Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. I have MyTether on my Pre and it works great with my laptop but no go with my ipod touch. Is anyone else having the same problems? If not, what firmware version are you using on your touch, etc.? Or are you using another way to tether like bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by weibergj View Post
    Wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. I have MyTether on my Pre and it works great with my laptop but no go with my ipod touch. Is anyone else having the same problems? If not, what firmware version are you using on your touch, etc.? Or are you using another way to tether like bluetooth?
    you need to set up the connection manual write down all the settings from ur laptop like ip address and so and the only thing you need to to is fill those information in to your touch and one more thing you need to change the last number of the ip address write down all numbers from ur laptop and you change the last number to the next highest exsample if the last number is a 1 the you put in 2 or if you habe 2 put in 3 and so on. That shoul do it save it and you should be good to go.
    I am using the mobile hot spot app along with my iPad and so far it works great while riding in the car the other day my daughter linked her iPod touch (it a 2nd gen with the latest fw) to my pre and she was able to buy and download a song with no problems.
    I only started doing this tethering a few days ago and hadn't heard of my tether until after I had the mobile hot spot app installed but maybe you could try it out I know it sucks you paid for my tether but if it's not working for you it might be worth it to try the other app.
    Also I didn't have to enter any ip settings or anything like that just the password I set was all I had to do same on the iPod touch and my MacBook pro.
    yes ur right even so mytether is faster then the mobile hot spot at least on sprint the mobile hot spot is slower then mytether.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dante501 View Post
    yes ur right even so mytether is faster then the mobile hot spot at least on sprint the mobile hot spot is slower then mytether.
    I actually experienced the opposite. I did this writeup for a friend when she mentioned that she saw better throughput from MHS than MyTether, and that she couldn't get MyTether to connect to our job's VPN, and she could do it with MHS. We're both on Sprint:

Ok, so this test is (obviously) from the work laptop. I’m sitting in my living room, on EVDO with all 4 bars. Phone is in a stationary spot, charging via USB from my personal laptop. I used the Java based test on DSL · Cable · VOIP · Security · Satellite · Fiber · News · Tips · Reviews · Community · Tools - dslreports.com hitting a server in New Jersey. I started with the MHS. Install went fine, got online fine, and logged on to work fine. The MHS speed test:

Speed Test #88254284 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2010-04-13 21:25:10 EST
    Download: 608 (Kbps)
    Upload: 275 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 74.2 down 33.6 up
    Tested by server: 56 java
    User: 732519 @ dslreports.com
    User's DNS: spcsdns.net
    Compared to the average of 60 tests from spcsdns.net:
    * download is 30% worse, upload is 14% worse

Next I uninstalled MHS, installed MyTether, lather, rinse, repeat:

Speed Test #88256899 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2010-04-13 23:14:39 EST
    Download: 197 (Kbps)
    Upload: 365 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 24 down 44.6 up
    Tested by server: 56 java
    User: 732519 @ dslreports.com
    User's DNS: spcsdns.net
    Compared to the average of 60 tests from spcsdns.net:
    * download is 77% worse, upload is 14% better

Not only was MyTether slower, it took longer for MyTether to accept my laptop’s connection, and had a few timeouts. So MHS it is. I wonder why MyTether is so much slower? Oh well, I can keep it around in case MHS decides to stop working. I did however get MyTether to work with VPN (this email was sent with MyTether), although there was some weird Error code 999 pop up window that wouldn’t go away…
    When did Mobile Hot Spot start working on Sprint again? Just tried it out and it is working, my iPod Touch 3rd Gen connects just fine, no speed issues! Is Sprint allowing it or did our goood friends figure out a workaround?
    in both wyas its a patch hack or whatever you wanna call it. either mytether or mobile hot spot a hacks for the sprint pre. and @irateb i believe you i use the paid version and this one seems faster then the free verison of mytether either way your right mytether is more a pain to get connected to a laptop so. but it is faster for me. so and since i paid for i might as well use it right?? lol
    People who paid for MyTether got their use out of it. Now that HotSpot is free they're getting cornholed.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    People who paid for MyTether got their use out of it. Now that HotSpot is free they're getting cornholed.
    My impression was that MHS wasn't really available to those that were on, say, Sprint. In other words, you'd have to find an illegal source.

Or is it readily available? (Note, I'm aware that Sprint doesn't want you using either, so I'm limiting this to access to the software).
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    My impression was that MHS wasn't really available to those that were on, say, Sprint. In other words, you'd have to find an illegal source.

Or is it readily available? (Note, I'm aware that Sprint doesn't want you using either, so I'm limiting this to access to the software).
    I was referring to the fact that MHS can be ported to Sprint, while mytether, whatever service your on, still costs 15 dollars.