Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    John Q. Public is still waiting for his NON-overclocked Pre to start living the fast life.
    I'm willing to bet three pizzas and a beverage to be named later that there'll be a huge drop-off in Pre owners come June if we don't get that game changing update.
    You mean because that's when the HTC EVO is coming out? Nahh,, I think the vast majority of webOS users are "mainstream public" users that won't ever even know about stuff like Preware, overclocking, homebrew, and will just like the Pre because it'll do the things they need it to do.

Probably a lot of people will be turned off by the Evo by it's larger size...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    You mean because that's when the HTC EVO is coming out? Nahh,, I think the vast majority of webOS users are "mainstream public" users that won't ever even know about stuff like Preware, overclocking, homebrew, and will just like the Pre because it'll do the things they need it to do.

Well, partially because of EVO, but mainly because a big chunk of Pre owners will be eligible for upgrade to anything they want.

It's another potential big loss for Palm.
    New hardware isn't going to change the equation that much. My 800 mhz Pre is faster, but still not as faster as a 550mhz Droid or 600mhz iPhone 3GS. Assuming that Palm magically got their hands on a variant of the 1GHZ Cortex Arm8 chip that Samsung is using in the Galaxy S, they would still be getting speed parity with just the previous generation of smart phones.

More importantly, I can't see them changing the form factor significantly because most the apps - native and 3rd party - are locked into Portrait mode and there still isn't any sort of official onscreen keyboard. It's certainly possible that they have some huge, super-secret mega OS update with GPU access, onscreen keyboard, full landscape orientation through the OS and whatever else....but it's far from likely. They're still just launching on AT&T with ole' unfaithful (i.e. The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus).

You mean like the "lot of people" who are falling over themselves to buy an HD2 from T-Mobile, and have actually sold out a WINDOWS MOBILE 6 handset in 2010 strictly because of its form factor?

That lot of people?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    New hardware isn't going to change the equation that much. My 800 mhz Pre is faster, but still not as faster as a 550mhz Droid or 600mhz iPhone 3GS. Assuming that Palm magically got their hands on a variant of the 1GHZ Cortex Arm8 chip that Samsung is using in the Galaxy S, they would still be getting speed parity with just the previous generation of smart phones.

More importantly, I can't see them changing the form factor significantly because most the apps - native and 3rd party - are locked into Portrait mode and there still isn't any sort of official onscreen keyboard. It's certainly possible that they have some huge, super-secret mega OS update with GPU access, onscreen keyboard, full landscape orientation through the OS and whatever else....but it's far from likely. They're still just launching on AT&T with ole' unfaithful (i.e. The Pre Plus and Pixi Plus).
    I agree, new hardware won't do squat if we don't get a real update.
    GPU access in UI + new hardware = yummy

I rest my case.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    the pre not even with the 800 mhz patch is as fast as other phones, I'm just waiting for my upgrade date to get the evo. A phone with real hardware and real apps.
    If it's marketed against feature phones it could sell some.

Pre is just about dead and come june will be (in the smartphone arena atleast)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I will be dropping my Pre in August for the EVO. I like web os and the form factor of the pre but its just not making me happy anymore. I do hope the best for Palm. I live in San Jose so I am not to far from Sunnyvale and I would hate to see Palm go down, but until they make some changes I think that might be their fate.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    the pre not even with the 800 mhz patch is as fast as other phones, I'm just waiting for my upgrade date to get the evo. A phone with real hardware and real apps.
    My usage with the 800 mhz patch makes me claim that it is as fast if not faster than the droid/iphone stock.
    Mostly because apps open in less than 1-2 seconds and the multitasking cards effect make it twice as fast to do something.

But I want the EVO because of the larger screen, 8megapixel cam, etc... not because of speed (which I'm sure it's faster, but the loss of cards makes it meh)...
    Burrrn, dude, clever title haha..but in all seriousness..Buy out or not If Palm doesn't produce a significant update or new hardware come June..they are done. People simply won't settle especially with the EVO and WM7 around the corner.

Notifications are Cards are cool and i DONT want to lose them but i have to do what i have to do.

The "mainstream public" will be pressured by Sprint sales reps to get the Evo. The Evo will be Sprint's flagship device. 4G and official tethering will lure in business users. The hardware specs will lure in the techie crowd.
    Here in Canada, Bell is still selling the Pre (original) for $99 on a 3 yr contract. Oh, and if you want unlimited everything (txt, video, etc), you wont get it, but you can get pretty close for the mere price of about ~$120/month(not including long distance). And Bell just started allowing tethering...but nothing like the Mobile hot spot stuff in the USA.
    So....no 1cent sales,
    no 2 for 1,
    no 2 for 1 at $29.99 (or less)
    no mobile hot spots
    no Palm Pre PLUS
    you *might* get tethering, if you redo your plan
    TV viewing is NOT included unless you pay extra.

With pricing like that....I can easily see the Pre being a complete bomb for Canada by the time we hit December.

With phones like the Android Incredible coming out and Google slamming them with update after update, why the heck will I want to stay with my Pre. I'll buy out my contract and move to a phone that is hardware superior and wait for them to make the UI 'nicer'.
    Now days its about fast phones with all the features. And not slow phones with no features. Multitasking be darned.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 04/16/2010 at 10:46 AM.
    My biggest gripes as of now is memory leaks and the clunkynes of the UI. fix those 2 and im pretty sure it'll help Pre owners keep their devices until some real updates, like real bluetooth voice dial and bluetooth profiles in general for sending files, and some real pdk apps that will be helpfull. Oh how I miss callrec, resco explorer, takephone, etc etc.
    I'm pretty sure a big number of people including myself will dump the pre effective June. I know at least 6 people that work with me that can't wait for their upgrade to dump the pre. Most of them are getting the Evo or the Nexus One and I'll be one of them.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Here in Canada, Bell is still selling the Pre (original) for $99 on a 3 yr contract. Oh, and if you want unlimited everything (txt, video, etc), you wont get it, but you can get pretty close for the mere price of about ~$120/month(not including long distance). And Bell just started allowing tethering...but nothing like the Mobile hot spot stuff in the USA.
    So....no 1cent sales,
    no 2 for 1,
    no mobile hot spots
    no Palm Pre PLUS

With pricing like that....I can easily see the Pre being a complete bomb for Canada by the time we hit December.

With phones like the Android Incredible coming out and Google slamming them with update after update, why the heck will I want to stay with my Pre. I'll buy out my contract and move to a phone that is hardware superior and wait for them to make the UI 'nicer'.
    Now days its about fast phones with all the features. And not slow phones with no features. Multitasking be darned.
    They are offering the pre now at $0.00 on a 3 year,there is also a data plan offer of $10.00 off a month on the data plan for a new contract.
    a majority of smart phone owners aren't this fleeting. I actually don't know this for sure, but I would bet it's true.

Anyone that "dumps" their pre for an evo, or whatever, is the same person that would dump their evo for a future updated palm device. You're not making any statement on here by saying you're getting rid of a phone you've had for less than a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy96 View Post
    a majority of smart phone owners aren't this fleeting. I actually don't know this for sure, but I would bet it's true.

Anyone that "dumps" their pre for an evo, or whatever, is the same person that would dump their evo for a future updated palm device. You're not making any statement on here by saying you're getting rid of a phone you've had for less than a year.
    Unless Palm gets bought out by someone huge, those that leave likely won't be returning to Palm anytime soon
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    So....no 1cent sales,
    no 2 for 1,
    no mobile hot spots
    no Palm Pre PLUS

Pre's actually free on 3 year. I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago when they started the $10 off with no activation, free 6 month unlimited local calling and free upgrade to 6 PM E-W.

I'm paying:

200 mins
    500MB data /w tethering
    6pm E-W
    Unlimited Text
    CID

$47 + tax / month

That's pretty comparable to my Fido retention plan which I gave up (minus I had 6GB instead on Fido, but I never used close to 300MB)

I love my Pre but I hate Bell's CDMA network. Voice quality became better but I'm getting a lot more wierd network issues. My friends keep telling me they have been calling me but my phone never rang.

I'm still eyeing that AT&T Pre Plus + unlock.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/16/2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIΙ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast