Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I've had it for a week and love it, except I'm not sure if the GPS radio is working correctly.

At first, I noticed that my location wasn't specific enough, did some research and found it to be fairly common, enough to have a thread on a 'fix'
    So, I turned off GPS, then the the Pre, took the battery out for a while, then powered back up, enabled only GPS and it seems to work.

Thing is, seems only to work for Google Maps. I will start the app up, but it doesn't know my location immediately, it takes about 30 seconds. If I restart maps, it does the same thing, doesn't remember my location.

If I try to start up foursquare or Yelp, they won't work until I start up maps first.

What should I do?
    Sometimes my Sprint Pre takes a while to locate me in Google Maps. Not to mention Google Maps takes about 30 seconds to load, as well.
    timing depends on the satellites too
    it's not just the phone

30 seconds isn't that long.. actually average
    This is a bug on most, if not all, of the Verizon Pre Pluses. Hopefully it will be fixed in 1.4.1.1.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I'm OK with Maps working the way it does, but other apps that need GPS won't work.
    I wonder what GPS chipset it has??
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chull View Post
    I wonder what GPS chipset it has??
    I'd say if I knew where it was listed.. Device Info..?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    bump
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    bump
    I feel your pain. Just bought my Pre Plus last week. The GPS was REALLY buggy at first, then it actually worked extremely well for 2 days. The last couple days have been awful though. This is a very common problem...I think everyone with a Pre Plus has this issue. Like you, I am on the fence about returning while I still have the chance. The $35 restocking fee would be worth it to wait for a WebOS device that does what it says it's supposed to do. Talk about false advertising! And, don't waste your time trying to talk to Palm about this. They know and don't care. I absolutely love this phone and it would totally suck to have to return it. I waited well over a year b/c I figured all the kinks would be worked out by then. Apparently not. Looks like I might be waiting a bit longer
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Lack of GPS sucks, but it is not a deal-breaker for me. Is this a software or hardware issue?
    Lack of GPS sucks, but it is not a deal-breaker for me. Is this a software or hardware issue?
    It's software, something to do with Verizon, my Sprint Pre's GPS is accurate and pinpoints my location on google maps.
    If GPS is important to you, then you should probably return your phone. Verizon and Palm know about the issue and neither seem too inclined to do anything about it.
    Return it and get the HTC Incredible. The phone looks amazing.
    return the phone, get another Pre check if the next device has the same issue, if it does get another phone, something android i say
    Last edited by peabrain; 04/19/2010 at 04:25 PM.
    In you phone app, dial in ##477#, this will bring up GPS info. Tap Get Fix, this will give you location, altitude, speed, and accuracy information gathered via GPS.

If it takes about 15 seconds or so, your phone is probably normal.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation