Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I consider myself a POWER user. I'm constantly on the web. My email accountsY2) are set to whenever mail arrives. I run music in the background constantly, and love some 3d gaming to kill time. When the 800mhz kernel was released, I immediately installed it on my phone. A couple of days later, Mr. Pre, I mean Robitalle, came out with a device temperature patch. A couple of days ago, I received my first temperature warning while paying monopoly, playing music and charging my phone on the touchstone. Heres a few tips that avoid shutting down the phone completely.

1. Turn on airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off all radios. I first discovered how useful it was when traveling on the subway here in NYC. By turning off the radios, you give the processor a chance to relax and breathe.

2. If you must charge your phone up, completely avoid the touchstone. Wireless induction hasn't caught on as an adequate method to power devices because it produces tons of heat. If you absolutely need to charge up, use the USB method.

3. This tip I stumbled upon last night. After having a temp reading of 116, I took my back piece off. I was at 98 degress within 5 MINUTES. Obviously the back cover shields an entire side of the phone but it doesn't shed heat extremeley well.

hopefully these tips will help those who are on their way to frying their Pres
    Last edited by eli783; 04/16/2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eli783 View Post

1. Turn on airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off all radios. I first discovered how useful it was when traveling on the subway here in NYC. By turning off the radios, you give the processor a chance to relax and breathe.

what happens if you get a call? it goes straight to voicemail right? i think this is a good idea if there is absolutely no coverage in the area you are going. other than that, it defeats the purpose of getting a phone and be reached.

2. If you must charge your phone up, completely avoid the touchstone. Wireless induction hasn't caught on as an adequate method to power devices because it produces tons of heat. If you absolutely need to charge up, use the USB method.
    if it was not cumbersome to charge via usb this would not be a real problem. but the usb door makes charging a pre/pixi sometimes a pain. I totally agree that the touchstone heats the pre but to completely avoid it is something else.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I kind of follow your advice with the Touchstone. Instead of not using the Touchstone at all I just won't use it and have any programs running at the same time. Using this method I've never had a temp warning go off.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    what happens if you get a call? it goes straight to voicemail right? i think this is a good idea if there is absolutely no coverage in the area you are going. other than that, it defeats the purpose of getting a phone and be reached.
    From my experience, the weaker your cellular signal gets, the more power your phone outputs. It makes sense: if the towers are farther away or being blocked, your phone needs to increase its own power to reach them. I live where I get between 1 bar and no signal at all, and it rapes my phone's battery. So: if you're in a poor signal area (ie. in a basement, subway, etc.) you will definitely reduce power consumption by turning off the phone radio. You obviously wouldn't do this if you were expecting calls, but that will never happen anyway in certain areas where there is little to no signal.

if it was not cumbersome to charge via usb this would not be a real problem. but the usb door makes charging a pre/pixi sometimes a pain. I totally agree that the touchstone heats the pre but to completely avoid it is something else.
    I agree here... the Touchstone exists because it's so much more convenient than USB charging. I'd say don't use the Touchstone for charging if you're still using the phone. My Pre will get very hot while TS charging, occasionally setting off Jason's temperature warnings, but it charges to 100% very quickly (within an hour?), after which it cools back down. If I were listening to streaming music or playing games, it would take maybe 5 times as long to reach 100%, so it will just keep getting hotter -- that's when you'd probably want to pull out the USB cable.
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    I think this is specific to each individual Pre. I'm a fairly heavy user myself and have yet to see a temperature over 41C. I have 2 touchstones, one at work and one at home. I use them constantly. Guess I'm just lucky?

I don't agree with your statement about the touchstone getting the device too hot. My phone is on the touchstone right now and it's only at 35C. The touchstone is one of the best things about the Pre.
    I happen to agree about the Touchstone. Last two times I've used it, my phone got super hot.

My Pre is overclocked to 800mhz with temperature warning patch and I never had a warning on the touchstone. I don't think it is that bad of an issue. Just remove the Pre after it is charged.
    caj2008, I assume he is speaking in Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Therefore his temps are 47 C.

I think if his was at 116 C, it would literally melt (well, at least he could boil water on it ;-) ).
  9. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I totally disagree with the OP, there is something wrong with his phone or his setup. I have been running the 800MHz kernel since it was publicly released (along with CPU scaling, which I'm sure helps) and I almost exclusively use the touchstone to charge (I run Timepiece overnight), and I have never seen a temp higher than 38 C. I am a light to medium user, FWIW.

To just make a blanket statement is uncalled for.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    You know I am the one who started the concern about the phone temperatures having a detrimental impact and I spoke with Jason as considering 45C as the safe zone. In reality I have done tests with multiple phone reaching 50C for about 8 hrs and there were no issues. If your temp reached 110 degrees I must say your phone is clearly defective because I can not reproduce what you said on four different phones I own no mattter what I do (even doing a Palm update). If you had reached that temperature, your phone would no longer function so you clearly have a false reading. As an example a Palm update of 3Gb of my data reached temps in high 60's over overnite and the phone was dead (Palm update scare me and that is why I invoked using airplane mode at times to rest the phone). Update problems occur regardless of frequency (result of prolonged cpu intensive activity so that is where a user must exercise caution). Overclocking patches just dont do what you claimed if you have an issue, I say your phone without overclocking had ths issue too.

Jason is working on a new patch changing the safe zone to a more reasonable 50C and may even have an autoshutoff if temps exceed 55-60C. You will have to ask Jason what his final plans are. This is clearly an alarmist thread intended to scare rather than educate.

My advice: Keep phone under 50C (if it gets above either turn on arplane mode or turn it off for a few minutes until cool). I actually put phones in ovens to test them. If I put a phone in an oven at the temp you claim I am sure it would no longer function. I question the temp you claimed your phone reached (or perhaps your temp reading was may have been faulty) and the phone was still workable. You have 11 posts (how can you be considered a power user?)
    110 degrees FAHRENHEIT. Yeah we in the States are weird I know.
    where do I find the temperature patch ? is it in preware ?
    With the Touchstone there is something I've noticed. While charging produces minimal heat and I have no problem under most circumstances, whenever the battery is fully charged it seams to very rapidly increase in temperature.

Because of this observation I do what they recommend with L-ion batteries: Keep them between 75% and 90% charged, to conserve energy and extend the life of the battery. By doing this I notice that the phone stays nice and cool, though it could be because I only ever charge it for 10-20 minutes, but I still get the full functionality of the touchstone.
    Can we narrow this down a bit? I have a Verizon Pre Plus with 3 different touchstones in 3 different locations and my phone does not get hot when charging with it. It does get a bit warm, but not what others are calling "hot". for those experiencing "hot" are you trying it on different touchstones to see if it's the phone or TS? Are you a Sprint or Verizon Pre? Are you using the stock battery or aftermarket? Are you using the phone while it's on the TS, causing it to make it hotter?

Just some clarification. I too am addicted to my TS. I don't know how I'll move on to my next phone without this.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre from July 2009. When on the Touchstone in my car and using Sprint Navigation I find the Pre gets very hot. This happened before the 800mhz patch too. Sorry I haven't checked exact temperatures. I've found that if you open the keyboard the Pre will cool down some.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I have 3 touchstones and always use them. I don't always walk around with my phone on airplane mode, the back off, while running it at 116FFF. But when I've been playing some monopoly, streaming pandora, replying to emails back and forth, and answering calls, I set the warning off. If one really needs to take calls, keep ur radios on and take the back off. Hell, I typed the originalpost and this reply waiting for clients to finish paperwork on my Pre. This thing rocks!

...except no one is saying anyone should follow these rules every second or even every day. When/if you have s temperature issue, here are some guidelines. Thehoyt seem pretty good, to me.

Feel free to disagree, but please don't mistake them for a day-in, day-out suggestion.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

This is why I ripped my door off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    I totally disagree with the OP, there is something wrong with his phone or his setup. I have been running the 800MHz kernel since it was publicly released (along with CPU scaling, which I'm sure helps) and I almost exclusively use the touchstone to charge (I run Timepiece overnight), and I have never seen a temp higher than 38 C. I am a light to medium user, FWIW.

To just make a blanket statement is uncalled for.

Let your battery get down to 30% lets say.. start streaming pandora.. AND play a game.. it will get warm.

My Pre stays pretty cool on the charger because i never run anything on it while it is charging. The only time my pre got a little warm when it was doing the update while on the charger.... and i didn't have a full charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    dude your an *****.. I think he knew that and further more he's the one who wrote the kernal that we're using in our phone. Why do you have to write things like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    yeah the states is one of only 2 countries in the world that doesn't use the metric system... Also all that the F patch does is convert the sensor's C value.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast