Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoto20 View Post
    The touchscreen does have a lag and I find myself repeating the gestures several times to get them to work.
    I forgot to list this in my post as well. Originally I thought it only happens when the phone is loading an app or a webpage, the gesture down to make the card smaller is not working and oftentimes I also have to repeat the gestures. But I tried it now and it worked every time no matter what I was doing, so it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to when it will decide to do it.

To be fair I should mention that double-click to zoom in websites seems to work much better on the Pre than on the Android browser. It almost always works perfectly for me.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    what gesture down? to go from full screen to card view, you gesture up. to go from card view to super minimize, you tap below the card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    June is right around the corner so buying an iPhone 3G, Palm Pre or a Droid is foolish because you are investing 2yrs to buy last years model.

Last year in June09 many of us jumped in line and bought the Pre without even ever touching it because this "seemed" to have it all so investing 2yrs into this mysterious device was a worthwhile risk because none of the flaws were evident at the time. But fast forward 10mo later and now that all the problems with the device, the OS, the apps and the company are out then how many people would re-invest in the same phone in Apr2010? Even if you're a diehard WebOS fan, the possibility of an new WebOS device is close enough that it would be short-sighted to lock yourself into last years tech before knowing what else is coming in a month.

To me, the only reason to buy a phone now is if you HAVE to. So if I could wait I'd wait. But if I had to get a phone right now I'd rather go to ebay and grab a used WinMo/Treo than get locked into any '09 phone on any carrier. The cellphone industry moves to fast to be impulsive.
    While I understand (and agree with) the gist of what you're saying, I think you're overlooking a couple of things.

For those that have no reason to move from Sprint, the commitment was 12 months, not 2 years.

Your initial statement overlooks the fact that one can also buy an iPhone 3G, Palm Pre or a Droid on eBay just as easily as they can grab a used WinMo/Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus83 View Post
    I don't think you'll find one review on the pre where the reviewer thinks that the Pre keyboard is the "perfect size"

The keyboard is probably the least of my concerns about the pre. I did install the 800 Mhz kernel and it does improve the speed in which applications load. However it still does nothing to increase the responsiveness of the touchscreen. Also I am worried that running the patch will also reduce battery life and increase system heat. It doesn't help matters when Palm's official position is that you can void your warranty by overclocking.
    Press harder on the screen. The curved surface of the Pre makes it more difficult to catch touches, I find.

Keyboard's fine for me, already miles better than the one on the Centro.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    the people who say the Pre's UI doesn't lag and is as snappy as the iphone UI have clearly never used an iphone.
    that's not my experience. I have a 3g iphone; my SO has a Pre. While its snazzy in many regards, it is no where near as fast as my 3G. No comparison.

From boot up, to actually dialing a phone call, to navigating between apps, to using the maps, to typing, well anything.
    Last edited by finngirl; 04/15/2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added something
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    that's not my experience. I have a 3g iphone; my SO has a Pre. While its snazzy in many regards, it is no where near as fast as my 3G. No comparison.

From boot up, to actually dialing a phone call, to navigating between apps, to using the maps, to typing, well anything.
    I think you misread his post. Read again it says he believes the Iphone is quicker than the Pre!
    just sold another palm pre..i am on the ball
    Another iphone comparison thread? hmm... the horse is dead jim.
    lets not flame this person, be realistic guys, webos is awesome but is not the best phone mainly because of lack of support from palm, we don't have many useful apps, and the phone is kinda slow, I have heard the droid is a very good phone, I'm waiting for my upgrade date to come up to go android (evo 4g)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I think you misread his post. Read again it says he believes the Iphone is quicker than the Pre!
    Don't I feel stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by mexclean View Post
    lets not flame this person, be realistic guys, webos is awesome but is not the best phone mainly because of lack of support from palm, we don't have many useful apps, and the phone is kinda slow, I have heard the droid is a very good phone, I'm waiting for my upgrade date to come up to go android (evo 4g)
    Okay. I'm curious as to why you would try a new platform if you're satisfied with your old one. I don't bother to switch phone companies, cable, or mobile just to try out a new device. I really, really, really want new computers (laptop and desktop). I've set aside the money twice, over the past 1.5 years, and then went searching.

I just couldn't see spending the money or switching platforms when it didn't give me significant improvements over what I currently have or how I currently use my PCs. It also took me 7 years to find barstools that I liked and 12 years to find a new living room set that I believe would make me just as happy as my current one.

I've purchased the barstools, but not the living room set. I really like the set that I've found, I simply don't like it better than what I already have.

I had a Treo 700p and I was happy with it, but I didn't like the size and it froze up more that I was accustomed to (I came from Sony Clie Palm OS). I bought a launch day Pre, but never considered any of the other phones that were out there. The Blackberry was practically a one- trick pony compared to the Treo and the Iphone was big and initially a toy. I understand that the iPhone now has many apps and I see that many websites are geared for it. I still don't like the size and don't want to search through thousands of apps to hope to find the jewels to replace the apps I used on my Treo.

The OP had an iPhone, why get a Pre? If you're already satisfied with what you have, what makes you chase after the next device?

This is not a flame, but I just wonder. I keep seeing threads for will you switch to this or will you switch to that. I'm truly in a dilemma, because after the Pre, I would seriously give thought to going back to a dumb phone and a pda if the platform doesn't make it. I'm not a Palm loyalist. As mentioned, I started with a Clie. I just don't like the other stuff out there and couldn't be bothered with playing or testing most of them to see what might be good on their platforms. I'm trying to understand the other side of the moving about stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay. I'm curious as to why you would try a new platform if you're satisfied with your old one.

I love my iPhone, but it doesn't have a mobile hotspot feature. I've had to sit on my hands to avoid buying a pixi because I know the minute I do, something better will come out, like perhaps the Droid Incredible, that also has the mobile hotspot feature and more apps than the pixi.

There are so many features on smart phones that it's easy to find one or two standout features you can get with one and not the other.

-n8
    Rehash!!!!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    I love my iPhone, but it doesn't have a mobile hotspot feature. I've had to sit on my hands to avoid buying a pixi because I know the minute I do, something better will come out, like perhaps the Droid Incredible, that also has the mobile hotspot feature and more apps than the pixi.

There are so many features on smart phones that it's easy to find one or two standout features you can get with one and not the other.

-n8
    Thank you for that. How often do you think you would actually use the mobile hotspot after the first 3 months? I know it's a mi-fi spot, but I rarely use it. Most the time, I'm at home or at work where I have wi-fi. After the initial play, I use it less than once per month. If you travel a lot, it's great. If not, it's a nice convenience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12