Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All, I know this is a little out there, but think about this one:

For weeks so many of us having been kicking around ideas of one company or another, to buy Palm. How about Amazon?

Apple had the Iphone & then went into the area of the business, that Amazon's Kindle is in. How about the other way around? Palm is bought by Amazon, they merge the Kindle & Palm divisions. This would give Kindle a much more sophisticated OS for the web by having the webOS system. This would greatly increase the use of webOS and making more people aware of it and comfort in using it.

After all, Kindle is lite on the design and implementation of Apps. WebOS has shown that games and other apps are easily ported to webOS. With Amazon’s $ and marketing skills app companies would fall all over themselves to write for the Kindle using webOS!

Palm also brings expertise in phone, organizer and camera into the mix. Not to mention far better keyboards. One of the many negative comments about the Ipad is that it doesn't tether, there is no camera and there is no phone.

Kindle could have all of it, buy snapping up Palm.

Palm gets marketing expertise and $ form Amazon to greatly expand the reach of the Pre.

What do you all think?

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't think it's a stretch at all. I've been saying webOS would be a perfect fit for the Kindle for weeks now with my friends at work who have Palm Pres.
    I don't think webOS on an e-ink screen would be that great :P
  4.    #4  
    Hi, thanks.

Keep in mind 2 things.

1. I do not have a kindle in fact, I have never look at one other than online. (I listen to books from the National Library Service of the Lib Of Congress for the blind and disabled), so I have no need for a Kindle. I am disabled and have problems holding a book or looking down at a book for any length of time.

2. I do not have a Pre, nor do I know anyone who does. I have looked at the Pre, I want one, but my contract with my good old Centro does not end until Oct.

3. You know what they say about great minds, I am glad I am not the only one to think this. I hope Amazon does as well.

This all just popped into my head!

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Very interesting thought here... I like your points as well...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I completely disagree. If Amazon were to buy Palm, it would definitely not be for the purpose of using webOS on the Kindle. I have both a Pre and a Kindle, and while I can see the awesomeness that would result from having webOS on a tablet-style device it would completely ruin the function of the Kindle.

Simply stated: webOS would not work on an E-ink display, even a color one. Without E-ink, the Kindle is worthless.
  7.    #8  
    Why couldn't webOS be adpated to work on e-ink????
    I have actually suggested this a few times, long before there was any actual rumors of palm getting bought. I think that it is extremely unlikely that it would ever happen, but I believe amazon could work webos into their business plan pretty easily.

Amazons main means of revenue is through media distribution (books, music, movies). Their main competitor right now is itunes. They could easily pick up palm and webos, and work together to make a great itunes alternative. They have good relations with many publishers, studios, and record labels, and webos would be a great way to get all of that out into more hands digitally.

I am nowhere close to being an expert on the business side of it, but using common sense, it doesn't seem like getting their own smartphone or tablet os would conflict with any of their other business endevors, unlike like htc, who are already invested in competing technology. Amazon could very easily continue with their e-ink kindle line, which has a very specific niche, and support a smartphone platform. The two markets are non competitive

Furthermore, amazon has vey deep pockets, and I think if devs saw that webos was supported by a company like amazon, it would reassure them that the platform will be supported long into the future, and would be less of a risk to develop for, giving them some incentive to make some needed apps for the pre.

Sorry for the rant, but this is something you can tell I've put a lot of thought into. And again, I know this would never happen, just an interesting thougt.
  9.    #10  
    You hit the nail right on the head! Thank you!
    If you've ever used a book reader - the display refresh very slowly. With e-ink there is a physical change going on each screen refresh. This limits the frame-rate considerably. Even if you could develop an e-ink display that would run webOS smoothly it would be very expensive.

As for Amazon expanding to add smartphones/tablets, this could work, if it weren't for the fact that Amazon probably could not afford to do so. They may have deep pockets compared to Palm, but purchasing Palm, as well as costs associated with the purchase, would use a significant portion of what Amazon has. They're not going to take such a huge business risk for something that may not pay off for several years.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    If you've ever used a book reader - the display refresh very slowly. With e-ink there is a physical change going on each screen refresh. This limits the frame-rate considerably. Even if you could develop an e-ink display that would run webOS smoothly it would be very expensive.
    It's been rumored that the next Kindle will use a .
  12.    #13  
    hi all, I have 2 quick points to make:

!. Amazon does not have to buy Palm for cash, why can't it do a stock offering and handle the financing that way?

2. Also there maybe other answers besides using e ink for a webOS kindle device! Or have a unit that can display in several different modes!

take care, jay
    Amazon is good at one thing, selling any and everything. That is their business model. Developing and maintaining an OS for mobile devices is not.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    This combo would make a bunch of sense if amazon wanted to go head to head with apple's ipad. The only thing i dont see though is how phones would benefit from this. I guess the only way this would work out would be if amazon invested money into palm and in return got webos to use on a new tablet. And as much as I like amazon, I think HTC is a much better fit and would love an Evo like device with webos. I think HTC is coming out with a two screen reader, and the screens are suppose to be on the smaller side when compared to everything else that is coming out. I would love to see webos on that. And if done correctly, it might just show off what webos is all about to everyone out there. This would bring a boost to phone sales running webos too.
    If it ends up being Amazon, they would make it a success. I'm buying whatever Jeff Bezos is selling.
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    If it ends up being Amazon, they would make it a success. I'm buying whatever Jeff Bezos is selling.
    True the man can sell anything and make a success of it.
    very easy.... amazon/palm could make it VERY VERY easy to buy things(music, books etc) from amazon right off your phone.. good for impulse buys and if the camera could focus... barcode reader right to amazon store... see if it's cheaper..
    Amazon has no need for a mobile phone OS. It's cheaper to make an app to help sell their goods. Palm OS is such a small player today, and not worth it for Amazon which has no plans for developing or buying a Mobile phone OS. It will never happen. Guaranteed.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    There are few companies which are good fit for PALM in the following order HTC, Sony,Lenovo, HP.
    My reasoning, these are hardware vendors and "know their stuff". These four also known to make some of the finest electronic equipment to match Apple. I would add Motorola too, but Moto is now deeply in love with Android, which will die with its own fragmentation issues in about four years.

Cisco, Amazon all are not in the mobile business. Cisco wants to primarily sell routers , Amazon primarily sells , just sells everything ( even the iPhone ) . They could be the dark horses. But hmm ,, nope.

I really want Sony to buy PALM. Sony missed the iPod wave. They missed the iPhone.They missed the iPad. Sony management is brain dead. They were ahead of Apple to make mp3 players,phones and ebook reader type device. Yet they lost it.

For a company that handily beats Apple in hardware they just need a good software to match their hardware prowess. They tried Symbian , WinMo and now doing Android. They are forever at the mercy of the OS maker. Its about time for them to buy Palm and bring us more handsets, tablets .... Plus it doesn't hurt to get about 100 plus engineers who were Crème de la Crème of APPLE.

HTC is my second preference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast