Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my Pre Plus a few weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. I started writing a long winded post about what I like and dislike about the phone but I decided to just make a list of pros and cons since I'm sure everyone at precentral already knows about these issues.

Pros:

Web OS (great for multi-tasking, easy to use, alerts at bottom of screen)
    Good email application
    free mobile hotspot
    Vibrant Screen
    Built in keyboard
    Good internet browser
    Good speakerphone.
    Good size
    Small chance of Flash compatibility in future
    Verizon Network

Cons:

Web OS not as snappy as iphone OS
    Touch screen response lags compared to iphone touch screen
    No real virtual keyboard (aside from the subpar homebrew one)
    Physical keyboard keys a bit small
    Severe lack of fun / useful Apps
    Mediocre battery life
    Feels cheap / plasticky
    Phone sometimes overheats during regular use
    Palm / web os has an uncertain future

I'm really on the fence about whether to keep the Palm Pre for two years before my 30 day period runs out in two weeks. I quickly bought the Pre when I heard the announcement about the free mobile hotspot, but I'm not sure if having a free hotspot makes up for a complete lack of apps.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greately appreciated. Thanks.
    lol boy you going to get flamed for saying the iphone is snappier than the pre lol oh boy
    you probably brougt it cause the price went down on it. Battery life is great on my pre. And you might have huge fingers cause the keyboard it's the perfect size.
    Well it is what it is. If you like the Iphone SOOO much which you made clear in your post why don't you just switch to AT&T since it is no more expensive than Verizon with the Pre? If your worried about speed so much put the 800mhz patch on your phone. I believe that will change your mind about the Pre's responsiveness.
    Pro
    active and productive homebrew ecosystem condoned by Palm

Correction
    very good chance of Flash compatiblity within a few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    you probably brougt it cause the price went down on it. Battery life is great on my pre. And you might have huge fingers cause the keyboard it's the perfect size.
    On the battery point, anecdotal evidence suggest that you can expect battery life to improve after a couple of weeks of use.
    Pros:

Web OS (great for multi-tasking, easy to use, alerts at bottom of screen) (A great experience, yes!)
    Good email application (Good enough, but can off course become better and quicker)
    free mobile hotspot (For a limited time I've heard)
    Vibrant Screen (True, it is both vibrant and powerful - esp. comp. to the iP)
    Built in keyboard (Wouldn't and couldn't live without it)
    Good internet browser (It renders nice but needs a few more features)
    Good speakerphone. (Hardly use it, but it seems fine)
    Good size (Fits perfectly in the jeans pocket and takes a squize there w.o. complaining)
    Small chance of Flash compatibility in future (I believe they deliver as promised in due time)
    Verizon Network (Couldn't care less 8o)

Cons:

Web OS not as snappy as iphone OS (True, if most resources are used)
    Touch screen response lags compared to iphone touch screen (Really?)
    No real virtual keyboard (aside from subpar homebrew 1) (I believe it will come, for the Asian market)
    Physical keyboard keys a bit small (Personal preference - I find it just fine)
    Severe lack of fun / useful Apps (Seriously?! Cause I have especially a lot of fun on mine)
    Mediocre battery life (Don't get this complaint. Even when I surf for hours I'm pleased)
    Feels cheap / plasticky (Unfortunately true, but it seems to be sturdier than it feels)
    Phone sometimes overheats during regular use (Never experienced that. Hot, but not HOT)
    Palm / web os has an uncertain future (HAS? Who knows that?)

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
  8.    #8  
    I don't think you'll find one review on the pre where the reviewer thinks that the Pre keyboard is the "perfect size"

The keyboard is probably the least of my concerns about the pre. I did install the 800 Mhz kernel and it does improve the speed in which applications load. However it still does nothing to increase the responsiveness of the touchscreen. Also I am worried that running the patch will also reduce battery life and increase system heat. It doesn't help matters when Palm's official position is that you can void your warranty by overclocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus83 View Post
    I just got my Pre Plus a few weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. I started writing a long winded post about what I like and dislike about the phone but I decided to just make a list of pros and cons since I'm sure everyone at precentral already knows about these issues.

Pros:

Web OS (great for multi-tasking, easy to use, alerts at bottom of screen)
    Good email application
    free mobile hotspot
    Vibrant Screen
    Built in keyboard
    Good internet browser
    Good speakerphone.
    Good size
    Small chance of Flash compatibility in future
    Verizon Network

Cons:

Mediocre battery life
    Feels cheap / plasticky

I'm really on the fence about whether to keep the Palm Pre for two years before my 30 day period runs out in two weeks. I quickly bought the Pre when I heard the announcement about the free mobile hotspot, but I'm not sure if having a free hotspot makes up for a complete lack of apps.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greately appreciated. Thanks.
    Calibrate the battery by letting it empty completely once. This teaches the battery what is an "empty" battery and what is a completely "full" charge. When you recharge it, you will find that it has much better life.

If you do use the 800 patch make sure you use the "scaler" to protect you battery life.

My phone only gets truly hot when I use data intensive apps while it is also charging (navigation, browser, hot spot, etc).

Just understand one thing. This forum is like the mob. It is hard to leave, but if you do leave...you can never come back; at least not with the same user name.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Just like I don't spend time comparing my wife to other women. I won't spend time complaining about my phone as compared to other phones. After I have already gotten it. You will never be happy with anythng if you only hate it for what it can't do instead off loving it for what it can do.

I think you will not be happy with the Pre. You feel it is inferior to the iphone. Just get the iphone.

Simple as that.
    [QUOTE=morpheus83;2383224]...
    Cons:

Stop comparing it to iPhone, either it's snappy enough for you, or it isn't.
    Stop comparing it to iPhone, see above.
    It doesn't need a virtual keyboard. Personally, the HomeBrew one did the job, but I stopped really wanting it. I'm confused by the whole concept of a "real virtual keyboard". Seems real and virtual are mutually exclusive
    You get used to them
    What apps are you looking for? How important are they to you?
    Mediocre battery life
    I overcome this by having a charger in the car and at work
    Feels cheap / plasticky
    Because it's made of plastic. Lightweight doesn't equal cheap.
    If it's so hot that it's a problem, I'd take it back. If it's not too hot to be a problem, then it's not a problem.
    Everything has an "uncertain future". Palm is no more or less likely to go out of business now than they were two weeks ago.

That said:
    There is no "complete lack of apps", the words "complete lack" are disputed by the number of apps that are available. However, if the apps don't suit what you're looking for, you should take it back.

Bottom line - there are too many phones out there for a person to have to be "convinced" by others that they got the right one.
    It doesn't need a virtual keyboard
    I think it does, because some people, me including, use different non-latin languages besides German/English - Russian, Hebrew, Chinese, etc.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus83 View Post
    I don't think you'll find one review on the pre where the reviewer thinks that the Pre keyboard is the "perfect size"

The keyboard is probably the least of my concerns about the pre. I did install the 800 Mhz kernel and it does improve the speed in which applications load. However it still does nothing to increase the responsiveness of the touchscreen. Also I am worried that running the patch will also reduce battery life and increase system heat. It doesn't help matters when Palm's official position is that you can void your warranty by overclocking.
    We are all reviewers. If it is perfect for some then I don't really see the point in arguing it with them just because some tech blog says "it's fine but could be a big bigger." That is that reviewers opinion. To each his own. Just as no one should really argue with you if you feel it is too small for you. I like the keyboard just fine myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    .....very good chance of Flash compatiblity within a few months.
    That's strange.
    I could've sworn they said that almost a whole year ago.
    Slap on the 800Mhz patch and you won't be feeling the same way anymore.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Hmm, is it possible that people sometimes forget that the battery can be replaced? You can get an extended battery if you really need it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm in the same exact boat as you are. I've had my Pre Plus for 6 days now and these are great points that I will try to answer too seeing that I'm a new and fairly unbiased owner of this phone.

Pros:

Web OS (great for multi-tasking, easy to use, alerts at bottom of screen) -Agree
    Good email application -Agree
    free mobile hotspot -Agree
    Vibrant Screen -Agree
    Built in keyboard -Agree
    Good internet browser -Agree
    Good speakerphone. -Could be better, but generally I agree
    Good size -Agree, fits great in pants' pocket
    Small chance of Flash compatibility in future -Agree, it was supposed to be a couple months away last June, but it's a pro compared to the iphone where it won't happen for sure
    Verizon Network -Agree

Cons:

Web OS not as snappy as iphone OS -Disagree, it's only slower when you have a bunch of stuff open
    Touch screen response lags compared to iphone touch screen -See above
    No real virtual keyboard (aside from the subpar homebrew one) -Agree
    Physical keyboard keys a bit small -Agree though I'm getting used to it
    Severe lack of fun / useful Apps -Agree to a point. No voice recorder, shazam, shopsavvy, no free nav, gps location broke. Having said that there are 3d games, pandora, fandango, tweeter client and 80% of other useful apps that other phones have.
    Mediocre battery life -Disagree, compared to competition (iphone, droid, eris) this phone is as good if not better. Lasts me whole day from 6:30AM to midnight.
    Feels cheap / plasticky -Personal preference
    Phone sometimes overheats during regular use -It gets warm but doesn't shut down due to heat so it doesn't overheat
    Palm / web os has an uncertain future -Agree, but it's ahead of its competition as it is so they could leave it alone and in two years Android maybe will catch up. Then you're eligible for NE2 and synced to Google the transfer to Android would be painless.

As a new user during my evaluation period, I can't help but compare it to the droids and upcoming in 2 weeks Incredible. iphone is on a different network that I'm not willing to switch to so it's not even in the running.

I prefer the Pre's size but would love to have a half inch bigger screen. It feels ok to view full web pages on iphone or the droid, it feels very cramped on the Pre.

I am annoyed that the location is off by sometimes a mile, I hate that I can't run Shazam. I can get around shopsavvy by using web browser with price grabber. I am disappointed that navigation is not free like on the droids.

OK, so what can I do on the Pre that I can't on the droids?
    1) I can use the phone all day without re-charging.
    2) I can search by opening the keyboard and just typing.
    3) I can share my 3G connection with 5 computers legally for free.
    4) I can run the same 3D games I can on the iphone (namely Golf, NOVA, NFS). Though it's kind of a moot point since I'm not willing to buy them, if I did I'd get the golf game in a heartbeat, but then I wouldn't get any work done.
    5) I can use WebOS and the Droids can not.
    6) I can charge it on a touchstone.

What can I do on the droids that I can't on the pre?
    1) Use web browser without feeling cramped.
    2) Use Shazam, Shopsavvy, Navigation, Voice recorder, Skype etc.
    3) I think there is a beta of flash 10.1 out for the droid.
    4) Have access to 20,000 more mindless apps and probably 10,000 useful but repeating apps giving me a bigger choice of interfaces to use in order to accomplish the same task I would on the pre.

So the choice boils down to:
    Lower price, good battery life, great ui, form factor and free hot spot vs. bigger screen, larger/better selection of apps and less bugs (see location services).

I have not yet used the hot spot app and I probably wouldn't use the Navi unless on a trip. I know two instances now where I would have used Shazam (in 6 days). I'm really torn. Incredible will probably cost another $200 so I won't go for that, but the Motorola Droid is coming down in price and I'd probably have to shell out $20 after I return the Pre and the touchstone. Decisions, decisions.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    June is right around the corner so buying an iPhone 3G, Palm Pre or a Droid is foolish because you are investing 2yrs to buy last years model.

Last year in June09 many of us jumped in line and bought the Pre without even ever touching it because this "seemed" to have it all so investing 2yrs into this mysterious device was a worthwhile risk because none of the flaws were evident at the time. But fast forward 10mo later and now that all the problems with the device, the OS, the apps and the company are out then how many people would re-invest in the same phone in Apr2010? Even if you're a diehard WebOS fan, the possibility of an new WebOS device is close enough that it would be short-sighted to lock yourself into last years tech before knowing what else is coming in a month.

To me, the only reason to buy a phone now is if you HAVE to. So if I could wait I'd wait. But if I had to get a phone right now I'd rather go to ebay and grab a used WinMo/Treo than get locked into any '09 phone on any carrier. The cellphone industry moves to fast to be impulsive.
    Last edited by Urkel; 04/15/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    I agree completely with morpheus83 and dander. i've had the pre for just a week now, so I'm still trying to figure it all out, so if i'm wrong on any of these points, please let me know.

i really like the webOS architecture, but I find it very frustrating how the simplest things have to be hacked, such as having more than 3 pages for the launcher, not being able to resize the icons or create a list view, can't renaming icons, no on-screen keyboard, etc. The touchsreen does have a lag and I find myself repeating the gestures several times to get them to work.

I'm definitely concerned about the short battery life as it seems to go down rather quickly, and I'm running into problems just downloading PDFs from the internet. And I'm not sure if it's my laptop or PSP or WinMo 6.1 phone w/wifi, but connecting to Mobile Hotspot is not as easy as it should be (I get connection error problems all the time). I'm not big on apps and I used that as an excuse for my wife who wanted an iphone, but seriously, the webOs app store is just pathetic. i can't even buy an app that does what i need.

As webOS has been out for almost a year, I feel that if i stick around, I'm going to spend the next 2 years waiting for things to happen.
    the people who say the Pre's UI doesn't lag and is as snappy as the iphone UI have clearly never used an iphone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast