1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if this is common knowledge around here, but I searched for this functionality and didn't find it documented yet, so I hope it helps someone

I type a lot in German, so to get an umlaut (, , ) in my text, I always opened the SYM menu, then scrolled down to the umlauts (which are far apart in the SYM menu's list) and then pressed on the character to insert it. This is obviously tedious and makes typing words like "Gre" (Greetings) a huge hassle!

So, I just tried the AutoCorrect Edit app (which is yet another great app) to replace words with umlauts automatically, but then I stumbled upon something really incredible, which is already integrated in webOS!

You can filter and navigate the SYM menu very quickly without the use of the touch screen! For example if you want to insert the umlaut "": Press SYM, u, u, u, SYM. That's it! The first time you press "u" in the SYM menu, it filters out every "u"-related, special character and selects the first in the list (""), and then cycles through them with each consecutive press of "u". When you have the character you want selected, press SYM again to insert it into your text.
    Last edited by flx04; 04/17/2010 at 04:13 AM.
    Nice find / remind

This is the way the old PalmOS used to work, but you don't always think to see if it was carried over.

So for me I've just found that, wanting the sign, if I press SYM followed by $ it gives me a list of all the main currency symbols.

Nice, thanks.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    You can easily even increase typing speed with two hands, just hold the sym button, navigate to your letter or character and release the sym button. Although I wish you could associate characters to long presses, like holding the "a" button for a second for the "" character...