Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Glee on iPhone More Than Good—It's Fabulous - apps - Gizmodo

Here's how it works: You sing into your iPhone's microphone along with background music. A live pitch meter will let you know how if you're in tune or not. All pretty standard stuff for a karaoke game.

But what's extraordinarily clever—and technologically impressive—is that Glee doesn't just automatically autotune your voice as it is output through the headphones but also generates live autotuned harmonies from your own voice. It takes your mediocre singing and turns it into overproduced pop pap—and it's fantastic.

Oh, and then it records all of that live so you can share with other users, who then can add their own voice on top. And if you're actually a decent singer, you can turn off the autotuning and harmonies and just go it audio natural.
    Now, even if microphone access was part of the SDK, that's not to say WebOS would have this because it's still a niche platform. But this not even being currently POSSIBLE is a problem. This is complete fluff, but it's fun fluff, and it makes gets people emotionally invested in their device to an extent, which in turn makes them less likely to leave.

And I would suggest that Palm is going to get more mileage out of the PDK copying stuff like this than it would from getting the entirety of the Gameloft catalog. Just my opinion.
    First thing I thought of when I saw what this post was about:

I love Glee, cool app.
    In love with my launch day Pre Plus! Here are my impressions thus far.
    Though I should point out that yes, I'm shocked there hasn't been Mic access yet as well.

I really thought we'd get it in 1.4 with video recording.
    I agree with the post. Glee is a cool show. The pre really needed something like this.
    While I would never purchase an app like Glee I fully agree that Palm not giving devs access to the mic api is getting on my nerves.

The lack of mic api for the devs means we cant get people to work on apps such as visual voicemail that doesn't require me to let the entire world listen to my messages, voice recording, voice commands/dialing, shazaam, etc. As much as I love all the 3d games, I feel like a lot of the productivity apps that would be a huge selling point in addition to the games are not in Palm catalog because they are just taking to long with releasing the api's for a couple of important things, ie mic and camera. It just doesn't make any sense why they wont let the devs at this api.
    As far as I'm concerned, the lack of mic access in the SDK remains one of the biggest mysteries so far. It would seem _easier_ to provide it than giving access to video and the camera, and at least no more difficult. And, audio recording would seem to be less CPU intensive than video (I think, obviously), and so I can't imagine any performance concerns.

Really, this is probably the one area where no matter the angle, I just can't figure out what Palm's doing.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    "Three words about Glee - Way too gay"

hysterical
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My daughter sent me a message:
    One word for tonight - Glee
    I sent one back
    Three words about Glee - Way too gay
    As far as on the Pre, I don't see this app as any reason to be even a little more concerned about the lack of a voice API. The other reasons given are more than enough.
    Why do you hate fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by abbodabbodo View Post
    "Three words about Glee - Way too gay"

hysterical
    not funny at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the lack of mic access in the SDK remains one of the biggest mysteries so far. It would seem _easier_ to provide it than giving access to video and the camera, and at least no more difficult. And, audio recording would seem to be less CPU intensive than video (I think, obviously), and so I can't imagine any performance concerns.

Really, this is probably the one area where no matter the angle, I just can't figure out what Palm's doing.
    Precisely.
    well I'm not feeling the need for a glee inspred autotuner on a crummy mic, any more than one for that rafp star who sounds like he swallowed a robot.

I would like the search function of Ms. Live app for WM, that was nice.

what I really think we could use is more control over the camera. (obvious hardware limits are obvious) but user adjustable WB, panorama mode ect, would really bud my branches, if you get my drift.

hparsons: the gay comment comes across a bit derogatory. Maybe not intentional, but it definitely could be interpreted that way.
    I heard a song on the radio i liked but couldnt think of the name....while i was sitting there trying to think of the name my gf whipped out her moment and shazaamed it.....i was ones again jealous. small and unimportant? yes. useful at times? yes
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    hparsons: the gay comment comes across a bit derogatory. Maybe not intentional, but it definitely could be interpreted that way.
    Correct. And this is why I would recommend that, in times like these, people start replacing the word "gay" with "geh".

Then nobody will get all **** hurt. Hah...
    guys don't be fan fanatics, is not like we get pay from palm, we as users should demand a better product, no wonder why palm is going down the drain, WebOs is awesome but it seems that it doesn't have much support from it's own company.
    Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    guys don't be fan fanatics, is not like we get pay from palm, we as users should demand a better product, no wonder why palm is going down the drain, WebOs is awesome but it seems that it doesn't have much support from it's own company.
    I'm not understanding your point. Every reply not glee specific, has pointed in agreement that mic api is a missing feature.

palm has been supporting webOS, with meaningful functional freaquent updates and they still have alot to do.
    I originally was thinking this as well, that it seems easy and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't here yet. My guess is that they saw how deeply integrated Android has been playing with voice command, I imagine that rather than releasing a simple Voice activated dialing system they are putting in the extra work to make it something that is a big deal when it is released. Maybe voice sensitive universal search? I don't have a clue what kind of innovation they might be going for but aside from some kind of neat new feature I don't see why it could have taken so long.
    Last edited by Necroscope; 04/15/2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Or people could take the word for what it is. A word. And then they could realize that the real meanings for the word Gay and the word Glee really do mean almost the exact same thing. And then they could stop being overly sensitive about what some dude said on the internet.

In my years of life I have learned that no matter what is said or how it was intended there is someone who is going to get ****-hurt over it.

But I will stand by the literal meaning of the words in this case, and the show glee is a very gay show, they all run around being gay all the time, all sunshine and smiles and gleeful gaiety!
    Last edited by Necroscope; 04/15/2010 at 09:59 PM.
    i felt your guys pain a loong time ago, wich is exactly why mine is up for trade or sale right now, anything that can get me into the hands of a more useful OS. voice search, voice dialing, text to speech, speech to text,shazaam, GOOGLE GOGGLES!!! ( Lets face it, the ability to pull up information instantly like that is not only amazing, but amazingly useful). this stuff comes in handy when having to organize things while you drive. i dont see how ''life moves fast, dont miss a thing" could be theyre logo when just about every manufacturer is waaaaay ahead in progress?? and not to mention over 30,000 applications on a os that actually gives its devs access to allll the hardware. palms got alot on theyre plate right now, so i dont know how high another update is on theyre list right now.
    I have a feeling it will be introduced soon I think it would have just a slightly lower priority than video recording and we got that last time. I am hoping it releases with 1.5 in a month and a half or so. Hopefully for the wait we will get something that is hooked into the operating system like V.C. Universal search that works. "Google pizza places" "GPS dominoes" stuff like that would make it worth the wait I think, integrate it at least as well as the new Android does, that would be a good start.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast