View Poll Results: How far ahead do you think Palm is thnking when it comes to OS versions?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you think they are thinking about features in 2.0?

20 62.50%
  • Do you think they are thinking about features in 1.8?

0 0%
  • Do you think they are thinking about features in 1.6?

4 12.50%
  • Do you think they are not thinking ahead at all? :P

8 25.00%
  1.    #1  
    poll
    They are doing a lot of R&D... working on making the OS Stronger..

BUT at this point in the game.. they better be thinking about hardware too. Remember there are things that have been in the works for almost a year that we still don't know about. I really hope there is better hardware ahead. I'm still on my Day-1 Pre.. and running strong.
    I think it's all trial and error.
    When they always have to put out an update to fix a previous update, it's like taking one step forward and two steps back.
    How far ahead can they actually look if they're in a pattern like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    When they always have to put out an update to fix a previous update, it's like taking one step forward and two steps back.
    Testing in house and real world implementation are two totally different things, I'd imagine that most of the issues we've seen weren't discovered until after the majority got their hands on the latest release thus giving us the x.x.x.x versions. I tend to believe they're at least two versions out, and maybe even more. Anything less just doesn't make sense. For a company to be competitive they have to think ahead... Of course some would argue that Palm is competitive at this point, but they certainly are trying to be.
    version numbers mean nothing, cause tomorrow they could release 2.0.. I think they look about a year, toa year and a half into the future. l
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Using that math, it would mean you believe the current OS is worse than the release date OS.

I disagree completely. I might agree with two steps forward, one step back (though even that is a little extreme). It's the cycle of just about every OS out there to release updates, then patches to fix the updates. The more complex the OS, the more likely that pattern.

If MS, with the resources in $$ and testing available to them, has to do so many patches that they have a weekly scheduled "update date", and offer (for a fee) servers to properly patch systems locally for enterprises - then I am not even a little suprised at this with Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Using that math, it would mean you believe the current OS is worse than the release date OS.

I disagree completely. I might agree with two steps forward, one step back (though even that is a little extreme). It's the cycle of just about every OS out there to release updates, then patches to fix the updates. The more complex the OS, the more likely that pattern.
    Ok. I'll give you "two steps then one step", but that's all.
    How about version 1.5, shouldn't that be one of the choices?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)