Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Hello all I have just received a new Palm pre, I was advised by the phone that an upgrade was due and I pressed the install prompt, this blacked out the screen but palm was displayed along with a bar that displayed progress, the phone is now in a state of hibernation (I think) nothing is displayed on the phone but the screen has a faint glow as though it is sleeping, this has been the case for the past hour, I tried to restart the phone just now but nothing happens.

Is this normal please?
    This doesn't sound normal. You should see some display on your screen telling you that an update is in progress (normally I see a message saying something along the lines of "do not remove battery" along with some graphic showing either the downloading or installing of the new OS).

I wish I could be of more help.
    If you have tried removing the battery and then putting it back in and your phone still won't boot then you may have a corrupt Operating System due to a bad update (it happens occasionally, it's noone's fault in particular).

A seasoned Pre owner at this point would reinstall the Operating System using something called WebOS Doctor - but if you are new to all this and you have recently acquired your device, it may be simpler to ask for a replacement. It really does depend on your situation - did you buy the phone off ebay or from Verizon/Sprint/Your carrier?

If returning the phone is not possible then we will help and guide you through resetting the phone yourself.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for your help fellas, I took it back and received a new phone, Im in the UK.

I put my new phone on to charge until it was full, I then carried out the on screen instructions.

I checked for updates, the phone then asked me if I wanted to update, I said yes and the phone informed me not to remove the battery, there was also a status bar.

The bar finished and the word palm (only) was displayed on my new phone, I left this overnight.

When I woke up 6 hours later there was a battery empty sign on the phone.

I re inserted the charging cable, after about half an hour the word palm was displayed but I couldnt switch my phone on or off.

I removed the battery.

I re inserted the battery and back cover, inserted the charging jack, the word palm came on the screen sort of "pulsing" for a while, it now just says palm.

I really want to like this phone but to be quite honest, after two failures Im not so sure now.

Any help would really be appreciated fellas.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by daveathall; 04/17/2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Dave, all I can suggest is this: upgrading from the OS version on a new Pre (can't remember exactly, but it's 1.2.something) to the latest (which is 1.4.1) is a big jump - in terms of file size (a couple hundred megabytes is it?) and in terms of processing the upgrade.

I think the problem you're having is that you are attempting to turn off the phone and/or removing the battery before the update process is finished - I know it seems like an absurdly long time to wait, but the technology has changed in later versions so that it only changes the lines of code that need changing. Because a stock Pre comes with such an old firmware version, it is replacing a great deal more.

If O2 are playing ball with you, tell them your problem and demand a new phone. With the third phone, leave the update process going, also leave the phone plugged in at all times until the welcome screen comes on.

Note: the update process is not over once the progress bar reaches the top - you're only about halfway there at that point. The "Palm" logo will flash at you for a long time before it is ready to go.

Like I said the technology has changed so you won't have to go through this again once you've upgraded.

I hope this experience hasn't completely put you off using the Pre because it is really a brilliant phone.

Once again, there is no such thing as "bricking" a Pre - we have tools that can recover any software or operating fault really quite easily. If you want to go down that route then just say the word and we'll walk you through it. (this route also skips the update process altogether by installing the latest OS directly).
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Thank you very much for your very helpful suggestions SqyArc, to be honest, I really did want this phone, but when I got up this morning and found the phone unuseable (to me at least) I went back to the CPWH and demanded a diferent phone altogether, I just lost confidence in it.

Having read the suggestions above I tend to agree, the first time I probably jumped the gun too quickly, the second time, I must admit, I thought a full battery would have been ample, it is a shame because I have a car charger en route.

I do think that Palm should notify their dealers to advise their customers that a large update will take a lot longer on the stock phones, this would probably ensured that I would have ended up with a device that was, first and foremost a phone with applications added (the reason I was drawn to it) rather than the "fashion phone" that I have ended up with.
    Well I'm very sad to hear that! But I can completely understand your reasoning. Which phone did you go for in the end? Hope it works out for you
    Please tell us it wasnt an iphone!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardschris View Post
    Please tell us it wasnt an iphone!
    Sorry, but yes, it wasn't what I wanted, and I don't think it is as good as the Palm.

My friend, who has a Palm pre swears by them, even after his went back for a hardware repair, he was the reason I took this route in the first place.

It really was a case of frustration on my part, the 2 phones I had in one day plus the recollection of my friends problem, minor though it was, played on my mind, ah well, I am dissapointed, so much so that I am considering keeping my Nokia 8800 Arte which is a good solid no nonsense phone, and using the i phone to amuse my grand kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
    Thank you very much for your very helpful suggestions SqyArc, to be honest, I really did want this phone, but when I got up this morning and found the phone unuseable (to me at least) I went back to the CPWH and demanded a diferent phone altogether, I just lost confidence in it.

Having read the suggestions above I tend to agree, the first time I probably jumped the gun too quickly, the second time, I must admit, I thought a full battery would have been ample, it is a shame because I have a car charger en route.

I do think that Palm should notify their dealers to advise their customers that a large update will take a lot longer on the stock phones, this would probably ensured that I would have ended up with a device that was, first and foremost a phone with applications added (the reason I was drawn to it) rather than the "fashion phone" that I have ended up with.
    That's a shame, you are missing out on a great phone. Most likely if you had waited a few days before trying to update you wouldn't have had the problem. They should advise new Pre owners to allow a break in period before updating a new phone, or the update should be performed at the dealer.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation