1.    #1  
    So I was looking on the Palm website for ways to contact them about GPS issues I've had with my Pre Plus. It says it's $14.95 to call support??? Is that real??? I've had the phone less than a week. They don't offer any free phone support for customers??? I tried using the chat option, but of course that wasn't working. I'm getting really frustrated with Palm.
    and then we wonder why palm is going down the drain, the pre "the top of the line phone" doesn't have the support from it's own company, it is sad to say it, but the pre didn't live up to the hype, if you can I would get an android device, I'm just waiting for my upgrade date to get the "evo". I'm sure a lot of palm fanatics are going to start critizising us because we talk bad about palm, what we want is a decent device.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    and then we wonder why palm is going down the drain, the pre "the top of the line phone" doesn't have the support from it's own company, it is sad to say it, but the pre didn't live up to the hype, if you can I would get an android device, I'm just waiting for my upgrade date to get the "evo". I'm sure a lot of palm fanatics are going to start critizising us because we talk bad about palm, what we want is a decent device.
    The catch is, I love my Pre Plus. GPS is the only issue I've had with it.
    Tech support is free for the first 90 days of purchase. Outside of that 90 days you will have to pay 14.95 for "telephone" support. Chat support will still be free as long as the device is not what we define as a Legacy or Historical device.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I've called them twice before and I'm definitely outside of my 90 days. Each time they tell me that the Pre comes with a year of free telephone support.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I've called them twice before and I'm definitely outside of my 90 days. Each time they tell me that the Pre comes with a year of free telephone support.
    I apologize for the misinformation. What I stated above is standard policy.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Tech support is free for the first 90 days of purchase. Outside of that 90 days you will have to pay 14.95 for "telephone" support. Chat support will still be free as long as the device is not what we define as a Legacy or Historical device.
    Cool...thanks for the clarification.
    Why are you going to call them about the GPS? It is a very well-known problem with Verizon Pre Plus. We can only hope it gets fixed with the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I apologize for the misinformation. What I stated above is standard policy.
    Well that standard policy really sucks, especially since the two times I called it was about hardware failures (the second time being to check up on a replacement that was supposed to have arrived two days ago, only to find out the order was never placed...) and it's rather ridiculous to charge someone money for needing hardware replaced. You include the price of a one year warranty, but then charge someone when they need to call to use the warranty? Erm, I guess I'll just be glad they deviated from standard protocol.
    You are not charged for a telephone support fee if the troubleshooting determines the device needs to be replaced.
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Call PalmCare

"Phone support fee:

$14.95 for Current and Mature products. Fee is waived if you're within 90 days of purchase, or if your issue results in a repair order being created.
    $24.95 for Legacy products."
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

They preemptively told me it was waived before I told them my problem, but at least it was going to be waived anyway. I'm glad there's precentral for everything else, though.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Why are you going to call them about the GPS? It is a very well-known problem with Verizon Pre Plus. We can only hope it gets fixed with the update.
    GPS is not listed among any of the issues addressed in 1.4.1. I want to know if they are even working on a solution. If so, I would be inclined to hold onto my Pre Plus. If they don't plan to fix it, then I would have to return it. GPS that only puts you "close" to where is not very useful when you are lost.
    Why is this even an issue? If you are aiming for the high end electronic market than be ready to offer free support to your users. Stuff like this is so frustrating, webos may be great but when you start looking at all the pit falls associated with having a webos phone today it almost doesn't seem worth it.
    I think what they mean is if you call in to get help setting up you email or contacts or something, then you get charged, but if there is something wrong then it's free.
    Have you tried taking it to your carrier store?
    What was the problem that inspired you to call?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    You might want to search the forum to see if there are others having the same issues with GPS. Looks like it is a Verizon thing, not a Palm thing. Try this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-1-4-1-a.html
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I am attempting to contact Palm through their free chat site but am having problems. I have tried on 4 different computers with 3 different ISP's.

www.palm.com/chat

I fill out the form and click "Chat with Palm"
    Then it gives me a blank page with the Palm header and has"errors" using IE.
    "Unterminated string constant"

Does this happen for anyone else???

Would like not to be forced to use their $14..95 call support just because the free chat is not working.

TIA
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    TEP.... That's it.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    In my experience I've found that if you do the ONLINE support and they determine you need to call in, they give you a code and the phone support is free. I've done it before, didn't have to pay a dime.