1.    #1  
    Hey guys im really interested in buying a pre but I cant find an official number of apps. Also what will happen if they get bought out???
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Counting home brew, I think it's 2500. However, the number means very little. There are lots of useful apps, homebrew apps and patches. If what you need/what is there, the number doesn't matter.

As for the buyout, who knows. IF they get bought out it depends on what the buyer wants.
    I doubt webOS is going anywhere given it's real potential against the competition. It just needs some serious marketing to get it into the limelight.
    Its actually closer to 3k including official and homebrew!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by shane8002 View Post
    Hey guys im really interested in buying a pre but I cant find an official number of apps. Also what will happen if they get bought out???
    I have a reliable Pre which does what I want it to do and is a pleasure to use. It will probably keep operating until I am ready for my next phone. Besides that, I am confident that the homebrew community will continue to enhance it, even if the owner of WebOS doesn't. Consequently, it doesn't concern me a lot what happens to the corporate entity called Palm. Mind you, I would rather that they continued producing great webOS devices and I do wish them every success.
  6.    #6  
    im almost sold on it, ive been reading they get really hot alot, also the battery life sucks. Ive been messing around with the emulator but I dont even see a settings option anywhere to customize anything??
    I dont think the battery life is that horrible depending on your use and settings... fwiw I believe all similar phones have pretty bad battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by shane8002 View Post
    im almost sold on it, ive been reading they get really hot alot, also the battery life sucks. Ive been messing around with the emulator but I dont even see a settings option anywhere to customize anything??
    I just switch from an iPhone 3G to a Sprint Pre. The battery life depends heavily on how often it uses the radios (things like checking for new email, facebook updates, rss feeds, etc.).

I don't use bluetooth, so that's one less radio. I have it set to check my email once per hour and FB and RSS once every four hours.

Yesterday I was at work but still played with my phone more than normal. By the end of the day I had 42% battery. My wife and I carpool so I have to wait an hour after work. Another hour of watching youtube videos and playing Real Tennis and it was down to 28%.

The battery life isn't a problem for me at all. It is less than my old iPhone 3G, but it doesn't crimp my style right now and as the phone becomes less new, it will probably do even better. I should note that I don't have any speed modifications and I have low-signal wifi at work (which is said to improve battery life over EVDO).

This phone easily get's better battery life than my old G1.
    Battery life is not the be all and end all, I have a touchstone at home that I chuck the phone on for a couple of hours when I get home. I have a USB cable from my PC at work if I need to top up. The phone is amazing and is the best I have ever used. Yes it is still lacking certain basic things (for me proxy support is a biggie), but the os as a whole far out ways the negatives.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I don't understand why the number of apps should even be an issue. The question you should be trying to answer is "With the phone's standard features and available apps, will I be able to do all I want with the phone?"

If the answer is yes then the quantity of apps is irrelevant.

Palm getting bought out may not be a concern depending on how you answer the above. Even if Palm tanks and you toss the phone and WebOS in a couple years, how much will you have "wasted" on apps. Not much I would say. Regardless, I think it will be a while before there are significant changes at Palm and their support. Just wait, a new device and updated WebOS is coming, will that help - who knows.

Buy it
    Dan
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    You should ask yourself what apps you want. There are 4 apps on VZW available on the droid that are not available on the pre and they all are hugely popular.
    1) Shazam - Tells you what song is playing on the radio
    2) Shopsavvy - scan a barcode it tells you where it's cheapest (inluding local retailers)
    3) Skype
    4) Navigation, it's available for $10 per month.

The pre has a killer apps of its own, the webos itself and mobile hot spot (share 3g connection with up to 5 wireless G devices) which is totally free on the Pre and not available on the other phones.
  12.    #12  
    this is what bother me too

The Palm Pre has been known to suffer from some quality issues. The slider mechanism sometimes becomes sensitive, loose and wiggly, causing a problem that has become known as the "Oreo Twist" by users.[25] Palm aimed to address the issue with the Pre Plus, making the slider mechanism stronger. The screen has been known to be overly sensitive, sometimes cracking from being in a pocket, and the headphone jack sometimes ceases working.[26] A problem seen with the introduction of the Palm Pre Plus is characters appearing twice when typing, although the user has only hit the key once.[27] Many reviews have noted the poor build quality of the phones, deeming the build quality "only so-so." [28] In Engadget's second open letter to Palm, they stated, "Hardware issues which plagued the Pre, with no outward acknowledgment or rush to correct." [29] They added, "We've seen countless reports, read too many blog posts to recall, and heard all sorts of horror stories about broken sliders, power buttons that stop functioning, the "Oreo cookie" effect, and more. Hell, even our first review unit broke!"
    I think your best bet is to just od a 30 day trial with the phone... the pricing (assuming vz here) is so good that the value propsition makes sense to many people. As for apps..There will always be more and more apps..esp when we get an official count of how many devices are now out there with these types of prices. I get the feeling vz is moving tons of phones. Globally I dont know where sales are but AT&T may also help move more product to get the ecosystem to continue to grow. You could always go pixi too if you want the os but not the slider.
  14.    #14  
    Na i defenintley want the pre but I dont want it to break or anything I know phones glitch and im cool with that, ive had a touchscreen phone before and it stopped working after 2 months so I got stuck in contract for 2 years with a useless phone, thats all im sayin i dont want it breaking. And I don't want it if it's fragile as an egg either lol.
  15.    #15  
    aight guys im getting the pre next friday