Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Could that above formula hold true? Palm's seeming last chance for survival hinges on its launch with AT&T. The Sprint and Verizon launches left a lot to be desired (for various reasons). Now, they are down to their last of the big three to make a big impression on the general public. Will they do the smart thing and really market the heck out of the phone leading up to the AT&T launch? Apple created so much desire leading up to their launch with some pretty simple commercials. If you put the Palm Pre Plus in a commercial, it'd catch eyes b/c it's a great looking device. Then start showing people what it can do and you'd win a lot of people over. As accurately pointed out in another thread, the biggest problem Palm has faced is that the average person just doesn't even know about the Pre (or Plus), while the whole world knows about the iPhone. So, will there be a lot of marketing for it?

I'm already a Ple Plus owner, so the launch at AT&T only affects me in terms of Palm's future. Now, if the launch at AT&T is successful enough and they get the device in enough new hands, could that lead to increased app development, which could in turn lead to more Pre Plus devices being sold, etc?
    i thought they have enough to last another year? so why would att be their only chance? I'm planning on getting it though!

and maybe att will give a huge launch if apple decides to go with att and verizon
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Nice thing about at&t is that the smartphone competition is actually not as stiff as it is at Verizon. I'm betting it will sell better at at&t than it has at Vz.

It still may not be enough to make Palm profitable, but it will be better than nothing. There are other international launches too, and those will be good.
    I wish they just hurry and release the thing already.
    Honestly on AT&T they don't have to worry about sales so much. With the iPhone they know if they can't make a sale, they can revert back to the iPhone because it's super easy to sell it. So I'm guessing they'll start selling the Pre easy and if it ends up going against them, they'll just go back to the iPhone. Verizon is trying to make up for their lack of iPhone, so they want as much sales as possible. AT&T is alot more relaxed.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Could that above formula hold true? Palm's seeming last chance for survival hinges on its launch with AT&T. The Sprint and Verizon launches left a lot to be desired (for various reasons). Now, they are down to their last of the big three to make a big impression on the general public. Will they do the smart thing and really market the heck out of the phone leading up to the AT&T launch? Apple created so much desire leading up to their launch with some pretty simple commercials. If you put the Palm Pre Plus in a commercial, it'd catch eyes b/c it's a great looking device. Then start showing people what it can do and you'd win a lot of people over. As accurately pointed out in another thread, the biggest problem Palm has faced is that the average person just doesn't even know about the Pre (or Plus), while the whole world knows about the iPhone. So, will there be a lot of marketing for it?

I'm already a Ple Plus owner, so the launch at AT&T only affects me in terms of Palm's future. Now, if the launch at AT&T is successful enough and they get the device in enough new hands, could that lead to increased app development, which could in turn lead to more Pre Plus devices being sold, etc?
    I used to work for ATT and when the Pre first came out we had a lot of calls about getting it on ATT. So yeah I could see it being a big success.
    One of the main keys is going to be training the ATT salespeople on the Palm devices. As we all know ATT is not going to pitt the Pre against the iPhone, so the way webOS phones are marketed and the preparation of the salespeople in the stores is going to make the critical difference in the success of this launch IMHO.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I really don't see AT&T as "Palm's last chance". I expect to see more and more Pac/Asia carriers next year. I believe that will be Palm's real "last chance", barring a take over or buy-in by someone with deep deep pockets.
    If palm has success with AT&T then I would be very happy for palm. And will mean more apps and support for us. But if they don't then I just wouldn't know what to think. At that point I would think people just don't care about the pre and pixi. But I hope that's not the case and palm does well.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    One of the main keys is going to be training the ATT salespeople on the Palm devices. As we all know ATT is not going to pitt the Pre against the iPhone, so the way webOS phones are marketed and the preparation of the salespeople in the stores is going to make the critical difference in the success of this launch IMHO.
    i agree with you. hopefully Palm has REALLY learned its lesson from Verizon.
    As Hparson said, ATT isn't Palm's last chance. Palm is slowly adding more carriers such as Vodafone in Europe and they're entering Asia in July with the China Telecom deal. Those are important steps.

But no one should expect that ATT is going to implement a massive marketing campaign for the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus. ATT will probably advertise a little but it's not going to be a large Droid type of thing such as what Verizon did with Droid.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    As Hparson said, ATT isn't Palm's last chance. Palm is slowly adding more carriers such as Vodafone in Europe
    Yeah, they added Vodafone in Germany... where they already launched last year. Not being a *****, but how about adding a couple of the other 45 countries in Europe, Palm? Seriously..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Yeah, they added Vodafone in Germany... where they already launched last year. Not being a *****, but how about adding a couple of the other 45 countries in Europe, Palm? Seriously..
    I suspect that if they're bought by someone, then you'll eventually see them expand to all 45 countries.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    My feeling is ATT will sell better than Verizon.Thanks to iPhone, there are many iPhone owners with expired contracts on ATT. Now they need a new toy. They can try the new slick phone or stick with the "same old" iPhone.
    Second thing is about games. Most of the gaming apps from iPhone platform are coming to Pre. That makes Pre even more attractive for existing iPhone owners.
    Iphone 4.0 on Verzion and not AT&T = hopefully a new WebOS phone on AT&T = Sales... What else phone does AT&T got besides the Iphone?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Second thing is about games. Most of the gaming apps from iPhone platform are coming to Pre. That makes Pre even more attractive for existing iPhone owners.
    Not everybody want games. I want productive apps from big developers or kind of big developers.
    My feeling is ATT will sell better than Verizon.Thanks to iPhone, there are many iPhone owners with expired contracts on ATT. Now they need a new toy. They can try the new slick phone or stick with the "same old" iPhone.
    Pricing will drive this competition with consumers. The iPhone is already firmly entrenched in most consumer's heads. The Pre will have to overcome that.

For the techies, the recent news that AT&T is in 3rd place when it comes to total data traffic (behind Verizon and Sprint) should make them think twice before committing to AT&T's substandard network.
    I don't see it happening..selling better than previous US launches that is. Sprint offered free navigation and cheaper monthly plans. Verizon offered hotspot app and now has made it free in addition to aggressively cutting the price.

AT&T has done...well...nothing. A yellow pages app? And will charge for their version of sprint nav. Plus they're planning on charging 149 initially.

Smartphone competition is more than just the iphone, which by itself is pretty significant considering the time of year. But Nexus is available. Samsung Galaxy S is thought to be coming soon but still not confirmed by AT&T.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/15/2010 at 08:20 AM.
    The thing about iPhone users is it might be hard for them to move off the phone when their contracts expired since they probably spent a good chunk of change on the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't see it happening..selling better than previous US launches that is. Sprint offered free navigation and cheaper monthly plans. Verizon offered hotspot app and now has made it free in addition to aggressively cutting the price.

AT&T has done...well...nothing. A yellow pages app? And will charge for their version of sprint nav. Plus they're planning on charging 149 initially.
    ATT hasn't done anything special but the phone isn't even available on their network as of yet so we still have no idea what they'll do. Initially, I don't expect ATT to do anything aggressive with the price or offer free nav or some type of hotspot.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Smartphone competition is more than just the iphone, which by itself is pretty significant considering the time of year. But Nexus is available. Samsung Galaxy S is thought to be coming soon but still not confirmed by AT&T.
    Nexus is only available at full price and customers can't go into the store and feel it so it is a phone that is still relegated to a very small market; i.e. the techies and not the good people of flyover country. Samsung Galaxy S has not been confirmed on ATT but it could be coming to ATT.

Pricing will be important for Palm.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast