Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I remember the day back in 2009 when sprint announced the Palm Pre, at that moment I had a Palm Centro (which was my first smart phone) and the more I read about the pre the more I got excited about it, I wanted to get one really bad as soon as I could, so the day finally came and I acquired a Pre, at first I was very happy with it, but now I'm a bit dissapointed, mainly because of the lack of support from palm, first we don't have apps useful as the android, or apple, and yet palm doesn't let developers develop apps using the mic, or the camera, it seems as if palm doesn't demand google to develop better apps for webos, we don't even have street view on google maps, no latitude, no google voice, and other things, I really think that we don't have the neccesity to be patching our phone to have things as a virtual keyboard, or fooling webpages on making them think our phone is an iphone, I'm very ashamed of Palm, I lost faith on palm. WebOs is awesome but it doesn't have the support to back it up. Heck we don't even have a music player of our own.
    Dude I'm by no stretch a Palm ******, and there is no doubt that there have been multiple areas Palm fell short when making/marketing/selling the Pre, but I don't think "demanding" google to develop better apps for WebOS would get anywhere. Palm is a fraction of the size of Google, and Android market share is growing leaps and bounds while Palms is shrinking.

From what I have heard and read, the developer support has been very good.
    I'm a little lost - on the one hand, you want Palm to demand something of a third party (Google), yet on the other hand, you don't think you should have to use third party patches.

Seriously, install PreWare, explore a bit.

BTW, this phone is far better supported by Palm than the Centro was.
    I will agree that the music app is abysmal, try downloading Music Player Remix from Homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I will agree that the music app is abysmal, try downloading Music Player Remix from Homebrew

+1... then download the patch to 'hide music player app' so you don't have both showing
    I feel you on this one. Palm released a terribly unfinished product. The hardware was not fully utilized (no GPU UI acceleration, or even GPU access until some 6 months after release), the SDK and PDK did not come out until much later, and overall the execution was fumbled horribly. It's almost as if Palm's upper management is staffed by trained monkeys than rationally thinking human beings. It is no wonder that Palm is up for sale. WebOS is an incredible mobile OS, the best one out there IMO. It's a shame that such a talented team of developers were crippled by inept and downright stupid management. They released a product which should only have qualified for alpha stage of testing, and are now releasing update after update, each one buggier than the last. I realize that it may not have been feasible for Palm to postpone, but only now is WebOS potentially ready for release. And it is still unfinished. I find it very strange that apps can now utilize the GPU (and they run very smooth), while we are stuck with a laggy UI. Whether or not WebOS will ever be finished is questionable, given rumors of Palm's sale.
    are you guys serious... when WebOS launched it was leaps and bounds better then Blackberry Storm and RIM is a billion dollar company. You seriously haven't really seen a laggy OS till you have seen the blackberry Storm (the first one) that was such a nightmare in less then 6 months RIM announced the Storm2 was on it's way! to get the heat of the LARGE amounts of returns.

I'm not saying is great right now... but i am saying in the state it's in it's still better then other phones...
  8.    #8  
    I have preware, and have my phone overclocked to 800 mhz, but the majority of the people don't know how to download preware, and overclock their phones, and they're stuck with a phone that doesn't have the suppor as other phones, that's is why palm is going down the drain, they didn't wait enought time to have a phone that really competes with others, but don't get me wrong, WebOs is awesome, but palm really needs to get back on the game.
  9.    #9  
    antonio, what about not being able to record video? Have you forgot how long it took for them to come up with the update? C'mon we didn't even have a decent facebook app. We don't have many decent apps, and palm is the company that started everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    I have preware, and have my phone overclocked to 800 mhz, but the majority of the people don't know how to download preware, and overclock their phones, and they're stuck with a phone that doesn't have the suppor as other phones, that's is why palm is going down the drain, they didn't wait enought time to have a phone that really competes with others, but don't get me wrong, WebOs is awesome, but palm really needs to get back on the game.
    It is a sad state of affairs when the phone needs to be overclocked to the max just to have it come close in speed to the competition (Apple). It is a 60% overclock from 500 to 800 Mhz!!! And there is no cooling. I've always maintained that such an overclock is dangerous no matter what the temperature readings are. BTW, I've used the patch. Yes, it was a bit faster, but not enough for me to risk frying my phone. I'm not against overclocking, my PC is overclocked from 2.33 to 3.2 Ghz. But it has a very big cooler on it, which keeps temps just below the manufacturer thermal threshold at continuous full load on air cooling. The CPU also has features that will clock it down if it overheats, and will shut it off completely if it dangerously overheats. I doubt the CPU in our phones has these features, and I don't want my phone to happily run itself into the ground.
    WebOS is still a new system. Both Android and Apple had a jump on WebOS. I think it's come quite a way. Palm has done things with synergy and Over the Air Updates and multi-tasking that no other platform can really match. None of these other products were great products on their 1.0 release. If Palm keeps innovating and gets better on execution, they will be fine. Remember it's just a phone. If Palm tanks eventually we buy a new phone, if things work out we have a phone that gets better and better over time.
    I agree with wynand32, kept thinking it would get better.

I have Preware and overclocked, love it. I look at the apps, have yet to pay for one, so Google and whoever can write and try to sell all the useless programs in the world.

If you buy apps, how many have you bought, how many do you really use? 75,000 or something for Iphone - burps, farts, dumb games, etc.

The only app I really is is Shazam, need mike.

But really, it is a phone, mine is so functional with weather, updates, text, email, calendar, some of these are intertwined with other functional apps that are free. I am so close to a computer, as are most of us, how much time can I really spend looking at a 3inch screen? And get anything done?

I am old Palm user, tried Windows - wheh, just like maintaining by computer for a phone - simple phones, and have played with my family's BB's and Hero. So complicated, yes you can customize, but with Preware I can do same, still useful, can't brick, easy to use, 1 button or swish does everything.

Guys, this is a phone not a computer. Enjoy it
    My Pre does everything I need/want from a smartphone, 10 months and the hardware has held up fine. If you are not happy with your phone, find something that suits you better and quit complaining.
    Yeah, really, get a phone that suits your needs. Whatever you cant do on the phone, just go on the computer and stop complaining. But Palm, can you please develop a better message app? This is horrid. Thanks

Apart from that, i love WebOs, but i wish the hardware was alot better. I paid too much for this phone and now its virtually FREE!
    I wish i had waited a little bit before i bought it...But oh well.
    You do know that palm made web-os, right? And what do you mean not supporting it enough? Do you think palm is spending their time working on on palm os, and isn't supporting web-os, or do you think that palm is focusing on supporting web-os but doesn't have the recourses to meet your expectation.

Which of the two sounds more likely?
  16.    #16  
    I'm saying that palm is really bad right now, and even then it doesn't open up on letting developers use the camera or the mic, we are missing many apps, tell me why the processor is underclocked? The pre, is very similar to iphone, and yet is slow, tell me why do we have to use an old version of itunes to put music on the pre? Sure we can hack into the phone and make it work better, but most consumers don't know how to do that. No wonder why palm is going down the drain. Don't be a palm fanatic, be a consumer that demands a good product because the phone was not cheap.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I think WebOS is the best OS available right now.

As for the Pre, I like it but would like to see palm develop a similar product with a larger screen, not so fragile and with a glass screen. The ability to add memory would also be a plus.

Palm Pre's plastic is easy to scratch and all plastics attract oil making the screen hard to keep clean.

But I don't know anything better than the Pre.
    mexclean just stop you sound ridiculous. I think a larger percent of users could care less about mic/camera api. Yes it would be nice but its all about priority man you cant do it all at once.
  19.    #19  
    billy, so I sound silly because I want a good product? Tell me, when you buy something you want something that is worth your money? Or you like giving them your money for a product that is not even finished, the palm pre was not a finished product, they rushed to bring out, they announced it too soon. As I said, I like WebOs, but they fooled us.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    You are insane. Palm are working their *** off as demonstrated by the frequent updates to webOS. You lot are totally unreasonable. I was happy with v1.1.2 and welcome each and every update that lands.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast