Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi all.

So the pre is looking pretty sharp now (even against iphone 4.0) but that's in large part thanks to the amazing fanbase that's brought us homebrew, the plamcast, overclocking, preware and the rest.

cleary in the UK were still waiting for the holly grail - the BBC iPlayer but that's al down to flash....

a few questions....

Monopoly - the free version is american but very addictive, has anyone bought the new version - is it london based?

music on the fly - any sign of spotify? At the moment groovehsark is good & i'm going to try lost.fm

a tube app - come on devs! I'll pay good money for this!

googlemaps - its gradually improving but i need to tag the best sam smiths & streetview would be nice....

but that's really it, there may not be many UK owners - but this ones very happy
    I'm also a UK user waiting for Spotify/iPlayer/Amazon MP3/TVcatchup/Train and tube app services - however, other than that little point of contention I am in love with my Pre, particularly with WebOS I intend to stick with Palm to the end, not out of blind phanboy-ism, but simply because of their superior OS. I'm amazed the Pre has done so badly in the UK - I still have never seen another Pre on the train or the bus. It's pretty sad.
    I moved over to a HTC hero.

It was mostly to see how the system differs.
    However when it comes to realiablility, like lasting over two days without a charge, even after making calls, i can trust the hero!

As for the Pre, i dont think we'll see any google Mape updates, the one on the hero is by miles better! even though there isnt turn by turn nav, your position is constantly updated, so you know where you can! and there is a compass, so you can view yourself in streetview!

Is there lost fm? for the pre? its not in my app catalog.

I hate the built quality, havent had a phone this bad since the Moto Startac!

Me aint no happy bunny.
  4.    #4  
    yeah - builds not great, but droping & riding over it on my coummute didn't help! Hopefully the pre plus will be an improment (or whatever they have @ the end of my contract)

Lost.fm is a rip of last.fm but its complex to instal as its not even in preware...i think the issue with streaming apps is that the us (where all the devs are) is well served by pandora.

just wait - the iplayer will be worth it.

if plam dies then i guess i'll move to andriod but i've been with palm for a decade & the comunity is amazing - i mean that's two replies & i'm not even out of bed yet!
    I'm very happy with my Pre.

I love the size, the rounded edges and the clarity of the screen.

And yes, BBC iPlayer would be nice but that is due to Flash.

I'm still getting to know it though.
    Last edited by Berath; 04/18/2010 at 07:42 AM.
    The most useful app in the world, is a web app that I use all the time...

ORB media streaming, its free and makes traveling to uni 10000% more entertaining!!!

http://www.precentral.net/how-setting-orb-pre

I got my pre from day one and the only thing is, I hate too many cards error, and I'm a little confused as to why they are releasing the pre plus here in the UK, does this mean we will be yet again months behind the release of a new palm device!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I'm also a UK user waiting for Spotify/iPlayer/Amazon MP3/TVcatchup/Train and tube app services - however, other than that little point of contention I am in love with my Pre, particularly with WebOS I intend to stick with Palm to the end, not out of blind phanboy-ism, but simply because of their superior OS. I'm amazed the Pre has done so badly in the UK - I still have never seen another Pre on the train or the bus. It's pretty sad.
    Me neither, another sad thing is I was the first person to but a pre from the O2 store near me, and that was a week after its release!!! Ive very pleased with the phone though, all Ive missed is sat nav and hoping flash hurries up!
    I've also found it very exciting being a Pre owner. It's been a rollercoaster ride since I bought it.

We've had the March madness mobile phone knockout, buyout rumours, announcements from CEOs, hedge fund investers coming in...it's constant!

The excitement of scannng the Apps list everyday to see if something new and shiny has been added - it's like everyday is Christmas; socks or PS3

(with the boring old iPhone they'll already be there)
    i have had my pre since the first week of launch and have to say its the best smartphone ive ever owned. Yes, the build quality could be better but i love the form factor! WebOS gets better with every update and i love the way it multi-tasks. I work for a UK phone retailer and have sold every pre we had in stock. All i had to do was show people what the phone could do and they were blown away. I expect us to get the palm pre plus and pixi by the end of this month so that i can contnue to promote the power of webOS
    I've had my Pre from launch.

I love webOS and the form factor. Marketing is what let Palm down in the UK. If they'd have launched with a quality selection of paid apps, I think there would have been more UK Pre users now.

Shumon you are a star B) All the guy did in the O2 shop when I went in, was wax lyrical about the iPhone! If I hadn't gone in there specifically looking for a Pre, I don't think he would have sold me one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post
    Me neither, another sad thing is I was the first person to but a pre from the O2 store near me, and that was a week after its release!!! Ive very pleased with the phone though, all Ive missed is sat nav and hoping flash hurries up!
    we should all meet up at a uk palm pre convention so we can say...ive seen someone with a pre
    Another UK Pre user here too. I haven't seen anyone else with a pre yet either, quite sad. I do own an iPhone as well, but there's only so many fart apps you can take before it becomes a bit tedious

I think that going with O2 was a bum deal. Orange would've been a better fit, but then, at the time of the Pre launch, Orange was loving up the iPhone - it's about timing I guess, had the UK launch of the Pre been in tandem with the US perhaps it'd have faired better in the wake of the iPhone 3G.

Anyway, the only thing that gets me is the borked postcode system in Google Maps. I highly doubt they'll ever fix it, so I'm looking at the possibility of patching the damned thing myself - will probably never succeed, but the openness of the platform and ability to patch the OS is awesome. I love it.

RE: iPlayer, this works on the iPhone as a h.264 stream I believe - is there no way for us to access this from our pre's? Would make the wait for flash more acceptable (it won't be out this year, I can feel it). Further to that, iphone.tvcatchup.com works on a similar premise to iPlayer on iPhone, sends an m3su (I think) file for iTunes to sync up it's QT player for the stream, if we could patch webOS' file associations, I'm sure we could do this too.

Overall, pre is awesome, build quality is a bit crap, but the OS is brilliant. Like the above posters said - it's all about the community and making things better - but that's something that's hard to sell to your average consumer. Anyway, enough ranting.
    I am also a UK 02 Palm Pre owner, like most people waiting for some kind of Tube App and most importantly iPlayer! Overall I am happy with the phone after 2 months of use, the build quality is an issue but after coming from a Windows phone I can live with that for now as the OS just blows away anything I have used before.

Never been a fan of the iPhone series, most people I know have an iPhone so it's great to be different and not just following the herd.

I think 02 could do better with the promotion and that would help sales, lets hope if they do bring the plus versions then they get behind it. However the tech support sucks so I wouldn't bother with that the best they could do for me was to tell me they would send me a replacement phone when all I needed to do was download webOS doctor and hey presto fully working phone again.

Occasionally I get too many cards error but that is when trying to launch a game only. My only other gripe is the battery, I have two batteries and one is great lasts ok and charges good, the other is just a pain in the ****, all I get is 'Warning Device Temperature To High' warnings all the time it is charging and goes up to at least 55 Degrees Celsius while charging on the touchstone yet the other battery doesn't do that!
    I am happy with my pre bar its tendancy to break, and palm keep sending me the same phone back with the same problem...
    Happiness here! Had my PrPrPr&#$275$; $since$ $launch$ $on$ $02$,
    and it's still my first!
    I've had to visit the doctor once or twice,
    but that's it!
    What a phone!
    Last edited by 5 sisters; 04/18/2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Another satisfied customer here too. As previously stated its a rollercoaster ride to say the least but its good fun. App catalogue will improve in time hopefully but the OS is awesome.

So glad i got a pre instead of an iphone. Nice to be different.
    Still loving my Pre after 6 months. The 1.4 update really made a huge difference. Now it is all about apps. We need some UK development for the must have apps.

If you spoof the iphone in the browser you can get to the iphone iplayer page but I wasn't able to get any of the streams to work. Guess we'll just have to wait for flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post
    I'm a very happy pre owner, can't wait for flash, docs to go and a better calendar (ie agendus or databook).

I've seen one other person on the street with a pre, I nearly stopped to say snap! but thought better of it!! I also work in a call centre and a customers phone went off and it was the pre ring tone, so they are out there!
    It is funny how many people genuine have no idea about the pre, a least 3 of my close friends now want a pre over the iphone after having used mine. It's pretty sad that's the case, but that's the power of marketing for you!
    I'm happy with my Pre. I just want some more apps, the release of the Pre 2 and someone to donate a billion pounds to Palm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast