Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1.    #1  
    <<deleted>>
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 08/11/2011 at 05:15 AM.
  2. #2  
    I wouldn't waste my time. Let's hope the new owners will change the way the App Catalog is handled.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  3. #3  
    You could always travel to the office of Palm and berate them in person isntead of via such high-tech means as email and chat...
  4. #4  
    I think the issue here is that the Customer Support doesn't see our problem as something within their purview. And the devs somehow don't understand the problems it causes us, and the customer support team doesn't relay our frustration to them.

    can we all bombard Chuq and his team? Jon is probably tied up with the sale. the devs need to be pestered DIRECTLY.
  5. #5  
    Are you some of you serious? You want to rail against Palm for not allowing you to download apps in a country that they tell you is not supported and that you knew wasn't supported? The attitude is just disgusting. Grow up guys. You all sound like babies. You don't live in an officially supported country so get over yourselves.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Are you some of you serious? You want to rail against Palm for not allowing you to download apps in a country that they tell you is not supported and that you knew wasn't supported? The attitude is just disgusting. Grow up guys. You all sound like babies. You don't live in an officially supported country so get over yourselves.
    I complete agree, you can't expect palm to bend over for you.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Palm NEVER
    - made an official statement saying (paid) apps would not be made available in unofficial countries. In fact, they kept their communication on this vague, to the point of hinting at the opposite
    - released any information/instructions about the mechanics of the App Catalogue, and/or it geographical restrictions.

    Then again, I don't expect you to get your facts straight when it's not your problem.
    Why would they have to make an official statement? I think it's pretty official when they don't sell a phone in your country. Simple research would have shown you that they don't sell webOS products in your country. But I suspect that you knew that.

    What wasn't factual in my previous post? Nothing at all.

    FACT: You're railing against Palm b/c they don't support your country.

    FACT: You mentioned in your first post that Palm told you that the device was not launched in your country, i.e. they don't support your country as of yet.

    FACT: You didn't purchase the phone in your country b/c Palm doesn't sell it there but somehow you have a webOS device that I suspect is intended for another country. So tell me again why it should work in your country, which isn't officially supported?

    FACT: Again, it is not supported where you're located.

    Why would you expect the app cat to work there?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  8. #8  
    Actually this raises another question in my head... how does Palm determine what country code to assign? Via IP connecting to Palm? Via device type?

    So if I created my Palm Profile on my Bell Pre in Canada, then move to an AT&T device but stay in Canada, will my profile stay CA or become US?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9. #9  
    So basically... that even shuts out reselling used devices...

    Wonder if Barry can shed some light on how his profile looks like, he activated both an O2 and Telcel.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10. bennish's Avatar
    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #10  
    Man... so tomi666, if I buy a Palm Pre Plus from O2 UK soon, and unlock it with nextgenserver, I'd find I have no app catalog at all if I activated it first time here in aus?

    Would I be able to 'feed' it another IMEI and fix it up? Or is the ONLY solution to actually take a plane to england?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

    This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  11. #11  
    I am thinking how PalmGear can sell apps worldwide without problems. What is it with Palm that they have to do this geofiltering for access to Paid apps? They don't have to follow Apples game plan.
    Just have a GLOBAL ACCESS Paid App store. You only need to geo-restrict apps which are region specific. This will help Palm and Devs with App Catalog sales and revenue.
    It's all currently STUPID.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  12. #12  
    OK then another thing I'm confused now after I thought it over a bit. Why is it that Palm's dev store selling O2 and Telcel devices, when they have all these restrictions? Palm's dev store only sells to US and Canada...

    IMO Palm really should rethink their international strategy. They're essentially shutting customers out, which they desperately need now.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13. #13  
    i had similar issues with Sony's Vaio support a while back.
    The problem is that some other company is taking care of customer support, so thinks like feedback and features that need adjusting are not sent to the company itself (vaio, palm etc).

    Thats what happens when you OUTSOURCE!

    Naturally the customers suffer.

    However in the same of Sony, if you email the heads of service etc, stating LEGAL action, they tend to reply. Otherwise they just delete your email.
  14. #14  
    I don't think it's support staff with this issue, it's more of Palm's application model. They want to try to restrict things like Apple, but the system's not well thought out, and I'm sure the carriers might have something to do with it (carriers hate and always want to disallow gray market devices). Apple nor Android locks people out of App Catalogs because their devices are gray market, it just goes by their profile.

    If this model is true, and in that case me using an AT&T HSPA device to replace my Bell CDMA one will make me gray market and locked out of the apps catalog, then I'm outright going to tell them to screw off and I'm not buying any apps, even if I'm legit now. I'll admit now I'm using some pirated apps on my Pre (I have my sources), because god knows what will happen to my apps after I switch. I'm not giving them my hard earned money then to realize my apps no longer work after switching devices. I want to be legit and was about to buy an app the other day, but now this fiasco I'm holding off.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/18/2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. #15  
    But didn't you say it's a combo of device AND activation country?

    HSPA isn't available here.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Why would they have to make an official statement? I think it's pretty official when they don't sell a phone in your country. Simple research would have shown you that they don't sell webOS products in your country. But I suspect that you knew that.

    What wasn't factual in my previous post? Nothing at all.

    FACT: You're railing against Palm b/c they don't support your country.

    FACT: You mentioned in your first post that Palm told you that the device was not launched in your country, i.e. they don't support your country as of yet.

    FACT: You didn't purchase the phone in your country b/c Palm doesn't sell it there but somehow you have a webOS device that I suspect is intended for another country. So tell me again why it should work in your country, which isn't officially supported?

    FACT: Again, it is not supported where you're located.

    Why would you expect the app cat to work there?


    I wonder where do u come from and why u pretend to get the all thing right without probably having no idea of how the situation can be.

    FACT (just to follow ur style): Palm made an agreement with O2 Germany to sell its Pre

    FACT: The Pre is sold even unlocked, that is not linked in any way to a specific carrier setting, nor to a specific country limited use.

    FACT: When a phone bought in a O2 shop is sold as unlocked, O2, even upon request, says the phone is perfectly function wherever u may use it. Of course, why shouldn't it be like that if it is sold unlocked?

    FACT: at the date of today, even Palm is always unsure and contrasting in his statements about the way the phone works and the catalog in particular.

    FACT: customer support, even at higher levels, is telling one day that developers are preventing apps to go global, even in unofficial countries, and the day after the same technician of the support says that it is explicit choice of Palm to prevent paid apps to be sold in unofficial countries.

    FACT: users who had their phone activated in an official country, but now use the same phones on unofficial carriers and in unofficial countries, are able to access the full functionalities of the phone.

    QUESTION: since u seem to know so well what and of whom Palm may take care, don't u think something is wrong in the way the all thing is planned? If they even don't know how their products work, they should simply not allow them to be sold unlocked. And if the phone is unusable on unofficial carriers, it should be like this for everyone outside ur lucky countries. We, outside the borders of ur Palm chosen countries, we should have still have had no idea even of the existence of the product, so we would have not had any chance to buy it and to ask for a real and full use of the phone.
  17. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #17  
    Can I just chip in a fact too?

    When the GSM Pre was released back in october the App Catalog actually worked and it wasn't until a couple months later that the discrimination started.

    When Palm started to filter us out we thought it was just a temporary state and that it would be fix when App Cat got out of beta. So, we waited 3 months, App Cat was out of beta but still no apps.

    Its now close to 4 months and still nothing.

    This is why we are upset. It used to work!

    PS. No apps = 0 free apps & 0 paid apps DS.
  18. #18  
    It is actually quite simple. Palm has stated multiple times that Paid apps from the App Catalog would not be immediately available in all countries and regions.

    Until they say that they will never be available in The Netherlands, it's your problem because your the one who bought the phone.

    It may be a global economy, and palm may allow unlocked phones to be sold, but that doesn't imply or guarantee access to all services everywhere.

    This is no different than the guy who has an unlocked pre on Cricket, he can't get updates or the app catalog, once again not Palms fault as they haven't launched the phone on cricket and said it would work.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    It is actually quite simple. Palm has stated multiple times that Paid apps from the App Catalog would not be immediately available in all countries and regions.

    Until they say that they will never be available in The Netherlands, it's your problem because your the one who bought the phone.

    It may be a global economy, and palm may allow unlocked phones to be sold, but that doesn't imply or guarantee access to all services everywhere.

    This is no different than the guy who has an unlocked pre on Cricket, he can't get updates or the app catalog, once again not Palms fault as they haven't launched the phone on cricket and said it would work.

    yes but i can unlock my iphone, and go to say Sri Lanka, and download apps there, and install them! (via the phone itself or via the pc/mac)

    i guess the only solution is to obtain the ipk files, but that opens another can of worms
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Uhm, let me get this right; you're referring to a US AT&T GSM device you will or want to use in Canada right? If so, if it's activated the first time in the US on AT&T, you will always, no matter what, have access to the US AT&T App Catalog (under the current conditions; no idea where Palm is going with it; my guess is they don't have a clue either.)
    AT&T's AppCat is possibly different from Sprint's, as the German is different from the Spanish. Sorry if I misunderstood. I haven't been following the NA situation lately.

    You could possibly activate it in Canada using a proxy, but I'm not sure if the carrier's MCC/MNC plays a role (for the Sprint Catalog it definitely does).
    No, I'm planning to bring my phone back to Canada first. I won't have time to activate the phone since I'm a business trip in May.

    I hope we're all wrong and it only goes by the profile country. My profile clearly says Canada, obviously since I have a Bell Pre. As I was saying I'm worried that if I switch the hardware and stay with Bell but go to their HSPA network (which indeed does have a different MCC/MNC, which isn't in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3, but that's a different problem), I will lose access to all my apps that I buy now, since I'm going from official to grey, only on the hardware level though.

    It would be nice if there's a way to check if the current device which country code it's set to. Preware clearly says which country code which app it is.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions