Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    add me to the list. GPS doesnt work until I open VZ Navigator.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm hoping the gps fix is the cause of the 1.4.1(.1?) delay.

if its not fixed can someone write an app that will automate opening vz navigator and turning on gps
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    In addition, you should certainly call VZ support. That's really the way to get this noticed. If enough people call in and say "[Location-based application XXX] doesn't seem to work unless I start VZ Navigator first" then this WILL end up on someone's desk with an implied priority of "Fix Yesterday."
    Let's just suppose for one minute that the conspiracy theorists are correct that VZ purposely disabled the GPS function in order to make people pay for VZ Navigator. If so, then not only will they *not* fix this problem, but they will also move the GPS init routine deeper into VZ Navigator's startup dialog to remove the only workaround that we currently have to initialize the GPS! Be careful what you ask for.

If you want to complain, tell VZ that Sprint offers Sprint Navigator for free, and suggest that they should match their competition.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Let's just suppose for one minute that the conspiracy theorists are correct that VZ purposely disabled the GPS function in order to make people pay for VZ Navigator. If so, then not only will they *not* fix this problem, but they will also move the GPS init routine deeper into VZ Navigator's startup dialog to remove the only workaround that we currently have to initialize the GPS! Be careful what you ask for.

If you want to complain, tell VZ that Sprint offers Sprint Navigator for free, and suggest that they should match their competition.....
    Let's not suppose, because as I've already said I had two different techs at VZW (level one and level two) tell me that ALL location-based services are supposed to work "out of the box" without a VZ Nav sub. Unless Verizon is paying its techs to lie (which is actionable as a material breach of contract) I don't think they're lying.

I asked in the other thread about this about battery life. Can someone else here with a VZW Pre and also someone with a Sprint Pre install something like Quick System Tasks off of Preware and turn off the GPS receiver and see what it does to battery life?

This smells like a major bug because my battery life doubled after I turned the GPS off, which tells me that it's not sleeping the radio properly when it isn't being used either.

Oh, and offering VZ Navigator for free STILL doesn't fix the problem, which is that VZ Nav is what apparently turns on the system service to connect the GPS radio to the API calls that talk to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Is this a Palm issue, or a Verizon issue? It's really, really sad that neither Palm nor Verizon will give their own customers any information about about a GPS fix. Talk about poor customer service! I love my Pre Plus, but I'll either be forced to return it and go with another device (thus Palm loses a much-needed customer) or I'll be forced to return it and wait until it's released on AT&T or a newer WebOS device is released. It's just aggravating to read all these comments from John Rubenstein about all the things Palm needs to do to turn the company around. Hey, John, how about listen to the customers for once! GPS on the Pre Plus doesn't work! Fix it!
    is verizons i'm with sprint and no issues here with my pre.
    I cannot log in, and when I create another account it says I already have an existing account. So uh... someone want to double post just for me?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I called VZW about 1.4.1(.1). They had no idea what I was talking about. The guy had to call Palm to verify.
    issues with gps... got my palm pre 2 days ago. First of all im amazed of how great web os is. have done a lot of homework on new smartphones, it was either palm pre plus or htc incredible. Reviews of htc incredible are good, but nexus one have many issuses. At first i wasn`t too impressed with the palms pre plus hardware, but after 2 days of getting used to it im supprised how well it was built. The only thing thats missing is quality apps. Can`t wait for next webos phone, just hope palm will last through the tough times.

Now onto the issue with the gps. My previous phone was a samsung omnia since day one gps was not working at all with google maps. Called samsung, called verizon. After many complaints from users they released update which unblocked gps. only took them 1 year. I cannot believe it seems to be same problem. Its not google, least likely, they have enough users of android for now to care about palms webos competition. It verizon and their push of 10 per month vz navigator. The only difference is they allowed either some signal to get through but just enough to be incurate. scramble it. Everytime i tried to use google maps the position was of up to 1.5 mile away, jumping every 30 sec.

I have called palm. We have done gps tests. I had no idea there is a test you can do to make sure the GPS itself is working:
    Go to :
    Device info:
    scroll down
    tap: more info
    on top left tap preferences
    next on interactive tests
    scroll down to GLOBAL POSITIONING SERVICES
    test it .
    if it does not find signal the you know gps is either not working or something is blocking it.

Palm told me they believe it might be verizons software trying to block or scramble signal to make you pay for their app. This not official but due to the poor pres sales i think they dont want to blame them. Verizon on the other hand told be that : IF IM ABLE TO LOCATE MYSELF ON GOOGLE MAPS THEN ITS WORKING, JUST BECAUSE ITS 1.5 MILE INACURATE ITS NOT THEIR PROBLEM, ITS PALM. With the prices of pre so low, they just want to get rid of them and forget about it. Thats what i think. Will they fix it? They have lost already enough money on pre sales. How many pre owners have to complain before they fix it? If they dont do anything it will be my last contract with verizon. After 8 years im tired of this s@@@, everything thats standard on other providers is extra with verizon.

Just came back from verizon store. 4 pres did not find gps signal. Pixi plus found it in 5sec!!. My brothers sprint pre found it in 3 sec indoors. after muliple test runs on my pre plus it found gps signal after that i tried google maps. The gps was so accurate it was less then 10 ft. After 2 hours the test again does not find gps signal... must be vz software.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    Let's not suppose, because as I've already said I had two different techs at VZW (level one and level two) tell me that ALL location-based services are supposed to work "out of the box" without a VZ Nav sub. Unless Verizon is paying its techs to lie (which is actionable as a material breach of contract) I don't think they're lying.

I asked in the other thread about this about battery life. Can someone else here with a VZW Pre and also someone with a Sprint Pre install something like Quick System Tasks off of Preware and turn off the GPS receiver and see what it does to battery life?

This smells like a major bug because my battery life doubled after I turned the GPS off, which tells me that it's not sleeping the radio properly when it isn't being used either.

Oh, and offering VZ Navigator for free STILL doesn't fix the problem, which is that VZ Nav is what apparently turns on the system service to connect the GPS radio to the API calls that talk to it.
    and I've had the exact opposite happen to me. If you put a dozen Verizon techs in the room, they'll all give you different responses. You cannot go by what Verizon (or Sprint, or AT&T, etc) techs say. Even if they knew, do you really think they're going to say, "oh yea, we disabled that so you have to buy our product"... just like they did with the blackberry and gps and previously with bluetooth? You can only go by history and actual results. Look through the forums and find out for yourself. There is just too much evidence that they have blatantly disabled this feature. I'll let you do your homework just as I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    and I've had the exact opposite happen to me. If you put a dozen Verizon techs in the room, they'll all give you different responses. You cannot go by what Verizon (or Sprint, or AT&T, etc) techs say. Even if they knew, do you really think they're going to say, "oh yea, we disabled that so you have to buy our product"... just like they did with the blackberry and gps and previously with bluetooth? You can only go by history and actual results. Look through the forums and find out for yourself. There is just too much evidence that they have blatantly disabled this feature. I'll let you do your homework just as I have.
    That's as may be, but if they'd intentionally disabled the feature instead of hosing it up, then why does it work at all? Are you arguing that they screwed up trying to cripple the phone? And it's already been established that the BB GPS problem was software, and fixed in an update.

As further evidence to support my belief that they screwed up the initialization of the GPS system, I added a patch that allows control of the GPS receiver. When it's turned on, and I don't use ANY GPS functions at all, my battery drops like a rock. We're talking less than 18 hours of standby with hardly any other use. With it turned off, battery life easily triples. It's at 56% as I write this, and it's been off the touchstone for at least 16 hours. This tells me that they've got the radio half-initialized, and it isn't going back to low-power state.

I know VZ has a history of crippling phones. That's why I left them in the first place - there was no point in getting a bluetooth enabled phone when they'd disabled all the functions. They aren't doing that any more.

And since they haven't killed the location-based services on any of their other platforms, or tied them to VZ Nav, why choose just this one?

I don't think they're quite dumb enough to open themselves up to the contract problems and lawsuits that they'd get. I'm still waiting for RIM to *****-slap VZW over charging corporate rates to use BESX.
    another day of testing gps. It does not find gps signal. Google maps located me within a 1.5 mile radius, after 30 sec it jumped to left then to right. Yesterday when test of gps came positive, my location was within 10 ft while driving. I can't recall what made it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildxconfusion View Post
    another day of testing gps. It does not find gps signal. Google maps located me within a 1.5 mile radius, after 30 sec it jumped to left then to right. Yesterday when test of gps came positive, my location was within 10 ft while driving. I can't recall what made it work.
    go to location services and in the preferences turn off find me with google services -- this will have the effect of having your GPS find you spot on when you are outside under a clear sky -- leave it on if you are using something like a weather program that only needs to know the general area you are in and you want to use it indoors because if you are under cover the GPS will most likely not be able to aquire a signal --
    you can try dialing ##477# from the phone ap which will take you to a GPS menu that you can click on get a fix -- this sometimes help wake up the chip

download trapster -- for whatever reason this ap is really good at waking up the chip and getting an accurate fix -- plus it is a good free ap -- google maps sucks plain and simple

go to device information and preferences and tests choose interactive tests and test the GPS --

my gps works reasonably well - it will not work indoors -- neither will my garmin --

hope you find yours to be satisfactory if not get it back prior to your 30 days rolling out

this subject has been talked to death here -- you can run a search and find hours af reading material
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    hmmm I guess the only GPS software i've tried is Google maps on my PPP... but it locks on EXACTLY where I am every time. Within a couple yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sipple31 View Post
    hmmm I guess the only GPS software i've tried is Google maps on my PPP... but it locks on EXACTLY where I am every time. Within a couple yards.
    even inside?
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    even inside?
    yeah. I live in an apt so i'm never THAT far away from a window...
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    My gps works flawlessly, even indoors. (As long as I have VZnav initialized, of course.) Google maps will tell me that my location is unavailable until I start the VZnav app, the Google maps magically finds me within seconds with perfect accuracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    My gps works flawlessly, even indoors. (As long as I have VZnav initialized, of course.) Google maps will tell me that my location is unavailable until I start the VZnav app, the Google maps magically finds me within seconds with perfect accuracy.
    i find that hard to believe -- are you using the google services?

no GPS will find you if you are inside a building away from windows and in a commrcial building a lot of the windows are reflective enough to hamper gps signal if there is a roof over your head and you are getting a solid GPS signal then you sir are a magician and i envy you

try a ground floor area in a multiple floor building and let me know please

thanks
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    like to add the NFL app to the list
    My brother is on sprint network with palm pre. His tet came back with results in let then 3 sec. Mine takes up to 2 minutes with no results. Ihave swith from smasung omnia which gps was blocked by verizon software, to point that even hackers and programers were unable to locate GPS on omnia. After many user complaints verizon made a patch and fixed it. This shows you to what extent they go to to push vznavigator. I believe pre has same issue. THERE ARE MANY WALk arounds on how to fix it. Is should be fixed by verizon. And better quickly since they already got in trouble with other phones. The description states assisted and STANDALONE GPS if it's not found in gos test then it just shows it's being blocked since it's on sprint test.
    the real test on google maps should pinpoint your location up to 20 ft and follow you while driving. So fsr all it does is it pinpoints my location sometimes 50 ft to 1 mile radius and while driving it updates itself every 30 sec or so and is never accurate. It looks more like it's pinpointing my location from CELL PHONE TOWERS and not gps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12