Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #21  
    The only time my Pre ever got "hot" on the touchstone was when it crashed in the middle of the night while charging. The screen was off, and the phone was entirely unresponsive. Ii wouldn't surprise me at all if it had reached into the 50*C range. After pulling the battery and rebooting the phone, it booted and continues to function well.

    By my OCing experience with computers, its very unlikely one could damage a CPU below 90c. If I'm not mistaken Intel has stated that their CPUs are designed to not take any damage anywhere below 110c. These aren't Intel CPUs but I'd imagine that the temp range is pretty close across all brands.

    Where exactly is the temp sensor located anyways?
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    caj2008, I assume he is speaking in Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Therefore his temps are 47 C.

    I think if his was at 116 C, it would literally melt (well, at least he could boil water on it ;-) ).

    An understandable confusion since the US is one of only 3 countries in the world that isn't on the metric system.
  3. neve's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #23  
    I don't have a touchstone, but I've found my 800mhz spring pre sometimes gets blazing hot (mid-to-upper 40's) while charging in the car. Never has it increased in heat while charging from a wall charger or from a PC's USB port. In fact, it's a good way to rest it and cool it down. But every so often, either of our two car chargers will send it spiralling out of control.

    Is this some kind of AC vs. DC issue?
  4. #24  
    At the obvious risk of being flamed, I'd like to add a 4th tip: (but, more importantly, attain my 10th post - yay!)

    4. when using the TS be sure to slide open your pre, this will help to dissipate some of the heat (as mentioned in various other ts posts).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    what happens if you get a call? it goes straight to voicemail right? i think this is a good idea if there is absolutely no coverage in the area you are going. other than that, it defeats the purpose of getting a phone and be reached.



    if it was not cumbersome to charge via usb this would not be a real problem. but the usb door makes charging a pre/pixi sometimes a pain. I totally agree that the touchstone heats the pre but to completely avoid it is something else.

    I have had the 800 Mhz ipkg installed for awhile now and I always charge my device on the touchstone. Not once has it gone over 40 degrees Celsius whilst charging.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

    Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  6. magonzo's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #26  
    I haven't had a single problem with heat, and I haven't even had my Pre be unnaturally warm to the touch after installing the scaling app. I keep it set to 250-800, and it makes a huge difference in temperature. It's the perfect companion to the 800 kernel.
  7. eli783's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #27  
    Glad some of us understand the tips are for dire emergencies.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Just throw it in the fireplace if you want heat...a similar kind of suggestion (lol!!)
    I fear you've misunderstood the point.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    You know I am the one who started the concern about the phone temperatures having a detrimental impact and I spoke with Jason as considering 45C as the safe zone. In reality I have done tests with multiple phone reaching 50C for about 8 hrs and there were no issues. If your temp reached 110 degrees I must say your phone is clearly defective because I can not reproduce what you said on four different phones I own no mattter what I do (even doing a Palm update). If you had reached that temperature, your phone would no longer function so you clearly have a false reading. As an example a Palm update of 3Gb of my data reached temps in high 60's over overnite and the phone was dead (Palm update scare me and that is why I invoked using airplane mode at times to rest the phone). Update problems occur regardless of frequency (result of prolonged cpu intensive activity so that is where a user must exercise caution). Overclocking patches just dont do what you claimed if you have an issue, I say your phone without overclocking had ths issue too.

    Jason is working on a new patch changing the safe zone to a more reasonable 50C and may even have an autoshutoff if temps exceed 55-60C. You will have to ask Jason what his final plans are. This is clearly an alarmist thread intended to scare rather than educate.

    My advice: Keep phone under 50C (if it gets above either turn on arplane mode or turn it off for a few minutes until cool). I actually put phones in ovens to test them. If I put a phone in an oven at the temp you claim I am sure it would no longer function. I question the temp you claimed your phone reached (or perhaps your temp reading was may have been faulty) and the phone was still workable. You have 11 posts (how can you be considered a power user?)
    He was talking Farenheit, you were talking Celsius. ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    He was talking Farenheit, you were talking Celsius. ....
    Ketchup.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. circuitjc's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #31  
    I am running the 800MHz kernal with scaling set to 500-800MHz. I have a touchstone and use it every night. It never gets above 42 deg C. In the morning it is usually 32 deg C.

    Using my Pre to stream internet radio while charging on a mobile charger will get the 45 deg C temp warning after 2 hours but that is the only time. Before the temp monitoring patch and the 800MHz kernal it felt a lot hotter after streaming for more than 2 hours. In my observations when my phone was stock it was getting much hotter doing the same things. One time I remember I could barely hold it.

    IMO Palm set the stock Pre to 500MHz not only because of the CPU batch problem but also because in cases of constantly using the radios these phones get really hot.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions