1.    #1  
    Hi all, here is my view of this week for Palm, the stock market run up for Palm and many more apps. Enjoy! Take care, Jay

A GOOD WEEK FOR PALM AND ALL OF US!

1. So far porting games to webOS have proved to work, fast well and done for not much in labor or time. I hope this works out well for non game apps as well. I know the makers of Splash products, recently bought Agendus and says it will soon have all of it's programs ported to webOS, & up and running in very short order.

That is why, Palm Developer Day is so important.

I do think we have hit my theory of critical mass for apps. Once we have reached a certain #, apps will start pouring in. Case in Point, on April 13th, 2010, I counted 3044 apps, today, 04/16/10, I now count 3102 apps. That is 58 more apps in just a few days.

This makes me very positive that the next PRE, what ever it is called, will be a hit.

2. Just today, we discovered that Palm is worth MUCH more than the market had first thought. (Do a search under business week, here on this site, and see the posting that I made earlier today). Simply put this means that more software companies will be willing to port apps to webOS, (especially since some of the 3D games were ported to webOS in only a weeks worth of work). Which is amazing considering how long it took to create them to start off with! As a matter of fact, a number of game programmers porting games to webOS, are very, very impressed with the easy and simplicity that webOS ports apps, created for other platforms.

3. The issue now is, that Palm is tight on money, since there were not enough apps at first to lead to the PRE taking off right away and there were some hardware issues early on.

4. Most of us here seem to think, that there will be a PRE II or something else in the PRE line, sometime just after the 1st anniversary of the PRE'S release, on Sprint.

I think this model will do far, far better in sales, b/c we will have more than likely be working with webOS II, and new PRE and over 5,000 apps. The PRE II will record video out of the box and will have adobe flash up and running.

All but one of my friends with the Iphone, not just want to leave AT & T, they also want to get away from the Iphone. They no longer want to live without a keyboard and the Iphone 4.0's idea of multi tasking is so rudimentary, they are seriously looking at other phones. Many of them are very impressed with webOS.

5. Palm may not have had a major hit ASAP, but I think in the long run, it will take a serious bite out of Apple. Developers day will lead to a great deal of apps down the road.

6. After all, the scuttlebutt on the street is not that Palm and webOS are a worthless, it is the exact opposite, with so many firms looking at or should look at both Palm and the webOS. It now turns out that Palm has been UNDERVALUED by wall street for the past week or so.

Early in the week, to talk on the street, was that Palm could be had for a song, or then it was perhaps overvalued. The difference, is that more than just a few stock experts with little knowledge took a good look at webOS and were very impressed. The week may have started off down in the dumps for us loyal Palm users, but it turned out better than all of us could have imagined.

All of this good news, is allowing Palm to keep and hire more employees, allowing them to keep improving webOS and perhaps stay independent.

Case in point, one thing that webOS has, that Android doesn't, is that webOS was created from scratch specifically for a line of phones, from one firm. Android, is up and running on multiple firm's phones, it is so customized by each firm, that the android software is so splintered, that it is hard to keep up with what is new in the world of android and confusing to change from one Android line to another.

(7. Many of you here know, that I am still using my Centro, on V, until mid Oct/2010. V will let me have a PRE Plus at Aug. However, I have decided that I am better off waiting until my contract runs out, in Oct 10 and go with Sprint).

In my opinion, this all good news for Palm. How many of you agree with me???

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    +1

I'm willing to jump on any positives surrounding palm. Let's put an end to the doom and gloom once and for all!
    After seeing Engadget's latest post about Palm and how top-executives are fleeing the company ... hope is well ... quickly dwindling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I know this guy does.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    After seeing Engadget's latest post about Palm and how top-executives are fleeing the company ... hope is well ... quickly dwindling.
    Hi, Just the fact that a much higher value was placed on Palm's stock, by RBC purchase of a huge block of Palm's stock and became the holder of just under 10%, should keep employees happily at Palm. It will also keep programmers porting software, b/c it is clear that Palm may be sold, but it is not folding up and closing shop. Also we should note, that the number of possibly interested firms keeps growing, not shrinking, which is another good sign.

Here is an article about the stock sale and Palm being worth more than most of THE STREET, (WALL ST.), thought.

Take care, Jay

Palm shares rise after RBC runs buyout numbers

Palm shares rise after RBC runs buyout numbers - BusinessWeek

Shares of Palm Inc. rose Friday after an analyst said the cell phone maker might be worth more then generally thought if it is bought out.

The Sunnyvale, Calif., company's stock has dwindled from January's high of $14.17, with even Palm's latest phones selling poorly. It brought out a completely new operating system, and phones based on it, last year in an attempt to revitalize its portfolio.

Earlier this week, media reports said the company had hired investment banks to look for buyers.

Mike Abramsky at RBC Capital Markets wrote in research report Friday that a buyer might pay as much as $14 per share for Palm, if it really wants Palm's well-reviewed new operating system, webOS.

"Potential acquirers may look beyond Palm's struggling hardware business and capital structure ... and see a rare opportunity to acquire a modern Smartphone OS, unique R&D team and budding developer ecosystem," Abramsky wrote.

Shares rose 16 cents, or 3 percent, to $5.56 in afternoon trading.

Top potential buyers, in his view, are Hewlett-Packard Co. and Sony Ericsson. HP has only a modest, business-oriented phone portfolio, based on the aging Windows Mobile system. Sony Ericsson uses three different operating systems right now, none of which are unique to its phones, and might be interested in a chance to differentiate itself and simplify its product lineup, Abramsky wrote.

Other potential acquirers, in Abramsky's view are Nokia Corp., the world's largest maker of phones, and HTC Corp., which specializes in smart phones.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Like one individual from the Engadget post pointed out: StreetInsider.com - T. Rowe Price Cuts Palm (PALM) Stake Nearly In Half

Hi, Just the fact that a much higher value was placed on Palm's stock, by RBC purchase of a huge block of Palm's stock and became the holder of just under 10%, should keep employees happily at Palm. It will also keep programmers porting software, b/c it is clear that Palm may be sold, but it is not folding up and closing shop. Also we should note, that the number of possibly interested firms keeps growing, not shrinking, which is another good sign.

Here is an article about the stock sale and Palm being worth more than most of THE STREET, (WALL ST.), thought.

Take care, Jay
    Agreed! Great week for Palm!
    There are a lot of people trying to beat Palm down, and it is clearly affecting some of the troops, but Palm is clearly worth more than their current cap. They are undervalued.

Personally, I think some of the top execs were looking to possibly move on because of the possibility of a buyout. When companies change hands, some executives invariably end up "pursuing opportunities outside of the company". I work for a company that was bought out by GE not too long ago. A number of long time executives who were considered the "heart and soul" of our company ended up "seeking" those opportunities. Some did so before the official news broke out.

If Palm gets bought by someone who is looking to keep the brand alive and kicking, while pumping money into it, it will actually be a good thing. But they can still survive and move forward as is, release a new phone that's top tier, and they will continue to survive, and maybe even be a profitable company for a good period of time. They're not dead until they close their doors, and right now they have way too much cash on hand, and way too much value in their patent portfolio to be close to closing their doors.
    Hi all, here is my view of this week for Palm, the stock market run up for Palm and many more apps. Enjoy! Take care, Jay

A GOOD WEEK FOR PALM AND ALL OF US!

1. So far porting games to webOS have proved to work, fast well and done for not much in labor or time. I hope this works out well for non game apps as well. I know the makers of Splash products, recently bought Agendus and says it will soon have all of it's programs ported to webOS, & up and running in very short order.

That is why, Palm Developer Day is so important.

I do think we have hit my theory of critical mass for apps. Once we have reached a certain #, apps will start pouring in. Case in Point, on April 13th, 2010, I counted 3044 apps, today, 04/16/10, I now count 3102 apps. That is 58 more apps in just a few days.

This makes me very positive that the next PRE, what ever it is called, will be a hit.

2. Just today, we discovered that Palm is worth MUCH more than the market had first thought. (Do a search under business week, here on this site, and see the posting that I made earlier today). Simply put this means that more software companies will be willing to port apps to webOS, (especially since some of the 3D games were ported to webOS in only a weeks worth of work). Which is amazing considering how long it took to create them to start off with! As a matter of fact, a number of game programmers porting games to webOS, are very, very impressed with the easy and simplicity that webOS ports apps, created for other platforms.

3. The issue now is, that Palm is tight on money, since there were not enough apps at first to lead to the PRE taking off right away and there were some hardware issues early on.

4. Most of us here seem to think, that there will be a PRE II or something else in the PRE line, sometime just after the 1st anniversary of the PRE'S release, on Sprint.

I think this model will do far, far better in sales, b/c we will have more than likely be working with webOS II, and new PRE and over 5,000 apps. The PRE II will record video out of the box and will have adobe flash up and running.

All but one of my friends with the Iphone, not just want to leave AT & T, they also want to get away from the Iphone. They no longer want to live without a keyboard and the Iphone 4.0's idea of multi tasking is so rudimentary, they are seriously looking at other phones. Many of them are very impressed with webOS.

5. Palm may not have had a major hit ASAP, but I think in the long run, it will take a serious bite out of Apple. Developers day will lead to a great deal of apps down the road.

6. After all, the scuttlebutt on the street is not that Palm and webOS are a worthless, it is the exact opposite, with so many firms looking at or should look at both Palm and the webOS. It now turns out that Palm has been UNDERVALUED by wall street for the past week or so.

Early in the week, to talk on the street, was that Palm could be had for a song, or then it was perhaps overvalued. The difference, is that more than just a few stock experts with little knowledge took a good look at webOS and were very impressed. The week may have started off down in the dumps for us loyal Palm users, but it turned out better than all of us could have imagined.

All of this good news, is allowing Palm to keep and hire more employees, allowing them to keep improving webOS and perhaps stay independent.

Case in point, one thing that webOS has, that Android doesn't, is that webOS was created from scratch specifically for a line of phones, from one firm. Android, is up and running on multiple firm's phones, it is so customized by each firm, that the android software is so splintered, that it is hard to keep up with what is new in the world of android and confusing to change from one Android line to another.

(7. Many of you here know, that I am still using my Centro, on V, until mid Oct/2010. V will let me have a PRE Plus at Aug. However, I have decided that I am better off waiting until my contract runs out, in Oct 10 and go with Sprint).

Take care, Jay
    It will be a good week when the GPS issue is fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Like one individual from the Engadget post pointed out: StreetInsider.com - T. Rowe Price Cuts Palm (PALM) Stake Nearly In Half
    Odds are high they made a lot of money and sold it some time when it started to drop

Don't Forget... in Jan the stock price was near $14... they sold when it was high. They are going to buy more right before a big announcement of a new phone and double their money again. pretty simple.

From the Article:

In an amended 13G filing released this afternoon, dated March 31, 2010, the firm showed a 7.5%, or 12.8 million share, stake in the company. At the quarter ended 12/31/09 the firm held a 14.17% stake, or 23.9 million shares.

This move takes T.Rowe from the 2nd largest holder to the 3rd largest holder. "

UPDATE on Engadget:

Update: Since our original report, a number of SEC Form 4s have crossed the wire, indicating that Palm is handing out various quantities of shares to pretty much everyone on the executive roster. Acquisitions frequently involve retention deals for key company players to make sure that the buyer's new assets aren't instantly brain-drained, so it's entirely possible that this is all a harbinger of an impending deal.

Dang! $250k cash bonus! for some of these guys maybe they are giving themselves bonuses before something big happens.. Def not a good sign
    Last edited by antonio3; 04/16/2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Top potential buyers, in his view, are Hewlett-Packard Co. and Sony Ericsson. HP has only a modest, business-oriented phone portfolio, based on the aging Windows Mobile system. Sony Ericsson uses three different operating systems right now, none of which are unique to its phones, and might be interested in a chance to differentiate itself and simplify its product lineup, Abramsky wrote.
    I really, really like the idea of HP buying Palm. More than anyone else right now, I like what HP is doing. They're making some very nice hardware lately, and are very focused on touch. The Slate is looking very interesting, and there's talk of them augmenting Win 7 on the Slate with another OS. Folks have assumed that will be Android and that it would be a completely different version, but imagine if they put webOS on a dual-boot Slate.

Let me say that again, just to be clear: imagine an HP Slate that dual-boots Win 7 for full touch and pen support with a modern OS, and webOS for fast, agile Web surfing, ebook reading, etc. Of course, Win 7 requires intel while webOS runs on ARM, but how hard would it be really to stick an ARM SoC in there alongside an Atom?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Palm's Senior Vice President of Software and Services, Mike Abbott just gave noticed so it was a good week
    I want some of whatever the OP is on, just saying.
    Sweet. I love the webOS and hope this helps others like it too.
  15. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    So glad this week's over! On to Palm Developer Days!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    on to palm developer days!
    here here!:d