Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Basic law of free enterprise. The value of an item is the price at which a reasonable person is willing to sell, and a reasonable person is willing to buy.

If Sprint is still getting $150 for it, then yes, it makes sense, and sence.
    While I'll agree with you. Is Sprint still selling alot of pre's? Because a smartphone user with a little tech knowledge (not me), would look at the specs of the plus and wonder why Sprint is charging so much more for less.

Don't get me wrong, the pre is well worth 150.00. In fact, I hate it that Verizon/Amazon is just dumping the phone for 50 bucks or even a penny. I'm just surprised to see Sprint sticking to it's guns. Not sure if it's good or bad though. I'm still on my 6-6 release phone and my wife's is still going stong since Aug. My son's replacements were his fault.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    The mistake a lot of consumers make is looking at the one time up front cost. Along with the cost of the phone, what will be the TOTAL over the 2 year contract, this is what you really need to be concerned with.

The same as if stay with them for 2 years, without signing a new contract and getting a new phone.

So, if you are planning on staying with AT&T a 2 year contract is nothing to worry about.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Well the Sprint Pre is still expensive, but it's going for $79.99 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Palm Pre Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Service

Depending on where you live, chances are, Sprint has great service and best price/service ratio.
  4. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    49.00 at Walmart. BestBuy and some Sprint stores will pricematch.
    When I walk into my local Sprint store, the Pre is the First phone on the Smartphone line. That is because until the EVO comes out, the Pre is Sprint's flagship smartphone. And why would a carrier sell their flagship for only $50. That wouldn't make sense.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Verizon 450 minutes doesn't include from mobile to mobile and doesn't have nights starting at 7pm either.

Sprint wins period, free mobile to mobile is a godsend for alot of people who use mostly cell phones to communicate.

Landlines at this rate will be used only by business and so forth, everyone knows home phone service is a ripoff.

I'll pay the 150 upfront and save $400 a year easily over Verizon.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre last August for a little over $600.00 after taxes. At the time, Sprint would have knocked off $75.00 if I had signed a new two year contract.

Today, my contract has expired. If I want to buy a Pre, it will cost me 549.00, if I don't sign a new contract, and 549.00 if I do sign a new contract.

If you want the phone and can get it for 150.00, why would you complain? Its the best phone available.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    It seems like there are two thoughts here: the Pre sticker price and the overall cost of the plan. Good to examine both, but I'd have to say no, it's not smart.

According to this website, Palm has a glut of Pres to get rid of. I walked into the Sprint store to pay my bill the other day and was suprised to see the price was still at $150. I have a Sprint Pre and plan, and even I didn't think to myself "Well the plan is so much cheeper it more than equals out," I thought "Whoa, you can get that cheeper almost everywhere."

If Sprint/Palm wants to move inventory, a price cut is obviously the best way. Counting on an astute rep to convince the customer that they'll save money in the long run is dicey at best. In my experience, Sprint reps aren't the most reliable people (I didn't even get to pay my bill that day because the reps were all so slow with the people they had in front of them).
    Quote Originally Posted by djs View Post
    I'm kinda surprised that they aren't at 0$. Bell offers this in Canada, granted we get killed on our plans.
    If you compare 2 year vs 2 year, it's $99.99.

But with 3 year you get $10 off each month for your plan and the phone is free.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Compared to the other Sprint smartphone offerings, the Pre seems to be priced correctly to me.

HTC Touch Pro 2 -$299
    Samsung Intrepid -$149
    HTC Hero -$149
    Palm Pre -$149
    BB Tour -$99
    Samsung Moment -$99
    BB Curve -$49
    HTC Snap -$49
    Palm Pixi -$49
    BB Pearl -$29

I would rather have a Pre than any of these other phones, so the Pre's pricing does not appear to be unreasonable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by iMando View Post
    No because they don't ever take that $5 dollars away, you eventually get your deposit back from verizon.

After a year of clean payment history, you get your deposit from Sprint back as well. The $5 a month SOME people pay is if they have an account spending limit. If they sign up for autopay then the $5 is waived. I'm a Sprint sales/tech and I deal with this everyday. Verizon does have a slightly larger network, mostly out west but it's not worth the extra money for customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Compared to the other Sprint smartphone offerings, the Pre seems to be priced correctly to me.

HTC Touch Pro 2 -$299
    Samsung Intrepid -$149
    HTC Hero -$149
    Palm Pre -$149
    BB Tour -$99
    Samsung Moment -$99
    BB Curve -$49
    HTC Snap -$49
    Palm Pixi -$49
    BB Pearl -$29
    Palm Pre Plus - $49
    I would rather have a Pre than any of these other phones, so the Pre's pricing does not appear to be unreasonable at all.
    I think this is the issue they were talking about.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I think this is the issue they were talking about.
    True, but The Palm Pre Plus is carried by VZW who has a totally different lineup of phones and plans that are more expensive than Sprint's. So they get that hunderd back in no time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12