Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Well, it's been almost a year since I eagerly stood in line to pickup my shiny new Palm Pre. It was pretty cool. I had been a Palm user for quite some time -- from PDA to Treo phone. My Palm devices became an essential part of my daily life -- both professional and personal.

I like the Palm Pre. There's definately a 'coolness' factor. I am in love with the free apps RadioTime, pReader, and Stitcher. I use my Pre all the time.

But, after almost a year, I think I'm realizing that my Palm probably won't become the essential professional tool that we relied upon in the past. I guess I am moving beyond the "coolness" of the phone and am left wanting for some of the basic things that we used to be able to do with PalmOS devices.

-- I want to be able to QUICKLY manage my emails -- dispatching them to folders or deleting multiples at once. After 1 year, I long for the capabilities of the old ChatterEmail.
    -- I need to be able to edit word and excel documents.
    -- I find that I am frequently frustrated when trying to make a phone call because there is a slowness sometimes that leads to typing errors. I can't quickly jump to a contact and dial their number.
    -- Classic is fine, but I hated having to be forced to buy it in order to run PalmOS programs. And there are many, many things that you just can not do very well in Classic without a stylus.
    -- Battery. This is the biggest issue. I simply can't rely on my Palm Pre if I am on the road. I am constantly thinking about where I can plug it in to charge. I've been in more than 1 emergency situation when my Palm battery was dead and I could not use the phone. Use GPS or streaming internet, and my battery is reduced to a matter of an hour or so.
    -- MEMOs. I used to use the MEMO tool all the time -- typing in notes in Palm Desktop or Outlook and syncing them back and forth. No more.
    -- TASKS. The bread and butter of the Palm as we once knew it was a contact and task manager. I've not once used the WebOS task manager. I'm not going to spend money to buy a tool that should be fundamental to Palm.
    -- Contact Categories. Once again, a core function of Palm OS devices. It's how I separated my personal, professional and ministry contacts. Gone.

Those are the biggies. I think Palm was a wonderful company -- and I really, really want to use their products. There is some kind of weird physiological attachment that we have to the company. But I am coming to realize that they are really not the same company. WebOS is not a business tool. I don't think that it is ever going to be a business tool. It's a "soccer mom" tool and makes a great entertainment device (if plugged in!)

But I'm not sure what else I would move to. That's where I am after almost one year of using the Palm Pre.
    Sounds like there's a Blackberry in your future. Most of the same cool apps and more slanted to business use.
    Great review I feel the same way, that's why I'll be picking up the HTC Evo this summer
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    Those are the biggies. I think Palm was a wonderful company -- and I really, really want to use their products. There is some kind of weird physiological attachment that we have to the company. But I am coming to realize that they are really not the same company.
    "They are not the same company" is probably one of the bigger disappointments to their previous customers.

I think that the direction that they went with in focusing on "new" things like multitasking and synergy were good advancements for the industry. But it feels like they forgot exactly what made them famous in the first place. Solid and functional PIM devices. The death of palm software for sync, the agenda screen for quick look usage and lowered quality hardware takes away the things that made many old PDA users become such big Palm fans back in the day so this product/company definitely doesn't feel the same at all. And that hurts Palm most because the lack of familiarity with Palms roots makes it easier for people to forget their loyalty to a company they used to really like. I see a lot of people switching phones this summer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    "They are not the same company" is probably one of the bigger disappointments to their previous customers...
    Ironically, "They are not the same company" is one of the more exciting things from some of their previous customers. I was ready to switch from Palm when they announced the Pre. I know several folks that were in exactly the same boat.
    I can understand your opinion I guess. I love the Pre and it has actually encouraged me to use it for business and school... unlike the blackberry 8330, where I rarely used tasks or todo or any type of memos app. But I downloaded an agenda app from WOSQI that works quite well. So, good luck. I was in a situation where I was worried that I might have to switch to another phone... long story, but was lied to by Tech Support at Sprint to try and force me to switch phones, said there was a Pre recall (NOT true)... and I couldn't think of one phone that I would prefer to have over the Pre... Even the Evo. Yes, it still needs a little bit of work... but I would say if you haven't already try to 800mhz ipk. It makes using the phone a different experience.
    First Alltel "smartphone" HTC Touch (4 devices); then HTC Diamond (1 device); then Blackberry Pearl 8130 (1 device; the Blackberry Curve 8330 (6 devices due to becoming Verizon customer ); then.... Finally the wondrous and amazing Palm Pre and I will never go back!
    Although I am not using it, it looks like Chapura PocketMirror would be a solution to Tasks and Memos. For finding a contact quickly and dialing, there are several good contact "dialer" programs, including Quick Contacts, which lets you put up to 48 contacts in a quick list. Put it in your bottom laucher bar and it's pretty quick. Or how about the first and last initial trick? That will pull up a contact quickly. And how would you use contact categories on the Pre? I have seven contact lists in Outlook and on the Pre, they are all combined through Google and I don't see why I would use them. I used Chattermail for years, but find that the Pre email is easy and works well. If you want to have a bunch of email folders, I guess you could use IMAP.

I agree that there should be a way to edit word/excel docs and that the battery life is not that great. But, you can extend it with some setting adjustements and even get a higher capacity one.

I'm not saying the Pre is perfect, but there are some options that could help you out. Maybe you have looked at those things and they didn't work for you. Personally, I have used Palms for years and since getting the Pre, have move forward and changed my paradigms in regards to how to efficiently use a smart phone.
    Based on what i know so far, i'll be sticking with an iphone..jailbroken of course. It's the wife's decision that i'm not sure on. Sprint's coverage got worse for her on the Pre. Thinking of switching her over to AT&T with me but not sure to stick with Palm and settling for a Plus Pre.

I'll probably push her to iphone if she can tolerate the kb.
    I am in the same feeling. Coming from Palm OS and windows mobile world, and being frustrating because of the promise of the new best of breed technology that was not accomplished. Personally, having to wait for OS releases to complete the functionality and correct bugs, paying for apps that are included in other devices, and the battery issue, are the things that makes left me with a bitter experience about Pre usage. Moreover now with the uncertainty of support and permanence in the market facing the selling process.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Ironically, "They are not the same company" is one of the more exciting things from some of their previous customers. I was ready to switch from Palm when they announced the Pre. I know several folks that were in exactly the same boat.
    I already made the switch myself and only came back because of how new webOS was / is.

Of course, there's still rough edges that the old devices did better. But if their new OS had been more similar to Cobalt or the Access Linux Platform / ALP, they'd pretty much have been laughed off stage at last year's CES. Of course, I hope they continue to have the opportunity to refine and improve the OS, including a couple things from the original post. However, they pretty much did exactly what they needed to do to keep the company alive for this long.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    My almost 1-year review is that the Pre is working great for me as I use it for my business. Mostly I like Synergy for my email and contacts. I don't see a need for contact categories since I just use Universal Search to find people. I can have thousands of uncategorized contacts and find who I want in a few seconds by entering their initials or part of their name. I generally manage my multiple email accounts (deleted multiple emails, etc.) on my computer not my phone. I use Remember the Milk for my tasks and use one of the RTM apps for that (still playing around to find which works best for me). I never used memos much; but I do use Evernote occasionally. That way I have my notes wherever I am.

Thinking back to my Treos, what made them great was not the native Palm apps but the great third-party apps like Datebook. We have some really good apps to add to the Pre in the App Catalog and Homebrew, so I'm pretty happy.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention the calendar in my almost 1-year review. I have five calendars on Google and they synchronize with the phone very well. I use Agenda and Quick Event which makes the calendar even better.

I also want to give a shout-out to Launchpoint. I have all of my favorite people to call on the first page of my launcher. All I have to do to call one of them is bring up the launcher and tap their picture. Works great!
    For dialing contacts quickly why dont you use universal search? Thats gotta be the fastest way to dial of any phone I've ever used. As for battery, buy a mugen 1400 for 30 bucks shipped. As for your other points, you sound like a business power user... if you wanted to edit microsoft documents then why did you buy the Pre?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Follow up to my initial post...
    One of my big concerns was the speed issue -- Since I wrote my post, I discovered the overclocking methods here at precentral. I'm installed 800mhz overclocking. Man, talk about a world of difference! Wow, now when I type phone numbers on the screen, they actually process in real time (no latency). Overall the device feels like the speed keeps up with the OS nicely.
    This puts a whole new light on things...
    I must say that the pre developer network is incredible! And, perhaps, I should try to jump in and develop some applications myself to address my concerns.