Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After having a deadly accurate GPS experience on my Pre Plus for a couple of days, my GPS totally crapped out yesterday. For most of the day Thursday it kept putting me at the location where I last used it Wednesday night. Finally, it kicked in late Thurs afternoon, but had me 4 or 5 blocks away from where I actually was (this was just with GPS running, not Google). On my way to work this morning, I tried it again, but the same result...4 or 5 blocks away. I was in a location walking to work where I'd tried the GPS before and had great results, but not so today. I takes me 15 minutes to walk to work and the GPS didn't get me until about 2 minutes left in my walk...then it had me within 15 probably of where I was actually standing. I did a GPS 3 times and it said it each time that it couldn't get a GPS signal (even after the GPS had located me on the map).

I keep trying to tell myself this isn't a big deal, because I REALLY like this phone and want to keep it. However, knowing friends who own the Droid and iPhone, their GPS works almost flawlessly. Why would Palm, a company fighting for it's life, not make sure the GPS worked any better than it does? GPS has become a minimum requirement for smartphones. I can understand if it were a bit buggy in the Pre since that was their first shot, but not the Pre Plus. It just seems crazy to me that Palm is trying to stay in the fight against Apple and Android and they release such an unreliable GPS. I'm very disappointed b/c I waited so long to get a Pre and thought it would address all my needs. Again, I keep trying to tell myself the GPS isn't a big deal, but it really was one of the main things I was looking for in a phone.

Is there any hope Palm can address the lousy GPS with an update? Or is this just a bum hardware issue? I have a couple weeks left to return my phone. Maybe the AT&T version will be better?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    If you have VZW this is an epidemic. I'm hoping 1.4.1.x will resolve it.
    In another thread someone sugested that VZ is delaying 1.4.1 as it is working on remving GPS - but No Need! With it being off about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile (as is mine) it is already screwed up!! (c:
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    Can it be fixed with an update? If I knew that Palm was on the issue and planned to resolve it with an update, then I'd definitely just hold onto my phone. If they don't care about it, though, or if it can't be fixed with an update then that's a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Can it be fixed with an update? If I knew that Palm was on the issue and planned to resolve it with an update, then I'd definitely just hold onto my phone. If they don't care about it, though, or if it can't be fixed with an update then that's a different story.
    Why don't you try to ask Palm themselves?
    Send a PM to HardBeatZ
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorgan25 View Post
    Doesn't look like there's any GPS issues addressed in 1.4.1 anyway:

http://www.precentral.net/webos-141-release-notes
    Ok - so how do us VZers get 1.4.1? Update isn't doing it- in fact the Update says "You have 1.4, your phone is up to date."
    I'm sure I'm missing the obvious! (c: (And really do want to know)
    Thanks!
    Yankboy:
    Send a PM to HardBeatZ
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I was about to move to Verizon this weekend and give the Pre a try but this is a reason not to get it. I need GPS and, out of some stupid principle thing, dont want to pay another $10, untop of a $120 unlimited everything to get VZ Navigator. Its wrong.

If they cant fix it just include VZ with the unlimited Data Plan.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    Ok - so how do us VZers get 1.4.1? Update isn't doing it- in fact the Update says "You have 1.4, your phone is up to date."
    I'm sure I'm missing the obvious! (c: (And really do want to know)
    We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you.

Seriously though, VZ has not released 1.4.1 yet! 1.4.0 is the current WebOS version for Verizon.....
    Are you sure that it is not VZW that has crippled this capability in favor of their product? On Sprint, I get awesome GPS accuracy. While some have experienced issues on Sprint, it certainly not like on VZW.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhauer View Post
    If they cant fix it just include VZ with the unlimited Data Plan.
    Verizon sent me a post-purchase survey, and I took the opportunity to suggest either matching Sprint's deal by bundling VZ Navigator for free with a data plan, or else at least offer a per-day use option like they did with their dumb-phones in case someone winds up in a pinch and needs to use it once or twice a month.

Work on the Navit port in the webos-internals section has been going well, and I think that we will have a viable *standalone* navigation option in the near future. (*)

(*) Near future = any time before we see Flash support from Adobe and a microphone API from Palm.....
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Are you sure that it is not VZW that has crippled this capability in favor of their product? On Sprint, I get awesome GPS accuracy. While some have experienced issues on Sprint, it certainly not like on VZW.
    I have both a Sprint Pre and a Verizon Pre+. Other than having to open VZ Navigator (without buying it) to initialize the GPS, both GPS units seem equally flaky from my experiences.....
    I just got a Pre+ about two weeks ago and noticed the GPS sucks too.
    I have issues with it finding a signal at all. I can sit there for 5 minutes outside and sometimes it still won't find a signal.

I have noticed everyone talking about it not being accurate, but is my problem common too?

mike
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yankboy:
    Send a PM to HardBeatZ
    Is he someone in the know?
    Is he someone in the know?
    Uh.. yeahhh
    You could say that.
  17.    #17  
    Just tried to do a chat online with Palm about this...the page won't load. Ugh...
    You still didn't follow my easy advice.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    You still didn't follow my easy advice.
    Yeah, I just emailed. I don't know if HardBeatZ works for Palm or what, but he can't be any worse than their support. $14.95 to call customer support? That's a joke.
    Yeah, I just emailed. I don't know if HardBeatZ works for Palm or what, but he can't be any worse than their support...
    Good work.
    I don't really want to speak for him, but he is dependable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast