Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So I guess a good experiment would be if I try to activate my account on B-E-A-S-T's unlocked Telcel. Since he only has activated via MetaDoctor I think his device is still "virgin".

But I guess that's a lot of trouble, I'll just gamble it I guess. Worst case scenario is installing apps will be a lot more hassle and bad for the publishers who I want to give my money to...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/18/2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Hmm... I guess I do have an AT&T Prepaid SIM with data I can activate with.

And in all honesty if I was Palm, I would rather go towards an open policy rather than a closed policy like this. As I was saying they are just effectively locking out customers, especially the passonate and enthusiastic ones, which they desperately need now.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/18/2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Well starters I'm nowhere near an "intended official user", since I'm sure AT&T doesn't allow it on prepaid.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    That's oversimplifying things. On other multiple occassions, Palm has stated paid apps would come to every Pre on the planet.
    And there is nothing to say that they won't. You are simply ahead of them.

Get me one page with information Palm provided about the mechanics of the App Catalog. Get me one instruction in any manual, referring to the procedure. When you're allowing unlocked phones to be sold worldwide, and you're being vague about its key features, things get fishy.
    They don't have to release the details of the catalog, there is nothing that would force them to. And Palm has warned all along that unlocked phones would not necessarily have access to all features of of those phones launched with a service.

And it's not my problem, it's any unofficial user's problem (we care for eachother's problems, you know).
    Frankly I could care less about someone buying an unlocked phone who complains about certain features not being available. It's a risk of buying an unlocked phone. Until Palm comes out and says that you will never have access to the app catalog you don't have a legitimate complaint with palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    yes but i can unlock my iphone, and go to say Sri Lanka, and download apps there, and install them! (via the phone itself or via the pc/mac)
    Then enjoy your iPhone
    modeerf, I'm sorry but you do not know what you're talking about. I'm guessing you live in a country where you can only get a phone with a contract. But in most parts of the world they are sold seperately as well. There is no obligation to use an factory unlocked Qwertz pre on O2 Germany. It's of general use!!!! Therefore the app catalog should work!
    Last edited by Torpedojager; 04/19/2010 at 04:15 AM.
    how does this overzealous Palm employee explains us then how it is that free apps are available in unofficial countries? but here again, just in some, and with potentially big differences among customers?

U see, maybe now that we have such a Pre user, with such a big memory about Palm statements and policies, we should profit from it and get as many enlightenment as possible!!!
    I stumbled across this post:

Forums webOS • View topic - Palm profile location switch

Chuq seems to confirm it's the "carrier" string that determines the region. But wouldn't that mean crossflashing the device should work?

And tomi you're definitely right, it's not the profile. Last poster tried and didn't work.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 04/19/2010 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    Frankly I could care less about someone buying an unlocked phone who complains about certain features not being available. It's a risk of buying an unlocked phone. Until Palm comes out and says that you will never have access to the app catalog you don't have a legitimate complaint with palm.
    If you don't care about the issue, WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THIS TOPIC??
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    So when and if we finally become a official country our phones should be able to access the apps, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    So when and if we finally become a official country our phones should be able to access the apps, right?
    Not even. Even if you get a phone from an official country, then relocate the phone to another official country, it appears that if you activate in the second official country you become gray and have no access to the catalog.

You have to activate in the original country, that's the only way to get access.

Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    Then enjoy your iPhone
    typical unintelligent comment by a tw@t......
    Not necessarily true. I think Anderas is right.
    Take me for example; I'm as unofficial as they come.
    Activated my first ever profile in The Netherlands. So on Palm's server my IMEI is linked to a Dutch user's entitlement, which at this point is ridonculous. If the Pre gets launched in the Netherlands, my profile will become official.
    Hmm.... I don't have the money to buy two Pres to test :P

If tried just about anything as well.
    I even drove to Germany to do a Full Erase and German Profile Creation on the German O2 network. That didn't work either.
    Alright thanks for trying. Now I don't have to fly from Asia to Germany (not that I can now with all that volcanic ash)
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    One thing you probably have tried already, but someone from Hong Kong managed to get the catalog working on a UK Pre:

PUMB 2010

Basically what he said is:

Enable "FirstUse" app in Preware, set the language to English (US), then use it to create a profile
    Couldn't try it out though.

I'm from PUMB in Hong Kong, basically his machine was O2 UK Locked and cannot access App Catalog whatever he did. So the solution is just kick start a new profile faking where you create the profile.

Yet, I tried the same trick with O2 DE with German profile, no luck.
    In Device Info, More Info, what does the "Carrier" string says when you're not actually on O2 DE?

I rang palm australia, went through to Palm Singapore, spoke with the head of their office for 50 minutes. Ringing them is much better than email or IM, because you find that most palm employees are bummed out by palm' actions too....
    I used to own a Treo 650. The people in Norway where I live who sold it to me sent me emails offering me an unlocked Pre. At no point was I told that the phone was not officially launched in Norway. I bought a Pre. I now find that I can download trial versions of apps but cannot buy the full versions. I'll probably keep the Pre because I like it so much, but given the above circumstances I don't think that "You should have known better" responses are 100% fair.
    Hello tomi666
    I don't know if my "story" helps locate the problem.
    I had a German Palm Pre that i activated in Denmark with a Danish Sim-card. I also created my first Palm Profile with this configuration. With this phone i had NO paid apps. Only the free ones. I had a lot of problems with OREO so i got Palm to change it for another phone. When i got the "new" phone i signed in with my existing Palm Profile (from my first Pre) And I had access to the German Apps also the paid once!
    What this tells me is that it has nothing to do with the profile. But what simcard the phone is activated with the first time? My second phone must have been activated in UK with a German Sim and as the first activation og the phone is registered as German. The profile i login with has nothing to do with the apps. Hope this helps something:-)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast