Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Another Troll Train, lol.
    Even if Palm were working on some more advanced features for the mic api, it's kinda inexcusable to not release SOMEthing for the mic. Especially with the PDK hanging out there--ie it doesn't have to be done through javascript calls. What's even more amazing is that there isn't more homebrew mic stuff going on.

Whatever is going on with the mic api, we can conclude that whatever Palm is doing takes more than a week's worth of work, and that it didn't have a high enough priority to beat out all the other functionality that has been growing in webOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Apple just released or will release 1500 new API for OS4, what the hell is Palm doing?

I used my friends iphone to "Shazam" a t-pain song last night...Palm pre fail...
    Developers could do this for webOS if :

1) there were mic API
    2) there were 70 million of devices sold

Who would develop this to get a few sales (yes a few: how many could be interested on an app like this?)
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Apple just released or will release 1500 new API for OS4, what the hell is Palm doing?

I used my friends iphone to "Shazam" a t-pain song last night...Palm pre fail...
    I want to understand this... You bought a phone that didn't run Shazam, and for which the mfgs never promised Shazam. You kept a phone that didn't run Shazam beyond the point where you could return it with no penalty. You kept the phone that didn't have a promise of Shazam when you constantly found things that made you hate the phone that didn't run Shazam, in spite of all its shortcomings. Then when you needed to run Shazam, and had to borrow a friend's phone, it's your phone that "failed"?

Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Developers could do this for webOS if :

1) there were mic API
    2) there were 70 million of devices sold

Who would develop this to get a few sales (yes a few: how many could be interested on an app like this?)
    To be fair, most that want a mic API don't want it for Glee, or Shazam (or programs like them). High on the list of things a voice API would give us are:
    • Voice activated dialing
    • Voice recognition for the OS
    • Voice memos

But your point is well-taken, the described app is hardly a real "reason to bemoan the lack of mic API for WebOS", though there are other good reasons to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I want to understand this... You bought a phone that didn't run Shazam, and for which the mfgs never promised Shazam. You kept a phone that didn't run Shazam beyond the point where you could return it with no penalty. You kept the phone that didn't have a promise of Shazam when you constantly found things that made you hate the phone that didn't run Shazam, in spite of all its shortcomings. Then when you needed to run Shazam, and had to borrow a friend's phone, it's your phone that "failed"?

Wow.
    yes. My phone failed to do something that the another was able to do.
    Deleted by moderator
    Actually, you're missing the point. If an app like Shazam is important to you, then you shouldn't buy a device that doesn't have it. Period. Assuming that it will be provided at a later date is your own decision, and as you've discovered, so far a poor one.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/19/2010 at 09:13 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    not that i really care about a mic API at this point def would be a plus for palm.

Could security be an issue? maybe they need time to help separate it's functions from the OS?.. Took apple 2 years to get video and MMS 3 years for multitasking....just saying

We will get it soon i think.. way to much screaming for them to ignore. But with all this buyout rumors, and People leaving i hope things don't fall on the backburner.
    Last edited by antonio3; 04/17/2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    whatever Palm is doing takes more than a week's worth of work, and that it didn't have a high enough priority to beat out all the other functionality that has been growing in webOS.
    And that's pre-cisely the problem.

How can mic APIs not have pre-cedence over all other features on a smartphone??

High on the list of things a voice API would give us are:
    • Voice memos
    And then add the two things I'm really after...
    • Call recorder
    • Voip client

On top of the more "gimmicky" apps that others want...
    • Shazam
    • I Am T-Pain
    • Glee
    • Guitar Tuner
    • Etcetera

That's just about 10 very rad things that developers could be starting on, but... not in the real world, they can't.
    To be fair, most that want a mic API don't want it for Glee, or Shazam (or programs like them). High on the list of things a voice API would give us are:
    • Voice memos

But your point is well-taken, the described app is hardly a real "reason to bemoan the lack of mic API for WebOS", though there are other good reasons to do so.
    I know there are a few ideas that cat be developed due to the absence of mic APIs, but I'm too tired of people claiming for stupid apps, althought that apps could be interesting to someone.

The lack of APIs it's a Palm decision, just based in their opinions/data they handle. I'm sure they are aware of this, and I bet that they're working on it.
    yes. My phone failed to do something that the another was able to do.
    Got news for you. It's a big world out there. You will find that there are many things other phones will do that yours won't. There are also some things that your phone will do that others won't. That is neither a failure of the device, nor the designers. It would be a failure if they designed it to do one of those things, and it would not.

If the device fails to do what it's supposed to do. Return it, and get another.

If the device behaves as it's designed, but is not what you want, sell it and buy another.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    Deleted by moderator
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I have no "chip on my shoulder". There was no name-calling on my part. I merely pointed out, if that was what he was looking for in a device, he bought the wrong device. It's not the device's fault, it's his.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04/19/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I know there are a few ideas that cat be developed due to the absence of mic APIs, but I'm too tired of people claiming for stupid apps, althought that apps could be interesting to someone.

The lack of APIs it's a Palm decision, just based in their opinions/data they handle. I'm sure they are aware of this, and I bet that they're working on it.
    In another thread, a Palm employee made it pretty clear that they are indeed working on it. I suspect that they are going to insist that performance issues are resolved before it's released.
    mikah912 ... it's on the way now.
    on the way when, it the fall? What happens till then?
    on the way when, it the fall? What happens till then?
    Um, I don't know. What do normal people do? Oh yeah; live your life and concentrate on things you can control. Or you could bemoan and belittle, b/c well you have to wait until the fall. But then, isn't that just a waste of your time to b*tch? What amount of b*tching is going to add one hour to your life? I'm just saying.

I don't know Vick. Decisions, decisions, decisions, decisions.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Glee on iPhone More Than Good—It's Fabulous - apps - Gizmodo

Now, even if microphone access was part of the SDK, that's not to say WebOS would have this because it's still a niche platform. But this not even being currently POSSIBLE is a problem. This is complete fluff, but it's fun fluff, and it makes gets people emotionally invested in their device to an extent, which in turn makes them less likely to leave.

And I would suggest that Palm is going to get more mileage out of the PDK copying stuff like this than it would from getting the entirety of the Gameloft catalog. Just my opinion.
    A creative developer is a creative developer. So I wouldn't go so far as to say that such a app (not exactly the same dev) as the one you referenced above wouldn't be created for webOS. Now that the mic apis are available on webOS, any dev can make apps that are complete fluff. It doesn't have to be a iPhone dev but another creative dev such as the ones in the homebrew community.

Or it can be folks that have great ideas and they would like to make those idea available on webOS. Basically, someone like the 13yr whom is developing apps for webOS or the creators of Youmail or the person whom did the app for the NS train system in the Netherlands. All great ideas aren't confined to one group of devs. If you wanted to, you could make a bar code app or a fluff app entitled I am Rick Ross b/c the apis are now available Mikah.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    your cryn cause we can't sing into our phone to gay I mean glee .dude man up
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If you wanted to, you could make a bar code app or a fluff app entitled I am Rick Ross b/c the apis are now available Mikah.
    Umm... I must have missed something. Where are they??
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast