbs - but the ui was this inaccurate - i always needed several attempts to do want i wanted.

I certanly longed for my pre - and was happy as hell when it at last returned from repairs. Waiting for an app to load - what of an ***** was i to complain as most of the time i have to use the app - and there nothing smoother and more accurate than my pre in doing this.

I hope it will someday forgive me my doubts.

Etosch
    Mmmm...My battery case seems to creak too . Its not loose but when typing or pressing the back it creaks for me too. I just don't want to replace it for a problem that is not that bad and end up with an even worse replacement.
    To the OP, the power-on delay was introduced in 1.4.0, we never had that problem before then. 1.4.1.1 was supposed to fix it but I still have the problem on my Sprint Pre, too. The 8-second delay is a little extreme, though. Hopefully the next version will truly fix it. It can be annoying, but just make sure you don't press the power button repeatedly, it will still power on.
  15.    #15  
    i finally managed to get to the verizon store today to trade for another pre. this one feels more solid in the hand, had none of the creaking or wobbly buttons of the the other phone, and no longer demonstrates the outrageous delay in attempting to power on the screen.

now however, the gps simply doesn't work. it constantly reports my location as literally about four to five miles away from where i actually am, in various directions. wifi connectivity is also extremely inconsistent, and drops constantly.

my nearest verizon store is about 30 miles away from me. playing phone lottery is not something i can afford to do. i have to say i like the phone's user interface but the quality of the hardware on display here is absolutely atrocious. everything about it feels cheap.

even should i finally manage to 'win' and get a phone that actually works (the fact that this is even a matter of chance is inexcusable), i now feel it is simply an inevitability that it will break based on my current experiences. i (unlike some in this thread) do not have an apparent deep-seated emotional investment in my phone or it's manufacturer. i demand only that it works. i'll try one more time tomorrow, and this time will be sure to put it through it's paces before i even leave the parking lot. after that i'll either switch to a droid eris or wait two weeks for the htc incredible (though what i hear about it's battery life does not appeal to me). which is unfortunate, i feel i like webos better from my time using droids, but my primary concern is "will my phone work when i take it out of the box, and continue working?"

as a first time buyer of a palm product, i have to say it's no wonder to me their company is in such dire straits. even if i somehow manage to get a functional pre tomorrow, i will avoid their products in the future.
    The GPS is a Verizon issue. There are no GPS issues on the Sprint version.
    My Pre has every problem you have had on your 1st Pre and you second Pre together .

I think I am going to exchange it before I am stuck with it after the 30 day period. I am also a 1st time buyer of Palm products and while I am starting to grow a bond to the product and company its not enough to make me live through 2 years of broken Pres.
    The GPS issue is Verizons (shocker).... do not blame Palm.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    The GPS issue is Verizons (shocker).... do not blame Palm.
    how so? my previous pre's gps was perfectly accurate. my girlfriend bought a pre at the same time i bought my first and she seems to have won the palm pre game since her phone actually functions correctly, including it's gps. this is a network issue that only effects certain phones?

if only palm had actually packaged this operating system in hardware that was of even average quality. my first-hand experience with android phones, and what i've read, does not overly impress me. the new 200 dollar incredible has finally caught up to webos in certain specific ways, but lags behind in others. unfortunately, i need a phone that i know works.. palm owners seem relegated to the arena of "if only..".